Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Clubs

• 28-09-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All, I've recently moved to waterford and want to spread my circle and get to know new people. I would really appreciate ideas on clubs etc to join.... Is there a macra club in Waterford city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 missrua

Hi there bubbles 21
    Welcome to Waterford! J
    Iv never actually posted on this before just usually look... but turns out im on the committee of Waterford city macra!
    Its great fun – we have a full calendar of events from now to Christmas... lots of nights out, competitions – drama, bowling, public speaking, gaa 7 a side, etc
    We always welcome new members and were a very friendly bunch J were having a meeting in the mansion house next thurs 6th oct at mansion house at eight – come along!
    If you want anymore info pm me or check out our new facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bubbles221

Hi Missrua,
    Thanks for that...I'll check out your facebook account...sounds like there is a lot going on anyway. I'm not sure where the mansion house is...is it in the city...i can google tho!

Loads going on - theses something for everyone! you can aslo check out the main macra website for more details!

i moved to waterford three years ago and joined macra to meet people! iv made great friends :)

masion house address - 39 johnstown waterford - I usually park in the car park next to storm cinema and go in the back of the pub - the entrance is facing you as you walk out of the car park towards cinema...

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

here is a google map link - hope that helps!

im sure wel go out for a few sociables after so itll be a good night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

What's Macra??

Macra is an organisation for 17 - 35 year olds - taken directly from macra website......
    As a member of Macra you are firstly a member of your local club. You will make new friends and will do new things. The club has a chairperson, secretary, treasurer and PRO, all of whom are elected by the club members each year.
    The members decide on the programme of activities for the club. All members are encouraged to take part in some activities. This will include social activities and personal development through participation in competitions, travel, sport and agriculture, depending upon your preferences. Through your club you will come in contact with members from other clubs in your county and throughout Ireland.

We had a stand at the Waterford Harvest festival showing the activities we do...

its great fun - if you have any questions fire them away... or if you wanna pm me feel free :)

like i said new members are always welcome

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

missrua wrote: »
    Macra is an organisation for 17 - 35 year olds - taken directly from macra website......
    As a member of Macra you are firstly a member of your local club. You will make new friends and will do new things. The club has a chairperson, secretary, treasurer and PRO, all of whom are elected by the club members each year.

The members decide on the programme of activities for the club. All members are encouraged to take part in some activities. This will include social activities and personal development through participation in competitions, travel, sport and agriculture, depending upon your preferences. Through your club you will come in contact with members from other clubs in your county and throughout Ireland.

We had a stand at the Waterford Harvest festival showing the activities we do...

its great fun - if you have any questions fire them away... or if you wanna pm me feel free :)

like i said new members are always welcome

:)

Cheers.
    What's the website

www.macra.ie

or check out our facebook page - waterfordcitymacra

this month we
    -went to the cinema to see the inbetweeners
    -went on a weekend away to kilkenny and meath
    -took part in an impromptu debating competition

we have a good mix of men and women and good variety of ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

im part of the Waterford living history society
    group of about 25 ppl meet every Thurs in Revolution Basement Bar
    we discuss the history of Vikings in Waterford
    Dress as Vikings in period authentic costumes - practice sword play & battle scenes.
    we also attend local festivals in costume.

Hi again, I was a member of macra before in Kilkenny...it was great sometimes there are misconceptions that its all about rural stuff but this couldn't be further from the truth. Its a great club to be involved in because it gives you a chance to be involved in all sorts of activities be it sports (eg tag rugby, volleyball) or debating etc or just meeting up for drinks, cinema, etc. For those of us who want to dabble in things but don't want to committ to sports two nights a week and every weekend you can participate less seriously while still being part of a team. Im delighted to hear there is a club in Waterford...i'd advise everyone to at least try it out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 littlemiss46

That sounds like alot of fun!I think Ill go along to the meeting and see how I go,Im new to the area too and looking to meet new people.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

In tipperary at least, the macra corwd are a fickle one. the general unsaid rule of macra is that once you join up you must only attend macra events and go out with the macra crowd. If you are seen out with a non-macra group, you are shunned or looked down upon by the other members from then on.

I have heard of this phenomenon a few times. Someone i know joined it and then met a girlfriend who was non-macra. Once the other members found out about her, he noticed their attitude toward him changed. He left shortly after. We deduced that there was a succinct "within the circle only" mentality present. He commented that there was an unsaid and unofficial "pecking order" amongst members.
    I don't know whether its jealousy or begrudgery or what tbh. Mother tells me to join but i can't be bothered with the aires and graces of the tipperary macra crowd. Now maybe waterford is different and doesn't have this issue. Just saying my experience of it thats all.

I come from a farming background BTW but have moved on now.

Hi Master and Comander,
    I hope waterford aren't like that!! I'm gona head along on Thursday and see what its like anyway. I certainly wont be giving up my other friends, hobbies etc. i've never got a vibe like you describe before...hope its a case of the more the merrier....we'l find out Thursday!:)

I can assure you Waterfords not like that!
    I am not from Waterford - I'm from like 3 hours away so often go home or visit my friends from home and college who are spread all over the country - theres never any pressure to go to macra events or only spend time with macra!
    Other clubs may have that attitude but I guess with Waterford alot of us are not local so have a life outside waterford too!
    Maybe we could change your mind :)

Anyways meetings on Thurs - anyone who is interested more than welcome :D

Advertisement