Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolka Salmon

Options
  • 28-09-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭

Great news, and a credit to the cleanliness of the city, the bay and the rivers. A first for any European capital, three rivers in the same city with spawning wild salmon!

Edit: Probably not a first, but the only European capital to have three rivers spawning presently...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0928/salmon.html

Wild Atlantic salmon have begun reproducing in Dublin's Tolka River for the first time in at least 100 years.
    The re-colonisation was spotted by Inland Fisheries Ireland during a recent review of fish stocks.
    Following works carried out as part of the Tolka River's flood relief scheme, a number of man-made weirs were removed or modified - thereby opening up the river to migratory fish.
    Now, young wild Atlantic salmon have been sighted in three locations in the Tolka in the Glasnevin and Finglas areas.
    As salmon can only survive in clean water, their presence also reflects efforts to reduce pollution levels in the river.
    Inland Fisheries Ireland says in environmental terms the discovery is an important step forward.
    Dublin now has three rivers producing wild salmon stocks - the Liffey, Dodder and Tolka - making it the only European capital city to hold such an accolade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Great news, and a credit to the cleanliness of the city, the bay and the rivers.

great news indeed,i wish now they would clean up the canal and restock it,i havent been able to catch any perch / roche or any of the other native fishes for a few years now,sick of casting in and gettin tangled up on shopping trolleys, old bikes and plastic bags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Haven't caught Perch in the canal in years,remember when I was a youngster all I'd need to do was drop my line in for a minute or so and I'd have one,mad how it's changed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Like it or lump it but its foreign nationals who have destroyed much of the freshwater fishing in this country..they kill every fish they catch with no provision for stock preservation...The Canal is NOT the Black Sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Degsy wrote: »
    Like it or lump it but its foreign nationals who have destroyed much of the freshwater fishing in this country..they kill every fish they catch with no provision for stock preservation...The Canal is NOT the Black Sea!

Irish people do a pretty good job at destroying our rivers through pollution. I wouldn't put the sole blame on foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Irish people do a pretty good job at destroying our rivers through pollution. I wouldn't put the sole blame on foreigners.

The bay, the rivers and canals in Dublin are clean, cleaner than most rural, slurry and overflowing septic tank affected waterways! They support salmon, otters, and a multitude of marine, insect and bird life. Trolleys and bike frames are awful to look at, but are not as harmful as toxins.

Lads, the IWAI organise canal clean ups if you are interested. I was involved in one years ago, tough work, but rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You know, I was reading the OP and thinking - 'damn is it good to be advertising the locations of these fish sightings' for the very reason you mention.

I just hope these spots are properly policed now.

Good point, but, in fairness, it's on the RTE news and anyone with some knowledge will see them making their way upriver. I don't know if my post is going to have an effect. Maybe they should keep it quiet like the raptor releases around the country?

I just hope these spots are properly policed now.

Course they're not..you could net every inch of the tolka up from the botanic gardens and nobody would say boo to you.

I was watching a fishing programme recently and one of our foreign friends was caught with over 100 fingerling trout that he's netted from a small stretch of river in an afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Every time somebody mentions a foreigner doing wrong, some Irish clown has to counter balance it by saying "well, Irish people do x, y and z".

I am surprised a lawyer, whilst defending a foreign national, hasnt said to a judge, "YOUR HONOUR, Jamal/Kristof/Zhen/This arab lad committed a crime, but its part of his culture and shure arent there loads of Irish/Paddies drunk each weekend causing havoc in the town'.

He would probably get him off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Wow, there were foreign nationals taking salmon and sea trout off rivers in the 70', 80's and 90's. as long as there is a blame someone else mentality in Ireland things will neevr improve.

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    Wow, there were foreign nationals taking salmon and sea trout off rivers in the 70', 80's and 90's. as long as there is a blame someone else mentality in Ireland things will neevr improve.

Very few Irish people ever killed coarse fish..largely because they taste disgusting and we dont as a nation eat them.

People from Eastern Europe will happily kill and eat Roach,Rudd,Bream and Pike..they start fishing for them and suddenly the stocks collapse..QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Good point, but, in fairness, it's on the RTE news and anyone with some knowledge will see them making their way upriver. I don't know if my post is going to have an effect. Maybe they should keep it quiet like the raptor releases around the country?

I wasn't getting at you at all.. Tbh, had it not been a story you linked to an RTE story I'd have given some consideration to taking the locations out.

Some discussions in the Nature & Bird Watching forum are moderated along similar lines.

Lads, the dogs in the streets know where the problem lies in relation to fish stocks in Irish rivers and canals so don't go getting your knickers in a twist about it, yes there has been some pollution and neglect of our waterways but the problem of foreign nationals cleaning wholes sections of canals & rivers of fish is well documented and just because they're foreign nationals doesn't mean we've to tip toe around the issue either.

Anyway Degsy your point is noted, and I largely agree with you but since this isn't the angling forum we'll leave it at this.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Some of the foreign nationals dont just stop at fish,they are killing and eating ducks and swans and all sorts,it was on an rte program a couple years back,i was shocked,so yes it has been well documented.its not racist or putting the blame onto others..

Salmon are tasty fishes,i just hope there will be some kind of surveilance on them even if its only minimal

I relation to salmon stocks the foreign nationals arent to blame for this one..the wholesale overfishing by commercial boats at sea is largely what has destroyed the species.
    We can clean up rivers as much as we like but if there are no salmon left to run up them we might as well forget about it.

if there are no salmon left to run up them we might as well forget about it.

But there are salmon, spawning on all three rivers and in the bay! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

So if those evil forrideners are catching all the fish, do they use special hooks that don't catch salmon or something? Did you people even read the article before going off on your xenophobic rants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

So if those evil forrideners are catching all the fish, do they use special hooks that don't catch salmon or something? Did you people even read the article before going off on your xenophobic rants?

Sod off. You know nothing about the local fishing, you're just weighing in because you percieve people are being racist.

There arent enough salmon left to make it worth the foreigners while trying to catch them and the well-known salmon spots tend to be owned by private rod clubs which are well-policed and full of legitimate anglers during the season.

However a stretch of the canal can be fished to death very quickly by people(almost always foreigners) taking and killing EVERYTHING They catch,adult,juvenile,it makes no difference.

Anybody can catch perch with a cheap rod and a worm and i've seen half-pound pike being killed in Blessington lakes by Polish lads who got extremely angry with me when i told them what they were doing was against the law and fcucking unsporting to boot.

If you dont want to see the truth thats fine but keep your snide accusations of xenophobia for your knitting circle...these fcukers are destroying Irish rescources for thier own ignorant,greedy reasons and we should be prosecuting the hell out of them NOT defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I used to fish up in Blessington up to maybe a year or two ago,but was blue in the face trying to explain to the eastern european lads that keeping their pikes and such wasn't on.Nothing xenophobic about that,I never saw any Irish lads trying to take home a small pike.

Often times they'd have a bag full of fish and they'd be there when I got there and still be fishing away when I'd be leaving at ten or eleven at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

People from Eastern Europe will happily kill and eat Roach,Rudd,Bream and Pike..they start fishing for them and suddenly the stocks collapse..QED.

A causation implying correlation is not QED. You'd need more than hearsay and opinion to prove that it was 'foreigners' what that killed all the fish.
    There arent enough salmon left to make it worth the foreigners while trying to catch them and the well-known salmon spots tend to be owned by private rod clubs which are well-policed and full of legitimate anglers during the season.

However a stretch of the canal can be fished to death very quickly by people(almost always foreigners) taking and killing EVERYTHING They catch,adult,juvenile,it makes no difference.

So, in one instance, there are salmon (a relatively expensive fish) present but the foreigners don't bother, but in another they'll kill EVERYTHING, even crappy little fish that nobody usually eats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The problem is that these things aren't being adepuately policed. It is much more stringently policed in other countries and troublemakers (of whatever nationality) know this.

What letters do we need to send to get this right?

A causation implying correlation is not QED. You'd need more than hearsay and opinion to prove that it was 'foreigners' what that killed all the fish.

And what do you know about fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

And what do you know about fishing?

More than I know about insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

When you see the Tolka, Canal, Liffey or Dodder at low tide, the amount of rubbish in them that could easily be cleared out is staggering. The Liffey flows past the city council offices in town. When it is at low tide, you can see the rubbish in it. Surely someone up there could come up with the radical and novel idea of cleaning it up. Look at the Tolka at Annesley Bridge at low tide, and you could nearly walk in and pick up the rubbish. If they could do that, which would not be a major job, the rivers of Dublin could have a lot more fish in them.

Flukey wrote: »
    Look at the Tolka at Annesley Bridge at low tide, and you could nearly walk in and pick up the rubbish. If they could do that, which would not be a major job, the rivers of Dublin could have a lot more fish in them.

Traffic cones, bike frames and trolleys don't kill fish. They do look manky in the river though, and your right, DCC should do something, but they probably blame the OPW, who in turn will look to the DDDA, who will point the finger at Waterworks Ireland... and so on. East Wall Watersports grabbed the bull by the horns and did a massive clean up years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Good luck to the salmon in the Tolka. If the outlanders don't get them, the diesel will.

There was diesel/kerosene in the Tolka at Glasnevin on Thursday. This happens a few times a year in my experience. Does anyone have any idea how far upstream the pollution is happening?

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement