Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools - Waterpark or Ballygunner

• 28-09-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

My son is going to primary school in 2 years time, and we have him down for both Waterpark and Ballygunner.

Anyone have any experience or comparisons between both primary schools to help make the important decision.....? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

My GF's nephew goes to waterpark, even though they live closer to ballygunner school. Her sister and her partner say they thought it better to send him to Waterpark as there is a significant portion of non-national pupils there. Though it would bring down the standard there.

It depends though on your views. Are you happy for your child to be mixing with foreigner's children?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

Sorry Master and Commander - they sent him to Waterpark because there is a sigificant portion of non nationals in Ballygunner?

Don't have views either way but just trying to find the best school....

How do they find Waterpark?:rolleyes:

Don't know for certain. I asked one time was he going to ballyg and they said no it was waterpark for the above reason. I was surprised. I never thought there was many foreigners in that part of waterford - that whole region is a better area on the whole. As such I'm sure you'll be fine with either though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

It depends though on your views. Are you happy for your child to be mixing with foreigner's children?

Seriously ? Is that a basis for choosing schools now ?? Unbelievable amount of racism on this lately. It's sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My children went to Ballygunner and in my opinion I think there's a smaller proportion of foreign nationals in Ballygunner than Waterpark if what I heard about Waterpark is true. There was only one foreign national child in my younger son's class and he left June 2010. I don't recall any in my older son's class.

I heard there was a much higher proportion of foreign nationals in Waterpark but that's hearsay so can't say one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Leaving nationalities aside. I never heard anything bad about either school to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

michellie wrote: »
    Seriously ? Is that a basis for choosing schools now ?? Unbelievable amount of racism on this lately. It's sickening.

I agree on this statement - what a way of picking a school :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sos Beag

My GF's nephew goes to waterpark, even though they live closer to ballygunner school. Her sister and her partner say they thought it better to send him to Waterpark as there is a significant portion of non-national pupils there. Though it would bring down the standard there.

I usually just read these forums but had to register having read this thread. I find the views aired above staggering! For what its worth I actually teach in a class with quite a number of students who are not Irish. The atmosphere in the classroom and the manner in which all the children from diverse social, economic and indeed cultural and religious backgrounds integrate and mix is heartwarming! Academic standards are very good in general, particularly good amongst most of the non Irish children as it happens. The children are for the most part oblivious to any difference between each other. Such exposure to multi cultural environments will serve the children in good stead for their future years. They will be all the better for it, a new generation of broadminded folk, as distinct from the narrowminded generation we seem to be part of and which seems prevalent in these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Well thats the great thing about children, they don't usually see other kids with labels(black, white, red, yellow, foreign, alien, accents).

Kids see other kids simply as other kids.

Maybe some of you above should take a leaf from your childrens books!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TPK

I too am a long time lurker on these forums, I registered as I was astounded by the statement above & felt I should offer some response. I hope M & C is a troll and made a statement just for a reaction. I'm not even going to argue with the statements made. Actually I wont respond, a level of ignorance like this deserves no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

TPK wrote: »
    I too am a long time lurker on these forums, I registered as I was astounded by the statement above & felt I should offer some response. I hope M & C is a troll and made a statement just for a reaction. I'm not even going to argue with the statements made. Actually I wont respond, a level of ignorance like this deserves no response.

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head there buddy.

Stick around though. There's usually a few good discussions going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

When i was in primary we had a pakhastani chap in our class for a year or two. This is going back 20+ years now. We thought it was cool learning about what he got upto back home, so i think the more nationalities the better.
    The fella in my class ended up being an awful gombeen but that was nothing to do with nationality, he just got annoying after a while is all. Plenty of annoying Irish around aswell so Feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    My son is going to primary school in 2 years time, and we have him down for both Waterpark and Ballygunner.

Anyone have any experience or comparisons between both primary schools to help make the important decision.....? :)

I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about this until you get offered a place. I know Ballygunner take in 3 classes every year but could have over 50% more applicants than they can take.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kind of shocked that racism appears to be so strong amongst some users and they are so public about it.

Very worrying when you consider that regardless of ethnic background etc you can easily have a student from any background drag down a class and affect other pupils experience/grades yet on this thread its been blamed on "non-nationals".

Of course how people know that these kids are all non-nationals is interesting considering a kid could easily have a different ethnic background and they could still be a Irish citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

OP - my kids go to Waterpark. I had the same option as you and was offered both places. The reason i chose Waterpark is because it was a smaller more intimate school - they have only one class per year. That ensures that the kids in juniors will know by name the kids in 6th class. They also know each of the Teachers teaching in the school.

I will take it you are not ignorant like M&Cs family who made a choice on the grounds of Nationality. My opinion on this is that my kids have made some great friend from different Countries and learn about different cultures and will grow up all the better for it (more open minded).

If you have any specific questions - just PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I had the pleasure of volunteering in Ballygunner for Junior Achievement a couple of years ago. If you get the chance, do it. It's heartening and rewarding and so much fun, but I digress.

One thing I took from my few weeks there, is that the students mix well and are encouraged to. It's a mixed-gender school and the boys and girls interact with each other. They sit with each other and hang around together. There's no divide. I was told that this actually discourages bullying. It's a great school and I hope to get my kids in there.

I'm not being racist here, i'm just saying. thats all. In my home area (cahir) alot of parents in recent years have chosen to send the kids to schools in non-urban areas because they think the educational standard there is better since there is a much smaller number of non-nationals and members of the travelling community in those schools. I don't know if its racism tbh, but i think it might qualify for good old fashioned snobbery of not wanting the kids associating with "those kinds". I cannot say i approve to much of a degree. Such is their distain that some parents who live in cahir, 5 mins walk from the school drive the kids on a 25min journey every day to grange or ardfinnan schools. Clasism and snobbery more than racism i'd say, since usually its the ones driving the BMW X7's and big mercs that go out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Sos Beag wrote: »
    I usually just read these forums but had to register having read this thread. I find the views aired above staggering! For what its worth I actually teach in a class with quite a number of students who are not Irish. The atmosphere in the classroom and the manner in which all the children from diverse social, economic and indeed cultural and religious backgrounds integrate and mix is heartwarming! Academic standards are very good in general, particularly good amongst most of the non Irish children as it happens. The children are for the most part oblivious to any difference between each other. Such exposure to multi cultural environments will serve the children in good stead for their future years. They will be all the better for it, a new generation of broadminded folk, as distinct from the narrowminded generation we seem to be part of and which seems prevalent in these parts!

You are a disgrace. Ireland for the Irish. Why are we paying to educate foreign interlopers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kind of shocked that racism appears to be so strong amongst some users and they are so public about it.

Very worrying when you consider that regardless of ethnic background etc you can easily have a student from any background drag down a class and affect other pupils experience/grades yet on this thread its been blamed on "non-nationals".

Of course how people know that these kids are all non-nationals is interesting considering a kid could easily have a different ethnic background and they could still be a Irish citizen.

Our country has been invaded by foreigners for the past ten years or so.

Yet, this poster seems amazed that people voice their concerns.

As for their ethnic background, a passport may make you legally Irish. But their blood aint Irish. Thats for sure. Repatriation is the answer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Our country has been invaded by foreigners for the past ten years or so.

Invade...seriously?
    in·vade
       [in-veyd] Show IPA verb, -vad·ed, -vad·ing.
    verb (used with object)
    1.to enter forcefully as an enemy; go into with hostile intent: Germany invaded Poland in 1939.
    2.to enter like an enemy: Locusts invaded the fields.
    3.to enter as if to take possession: to invade a neighbor's home.
    4.to enter and affect injuriously or destructively, as disease: viruses that invade the bloodstream.

So I guess coming to a country within the laws of said country and using the education system within that country, working in that country etc counts as a forceful act with hostile intent?
    :rolleyes:

With pretty much the exception of Africa I think you'll find we are all "invaders" (as you incorrectly put it) to every country throughout the world.....at least this is what history factually shows us.

As for their ethnic background, a passport may make you legally Irish. But their blood aint Irish. Thats for sure. Repatriation is the answer.

Oh please enlighten me, exactly how many generations must a person be before they have "Irish blood"?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

You are a disgrace. Ireland for the Irish. Why are we paying to educate foreign interlopers?

Another racist troll. They're entitled to an education as much as anyone else.

Sadly yours was wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Sos Beag wrote: »

There are no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I'm not being racist here, i'm just saying. thats all. In my home area (cahir) alot of parents in recent years have chosen to send the kids to schools in non-urban areas because they think the educational standard there is better since there is a much smaller number of non-nationals and members of the travelling community in those schools. I don't know if its racism tbh, but i think it might qualify for good old fashioned snobbery of not wanting the kids associating with "those kinds". I cannot say i approve to much of a degree. Such is their distain that some parents who live in cahir, 5 mins walk from the school drive the kids on a 25min journey every day to grange or ardfinnan schools. Clasism and snobbery more than racism i'd say, since usually its the ones driving the BMW X7's and big mercs that go out there.

You can call it class divide but it is clearly ignorant racism. It is actually quite backwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People who think the people who are trolling here are being naiive. These are common opinions which people share in conversations regularly. Many who don't express it openly will keep it not to far from the surface.

I think its a genuine concern in a scenario where perhaps kids who don't class English as their first language holding back a class. I'm aware of scenarios where this has become a problem, especially in areas like Dublin's inner city.

As much as I try my best to be fair and decent to every person I meet, racism, ageism, sexism are just a fact of life. I've experienced racist abuse myself abroad as an Irish person, and a white person who wanders into a black neighbourhood of somewhere like the US will be let know pretty quickly that they aren't welcome.

Outside of Brazil, I've yet to see a society where a multiculturalism seems to exist in harmony.

hardybuck wrote: »
    People who think the people who are trolling here are being naiive. These are common opinions which people share in conversations regularly. Many who don't express it openly will keep it not to far from the surface.

+1
    This is the case all over, people in pubic say they have no problem with other nationalities, races, but then privately hold them in contempt. A perfect example is my 36 yr old sister. She is a primary school teacher with some travellers and foreigners in her school, so she has to go through the multicultural motion and pays good lip service to it. But personally, she is very very anti foreigner in her views. She comes out with stuff like "oh sure its the polish this....." and "ah sure its all foreigners there" and " be careful and don't get caught out with those" type statements.

She was once talking about babies and breast feeding vs formula, and she claimed that polish/east european women only breast fed because the were to mean and tight to buy formula! believe it or believe it not. It happened. I was shocked myself, even though I wouldn't be the biggest fans of foreigners (i'm not a racist or xenophobe btw, i'm just not their biggest fan, thats all)

However, i genuinely think alot of her suspicion is founded on more than a grain of truth - there have been a good deal of "incidents" around these parts where foreigners were allegedly responsible and in many cases were.

In the case of "members of the travelling community", seriously, i think we must all agree that any suspicions are very well grounded when you consider the travellers reputation and long history of anti social behaviour. While not all are guilty, a significant portion (possibly majority) are involved, so being cautious and suspcious is warranted. Take a look at those naieve people who have reached out to travellers and such groups - they ran rings around them.

While stereotypes are not always accurate, in many cases they are near enough to the actual case. Thats how stereotypes develop. There was a study done that i read (cant remember name) but it found that more often than not, stereotypes were accurate - contrary to the commonly held belief that they were inaccurate catch all put downs for whole groups.

So if it occurs with those who supposedly perpetuate the multicultural idea, then it must be rampant, but just under the surface, with the rest of the population.
    I believe the european multicultural project has just put the natural xenophbia and suspicion of people into cold storage, it has not got rid of it by a long shot. We can see it surfacing now and again. the items raised in this thread are anexample of that.

With all the irish people emigrating I hope their children do not come across such prejudice at school.

deisemum wrote: »
    With all the irish people emigrating I hope their children do not come across such prejudice at school.

Chances are they will to some extent. However, the difference between Irish emigrants and asylum seekers is that the Irish are generally well educated, travelling to work, and are making a positive impact on the countries they arrive in. They may drink too much, but generally are well received.

The issue we've faced is having difficulties with integrating asylum seekers, Romanians & Bulgarians etc. They don't easily fit into our culture and are proving to be an expensive burden to the State.

Apologies to the OP here - I realise this isn't much advice on which school is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Chances are they will to some extent. However, the difference between Irish emigrants and asylum seekers is that the Irish are generally well educated, travelling to work, and are making a positive impact on the countries they arrive in. They may drink too much, but generally are well received.

The issue we've faced is having difficulties with integrating asylum seekers, Romanians & Bulgarians etc. They don't easily fit into our culture and are proving to be an expensive burden to the State.

Apologies to the OP here - I realise this isn't much advice on which school is better.

Romanians and Bulgarians are not asylum seekers.
    Any Romanians i know are very well educated.

Both schools are very good, you wont go wrong with either really.
    As someone else said the main difference is size, they'll be 3 classes for each year in Ballygunner (St. Marys).

Romanians and Bulgarians are not asylum seekers.

Thats why I placed a comma between asylum seekers and Romanians - I did make a destinction between the two in doing so. I think a lot of the bad press is directed at the Roma community, but places like the UK and Italy in particular have experienced an explosion of crime when the increase in immigration from these two countries began.

OP - have you considered St.Declan's at all? I've heard very good testimonials on the place when Eamonn O'Mahony and Br.Finbarr were principles, but not sure how good or bad it is currently.

• Advertisement

Having emigrated to London in the 80's I came across a lot of prejudice but hope things have improved since then.

Advertisement