Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dace friend or foe ?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering what peoples opinions are on dace ,reason I ask is that in the last 4-5 years our local stretch of river has been populated by dace .This year they are getting quiet big some over 1lb ,personally I dont mind them at least ur catching fish,but some members hate them and when they catch them just throe them out on the banks ,intrested to see are there any views on this good or bad thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dace are a great fish for sport & any fish close to the 1lb mark is a good specimen. The British record is not much above 1lb but they seem to thrive in Irish rivers.

Dace are not dissimilar to Roach & certainly do no harm

I'm horrified to think that any angler no matter what discipline would "throw a fish onto the bank" though ?

Which river are we talking about here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Andip wrote: »
    Dace are a great fish for sport & any fish close to the 1lb mark is a good specimen. The British record is not much above 1lb but they seem to thrive in Irish rivers.

I'm horrified to think that any angler no matter what discipline would "throw a fish onto the bank" though ?

+1

That is a disgusting practise to hear being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

How can you say they do no harm any fish being put into a river that is not natural to that river is not a good thing.
    The competition for food being a major factor and this practice which is going on for some time now of putting coarse fish into our rivers is totally wreckless by coarse anglers and they should have a good look a themselfs.

natdog wrote: »
    How can you say they do no harm any fish being put into a river that is not natural to that river is not a good thing.
    The competition for food being a major factor and this practice which is going on for some time now of putting coarse fish into our rivers is totally wreckless by coarse anglers and they should have a good look a themselfs.

I didn't necessarily read 'populated' as illegally introduced, that's why I asked which river the OP was talking about. If you look at the Blackwater or the Barrow, both rivers have a good natural head, but they are present in many other waters.

Just a quick check on the Inland Fisheries website lists:

"Some of the best dace waters in Ireland: Munster Blackwater River at Fermoy and Mallow Co. Cork, the River Barrow at all centres; Doon Lake near Broadford in Co. Clare and the lower River Shannon near Annacotty outside Limerick."

I agree if you are talking about non native species or species not natural to the river, but I think you'll find Dace are fairly widespread and would doubt the need to artificially introduce them.

While I didnt realise they are in some of our watersystems such a long time 1880`s they are a problem fish and are on the invasive species list and I would have no problem with lads removing them from a waterway.
    I also think anyone caught introducing fish to a waterway without approval should face serious punishment.

• Advertisement

While I didnt realise they are in some of our watersystems such a long time 1880`s they are a problem fish and are on the invasive species list and I would have no problem with lads removing them from a waterway.
    I also think anyone caught introducing fish to a waterway without approval should face serious punishment.

Which invasive list are the on out of interest - not on the IFB list ?

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Invasive-Species/invasive-species-list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

So are Carp and Chub, Roach are not native to Ireland either

Dace are actually great fun to fish for on moving water and if as OP say they are reaching 1lb, these are huge fish by Dace standards

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Out of interest when were Dace actually introduced, and what harm have they done to the water systems containing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

uch wrote: »

Dace are actually great fun to fish for on moving water and if as OP say they are reaching 1lb, these are huge fish by Dace standards

exactly, people forget that roach are not native.

what is the chub situation in the inny at the moment? I know there was a huge effort to remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

barrow laois end

• Advertisement

viper123 wrote: »
    Out of interest when were Dace actually introduced, and what harm have they done to the water systems containing them?
    Its only in the last 4-5 years that they came around our stretch some say they were introduced by anglers fishing for pike .im not actually sure how they came about but it wouldnt be uncommon to see 10-15 of them on the bank in places depends who is fishing as regards harm they do im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

exactly, people forget that roach are not native.

what is the chub situation in the inny at the moment? I know there was a huge effort to remove them

last i heard they were succesfully removed, thankfully!!! the damage these fish would do to trout spawning grounds would be devastating!!!
    jail sentences should be introduced to the fools who do this!!!!

Stupid question but how would one remove them ,would there always be eggs left or the odd one avoid removal ,and are they prolific breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

madred006 wrote: »
    Stupid question but how would one remove them ,would there always be eggs left or the odd one avoid removal ,and are they prolific breeders.
    several yrs of electro-fishing i believe was used to remove the fish, the last number of sweeps they did they found none that was up to last yr some time, i havent heard anything on it since

Which invasive list are the on out of interest - not on the IFB list ?

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Invasive-Species/invasive-species-list.html
    invasive species ireland
    www.invasivespeciesireland.com

uch wrote: »

Whats your point about carp etc.
    It doesnt make it right just because there good fun.

viper123 wrote: »
    they do damage to gravel beds and gather around these areas when salmon are laying.

Seems to be a misconception here that rivers in Ireland are all game fishing rivers - the Barrow for example is a great coarse fishing river & I first fished it back in 1980.

Similar is happening with the Blackwater in Cork where the lands are having 'rights preserved' by Salmon & trout societies & course fisherman who have fished these sections for years are being closed out.

Thanks for the link to the invasive species site natdog - I hadn't realised the similarity in Dace/Game breeding habitats.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

barrow laois end

I'm plagued by them when fishing various stretches of the Barrow. I've had some big ones this summer, but when you're out after brownies- it can become a pain...

Whats your point about carp etc.
    It doesnt make it right just because there good fun.

I disagree, carp were introduced into ireland for angling purposes, some were introduced into the shannon without any problems. However, I do not agree with their introduction (or any invasive species) to any river lake in the country where they can escape into the wild. If contained properly, in land locked lakes, then I dont see the problem. Same goes for tench

Dace are an invasive species, and if they are having a serious knock on effect on the natural fish species, they should be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

that is very much so open to question.

I disagree, carp were introduced into ireland for angling purposes, some were introduced into the shannon without any problems. However, I do not agree with their introduction (or any invasive species) to any river lake in the country where they can escape into the wild. If contained properly, in land locked lakes, then I dont see the problem. Same goes for tench

Dace are an invasive species, and if they are having a serious knock on effect on the natural fish species, they should be removed.
    Ethan Old Typesetter I dont know what you disagree with me your making the same point as me.

frankcarty I dont know what you disagree with me your making the same point as me.

i was disagreeing with "It doesnt make it right just because there good fun."
    but, otherwise our views are the same :)

just as matter of intrest what do anglers on the blackwater and other rivers do with them ,ie. do they just return them or kill them :eek:.

just as matter of intrest what do anglers on the blackwater and other rivers do with them ,ie. do they just return them or kill them :eek:.

We would treat them with respect & care - return them unharmed to fight another day. I'm horrified to think that people would deliberately kill them.

The Blackwater like the Barrow has had Dace for many many years & whilst I'm sympathetic to the damage they cause to trout breeding (for which I'm appreciative of natdogs postings) - to take the law into your hands and kill a fish is taking us back into the dark days of dumping pike onto the bank.

If we condone this type of action we may as well provide free bbq's to people involved in illegal fishing

Apologies to OP as I'm not ranting at you :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Dace? Why not brown trout?
    One is Irish, the other a continental specie, both occupy the same niche. The Irish native version fights harder, and grows bigger.

The problem is introduced species never stay where they are because there are certain people who put them in buckets and introduce them into still more fisheries. This can't be stopped because the culprits are many, and act unsupervised.
    They innocently want to "improve the fishing" rather than learn to catch what is already there like anglers should.

Some day in the future, the authorities will turn to poisoning irish fisheries to clean out invasive species, and amateur stockers will have caused it to happen. I shudder at the certainty of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

You only have to look at the severe damage the introduction of non native species has done to Australia's native fish stocks to appreciate what can happen.

In Australia it is illegal to return non-native species like carp, if you catch one.

I'm not fully au fait with dace that have been introduced here, and perhaps there are justifable reasons for introducing them on some wateways, i.e. where they are that polluted dace are the only fish that would thrive there (I don't know that)? But I don't know enough to comment about not returning them.

That said in general I'd be against the introduction of non-native fish to our water systems. Our systems have evolved over thousands of years and need no meddling with in terms of introducing more species.

coolwings wrote: »
    Some day in the future, the authorities will turn to poisoning irish fisheries to clean out invasive species

or just introduce some zander to take care of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Dace? Why not brown trout?

exactly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It is illegal to stock carp into any water where they are not native, landlocked or not. Unless you create a new habitat by digging out a pond, and install measures to prevent any escapes, carp cannot be introduced anywhere. I had this discussion with a senior member of the Irish Carp Club a few years ago at an angling show and he completely disagreed, he thought it was fine to put them in lakes here, there and everywhere. Just shows the attitude of some people who only care about their sport, and not about the damage invasive species can cause.

Advertisement