Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Media

Options
  • 28-09-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Advice needed here folks

Purchased a domain with Switch Media last year which included free hosting. Cost 20 euros for a domain name.

Anyhow apparently it was a two year contract and the second year is 136 euros.

I did not know this and have never used the domain or hosting. Now they tell me they will pass the debt over to a debt recovery agency unless i pay.

They have offered to close the account for half the costs.

Anyone any expereince with these guys.

I may aswell just pay the half and get out but wondered if there was anything else to do.

I would not have signed up if i knew about the seconf year which was not clearly disclosed when i first joined.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

the question is: was the information about the second year payment included in the customer agreement you agreed on when signing up? if it was, then you have to pay. if it wasn't then you may get away with it. this is pretty common practice when you pay way below average for when you join but you're in fact agreeing to stay with the given company for a longer period.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    this is pretty common practice when you pay way below average for when you join but you're in fact agreeing to stay with the given company for a longer period.

He hasn't paid well below average for anything based on the figures mentioned above.

Unfortunately thought if it was in the terms and conditions when you signed up and agreed then you pretty much cant say anything about it. Personally I would pay half the fee to get away from them and go elsewhere. If you shop around you will find a lot of companies with better offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

20e a year for a domain name and hosting is way below average, which works ouf at about $80-$100/year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    20e a year for a domain name and hosting is way below average, which works ouf at about $80-$100/year

It was 20euro for the first yr, 136euro for the 2nd so thats an average annual charge of 78euro per year. That is not well below average. The fact it was 20euro on its own for the first year is irrelevant when hes tied into a 2 year agreement and has to pay the full amount if he stays with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Thanks for the replies lads.

Will just pay half like they have suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement