Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEWARE! Bogus home insulation "contractors" scam in Waterford area.

• 28-09-2011 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have seen on the MX, that a gang of travellers are now roaming waterford under the guise of being home insulation "contractors" who will insulate yer house for a competitive price. Fine until they turn up and spend the day working around the house drilling holes and going into the attic - but the whole thing is a scam, they don't install any insulation - just drill holes in the wall and insert a piece of pipe and then patch up the holes once the wall is "insulated". Same with the attics, they just fooster around to give the impression of work being carried out.
    So in the end they do nothing, no insulation, no warm home - they just rip you off.

Needless to say, I suspect the ripping you off part is just half of their plan - they will use the time on the job to case you home and spot anything that is valuable and worth robbing and to get an idea of your movements. Then a week or so later they come when your out and rob the place. Exact same tactic as the age old scam of offering to paint sheds for farmers, an excuse to get in and spot valuable items for later theft.

TBH though, anyone facilitating of their "service" is clearly naieve and gullible beyond a joke and is totally asking for it. I mean if you want a house insulated, you get a reputable company from the golden pages or whatever - the guys hawking around door to door obviously wouldn't be anything other than the cowboys and chancers at best, and thives and knackers at worst.
    So, beware, you have been warned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

thanks for the warning, and stating the obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've just read this out to my husband and he said someone he knows have seen them at this and slowed down to watch them and he was threatened.

what area of the city are they targeting does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

snuggles09 wrote: »

Ah come on you mean you don't know? Shur it's obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Wonder was this the same gang from last year around August/September they hit Lismore Park it was a big Scam I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I too would like to know where this is happening??
    Boooourns wrote: »

Not to me it's not :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Put on a Polish accent and say you "are tenant", then check the van details.

hows it obvious? i honestly don't know..i havent seen them anywhere around where i am and i'm in the Kilcohan area and there are always travellers out here knocking but this lot havent..was just curious is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

thanks for the warning, and stating the obvious
    hows it obvious? i honestly don't know..i havent seen them anywhere around where i am and i'm in the Kilcohan area and there are always travellers out here knocking but this lot havent..was just curious is all

I was referring to your first post :p

• Advertisement

I was referring to your first post :p

whats that clanking? aaahhh, it's the penny dropping:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

its hardly the same group that were wheelin around the eu tarmackin drives with tarred shale, till 2 of them they tried to rip off the wrong clients and were found with their heads encased in a foot square of concrete... real head cases thinkin they could get away with ripping people off..
    nearer to home an 11D jeep of them was spinning round the town centre last evening selling "bargains" out the windows dont thinking they were giving reciepts tho.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Live in the country side of waterford but have family living in town, so its not too clear to me where there trying, could someone tell me or send me a pm so i can warn family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Brother works for a proper insulating crowd(yaeh,thats the technical term?) He told me about these guys about a year ago.Apparently ,every couple of houses they do is repairing houses these guys have claimed to do.I don't feel too sorry for the majority of the houses cause , according to what I've heard its mainly people in supposedly good areas that consider themselves wealthy that have been hiring these guys cause they prefer to pay a third of the cost and use no common sense out of greed and then only realize a few months later that they've basically had **** and rubbish pumped into their walls.Seriously , if some one offers to do a job for a third of the going price and keep calling you boss,what do you expect to happen. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Meatwad wrote: »
    Brother works for a proper insulating crowd(yaeh,thats the technical term?) He told me about these guys about a year ago.Apparently ,every couple of houses they do is repairing houses these guys have claimed to do.I don't feel too sorry for the majority of the houses cause , according to what I've heard its mainly people in supposedly good areas that consider themselves wealthy that have been hiring these guys cause they prefer to pay a third of the cost and use no common sense out of greed and then only realize a few months later that they've basically had **** and rubbish pumped into their walls.Seriously , if some one offers to do a job for a third of the going price and keep calling you boss,what do you expect to happen. You get what you pay for.

The thing about it is, you can more or less spot these chancers off a mile away.

I also don't understand why people don't ask for references or examples of previous work. It seems fools and their money are easily parted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The thing about it is, you can more or less spot these chancers off a mile away.

I also don't understand why people don't ask for references or examples of previous work. It seems fools and their money are easily parted.

I'm nearly 95 right........ and in the vulnerable category but one thing I've known over the years is that the only things I would buy at the door of my house are... and still only 'maybe' window cleaning and gutter cleaning but in these times that we live in I wouldn't let anyone near me gutters unless they were from a company I approached or a neighbour had recommended them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I'm nearly 95 right........ and in the vulnerable category but one thing I've known over the years is that the only things I would buy at the door of my house are... and still only 'maybe' window cleaning and gutter cleaning but in these times that we live in I wouldn't let anyone near me gutters unless they were from a company I approached or a neighbour had recommended them.
    You're nearly 95?! Boards oldest member?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

danjo-xx wrote: »

I wouldn't even trust them to clean the Gutters. What they usually do is pretend to clean them, and then show you the contents of the gutter in a bucket which they've gotten from a previous cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

AdMMM wrote: »
    You're nearly 95?! Boards oldest member?

:D well in this forum maybe!

Advertisement