Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specific Learning Objectives

• 28-09-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've just been asked to put together a list of learning objectives for an entire year.

I'm just wondering; what exactly does this mean?

Do I just go through the scheme of work and say "By the end of this module, the students will be able to...."
    ?

Thanks in advance

p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

More or less.
    What is the subject/year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

More or less.
    What is the subject/year?

Thanks Rainbowtrout.

Subjects are Languages, 2nd and 3rd year and English 2nd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I have no idea of those subjects, I'm science, but in a scheme of work you would generally outline the topics you would cover for the year - based on the syllabus, not on the textbook you are working from. So don't write down 'will cover chapter 2,3, 4 on how to ask for directions in French' or whatever.

Follow the syllabus guidelines instead.

I guess in terms of SLOs, taking that as an example, you might flesh it out more, students will be able to communicate the above orally, give written directions, identify signposts, understand oral communication from another French speaker, appreciate the differences between Irish culture and French culture etc (where relevant).

I'm sure the language teachers here will give better examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

A FETAC language module may give you some idea of how to write SLOs. Here's the level 5 French one http://www.fetac.ie/doc/WelcomeServlet?DocId=0901df9e80002150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Specific learning objectives for an entire year means; you have to state for each lesson what is the objective of the lesson - ie what exactly is it you want them to learn specifically in each lesson. Specific Learning Objective means to express your objectives in terms of being able to assess briefly at the end of the lesson whether students have learned the objective or not.
    So for example; I dont know languages but..
    Non Specific learning objectives- I want students to learn the irregular verbs in french

Specific Learning Objectives ' - Lesson I - how to use "etre" in present tense situations
    Lesson 2 how you use etre in past.
    lesson 3 - how to use etre in the future
    Lesson 4 - avoir ...and so on.

its a lot of work to map out for every lesson for a year, but if you do it once, then you have it done and you can just re -tweak it every year after that. I was at a conference of teachers with an Inspector. This was the message on Specific Learning Objectives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement