Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Dark Souls or Skyrim?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

What to get? I'll end up getting both eventually..but which should I get on release date?Can't decide..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Both, I've pre ordered dark souls to get the game guide and pre ordered skyrim for the proper map. Never pre ordered before this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dark souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Skyrim. What a silly question. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Both... Dark souls looks YUMMMMMMY !! But if your only getting one... i guess darksouls since its out next week ? Full month to save up for skyrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Dark souls :D

Your facial expression will change :

When ya get the game ::D
    When ya start it up::)
    First enemy encounter::p
    Deathtraps::mad:
    Losing all your souls::(
    First Boss battle::eek:

Let the game begins :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Did you play demon souls yeah?

Personally I would recommend dark souls but I loved demon souls and found Oblivion to be mediocre in the end once I got over the shiny graphics.

But if you are only a casual gamer I would point you towards skyrim.

Dark souls are for those seeking a challenge , a game that really pushes you. Skyrim would be more escapism but weak on gameplay.

Both very different games too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skyrim for me..........I can see dark souls being frustrating for me,is it an open world game too ya?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

skyrim for me..........I can see dark souls being frustrating for me,is it an open world game too ya?

It's a game that bends you over and takes advantage of you at every opportunity, and all the better for it. It's semi-open world - I imagine it, like Demons Souls, will let you play the game in an order of your choice. Levels are kind of like mazes you have to navigate to get to the boss.

It's also probably going to be one of the greatest games of the year, or hell all time.

Skyrim can, in the words of Donnie Darko, go suck a ****. It'll probably be grand if not great: a pleasant, empty and utterly formulaic fantasy word to frolic around in with dragons and stuff. Dark Souls will challenge you around every corner, and separate the men from the boys so to speak. I think I'd rather spend 100 hours with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Sisko wrote: »
    Did you play demon souls yeah?

Personally I would recommend dark souls but I loved demon souls and found Oblivion to be mediocre in the end once I got over the shiny graphics.

But if you are only a casual gamer I would point you towards skyrim.

Dark souls are for those seeking a challenge , a game that really pushes you. Skyrim would be more escapism but weak on gameplay.

Both very different games too.
    I'm actually only getting it this week :o , and seeing the amount of hours to endure..I would definatley not be done by the time Dark Souls comes out..BUT I want to trade Dead Island in against it before it loses value..so yeh.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Get Dark Souls when it comes out. For Skyrim wait a year for the inevitable mass of game breaking bugs to be sorted out and get the game of the year edition with all the dlc.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    Get Dark Souls when it comes out. For Skyrim wait a year for the inevitable mass of game breaking bugs to be sorted out and get the game of the year edition with all the dlc.
    Very good thinking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Why's skyrim getting picked on here? Both games will be great. Dark souls will obviously be more challenging and complex, its a totally different kind of game.
    But I think skyrim will be one of the best games ever, maybe my expectations are too high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Dark Souls every day of the week :)

Although I will be getting both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Dark Souls.
    Ive never been so hype for a game as far as i can remember. When you play it (Demons Souls), it feels like one of those games you used to play back in the day that didnt give you any kind of crutch to lean on, and was unrelenting in its difficulty. Games these days give you auto-aim this and regenerating health that. It pulls no punches. The athmosphere is so dark you would be surprised that it game from a Japanese developer considering all of the teeny bopper crap that country has spewed out in recent years.

As for Skyrim. Yeah it looks alright and i might give it a look but Oblivion did nothing for me at all, but maybe i didnt give it a chance as i kinda gave up after the first portal quest thing-a-majig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

not to forget , demons souls has the best online ever , invading other peoples worlds or helping others out always leaves you on your toes , thinking the a.i was bad enough having some elite black phantom invade your world runs off , hiding :confused:, ya wish you had your blue stone with ya on your journey to HELL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

whaaaat is Dark Souls?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Overheal wrote: »
    whaaaat is Dark Souls?

A glorious nightmare.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Bonesy. wrote: »
    What to get? I'll end up getting both eventually..but which should I get on release date?Can't decide..

Dark Souls all the way.
    Bonesy. wrote: »
    I'm actually only getting it this week :o

Lucky bastard, the pain and suffering you are going to endure playing Demon's Souls - followed by pure elation of taking down your first boss.
    I'd love to experience it again - You will enjoy it immensly.
    Overheal wrote: »
    whaaaat is Dark Souls?

It will be THE game of this gen. Taking over from Demon's Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Another vote for Dark Souls here. Only playing through Demon Souls now. Difficult game, it really punishes careless mistakes. You have to take your time, learn from mistakes.
    Such a rewarding game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Lol at the 'both' replies. He said he's getting both but just wants to know which one FIRST. Lazy feckers not even reading a short post XD

Anyway, as personal opinion, I say get Skyrim first since it probably won't last as long as Dark Souls. That way you can play through it a couple of times... but Dark Souls goes online so there'll be plenty of firend and grinding fun for ya there... meaning it can last a lot longer and seems like a smarter choice to get it later if you're not getting much after that either. Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dark souls will last longer than skyrim?
    I didn't know dark souls was a 300+ hour game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I have played all the Daggerfall games, and while oblivion was the least ground-breaking of the series, it was still a very enjoyable game with a huge non linear world.

Demon souls was good,but the huge hype surrounding the release of Dark Souls has me a bit concerned as that usually precedes a game that sucks...but I live in hope that it will be even better than Demon soul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Could you not just rent dark souls, see if it appeals to you and base your opinion on that.

I never played demons souls (being a 360 owner), so i really don't know what to expect from dark souls. I have not heard anything but good things about demon souls but I have a sneaky feeling that there is a lot of bravado clinging to these games. If someone said that they are sh1t, it would be e-penis suicide.

That said... There's only one way to find out.

Could you not just rent dark souls, see if it appeals to you and base your opinion on that.

I never played demons souls (being a 360 owner), so i really don't know what to expect from dark souls. I have not heard anything but good things about demon souls but I have a sneaky feeling that there is a lot of bravado clinging to these games. If someone said that they are sh1t, it would be e-penis suicide.

That said... There's only one way to find out.
    I would usually do that with any game I was going to decide between but with this being so many hours I doubt I'd even be able to get into the game by the time I have to bring it back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it's just a choice of which to get first, get Dark Souls. It's out over a month before Skyrim.

As someone who loved both games, i'd still say Skyrim. I loved Demons Souls, and will love Dark Souls, but the Elder Scrolls games have been some of my favourite for a long time. Morrowind remains to this day one of my favourite games of all time, with an amazing and massive game world. Oblivion was a bit more generic, but it was still amazing. It has it's problems, but so did Demons Souls.

Either way, both are day 1 purchases for me.

300+ hours of optional fluff, though, if Oblivion is anything to go by.

Most people are saying Dark Souls on a first playthrough is a solid hundred hours long. I think when you reach three figures, you're into value for money territory anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

In Demon's Souls I have 1 character at over 240 hours...:o
    Had other characters at over 100 hours too.
    I imagine Dark Souls will last longer than that.
    So yeah, Dark Souls is a 300+ hour game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Isn't Dark Souls supposed to be 100 hours for one playthrough? Add to that playing NG+, then starting with a new build..... easy 300 hours of your life eaten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Demon souls was good,but the huge hype surrounding the release of Dark Souls has me a bit concerned as that usually precedes a game that sucks...but I live in hope that it will be even better than Demon soul

Going by every preview and review diary i've read... its better (And harder) than demon souls in almost every way.... wooohoo !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

As I said already both are day one purchases for me but I know i'll get tired of Skyrim long before I will with Dark Souls.

One playthrough takes 100+ hours and thats just the main storyline. Realistically if anyone got 300 hours of playtime out of Oblivion with or without Mods I would have to question their sanity. The combat gets extremely boring after a few hours...

Advertisement