Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal urban legends!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Any problem a labrador (this includers golden retrievers cos they're all the same :rolleyes:) is because it has hip dysplasia because all labradors have hip dysplasia - ate a dead rabbit and got sick? hip dysplasia, coughed after eating a stick? hip dysplasia, sneezed after sniffing something dusty?hip dysplasia... you get the idea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

ALL GSD/Alsatians (I personally HATE when folks call them Alsatians) will eventually turn on their owners - followed by suitable anecdote involving friend's of friend's sister's husband's Mother's dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Dogs always survive alien attacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

ohmfg wrote: »
    ALL GSD/Alsatians (I personally HATE when folks call them Alsatians) will eventually turn on their owners - followed by suitable anecdote involving friend's of friend's sister's husband's Mother's dog.

This one really annoys me also. We have a GSD cross and even though my mam thinks he's a lovely dog, she tells me all the time she wouldn't trust him around children.

Our old neighbours had a GSD and she was the most timid animal ever, a complete pet. I was petting her one day and my mam commented on how gentle she was. Then i reminded her that she was a GSD and straight away she said "oh they're vicious dogs!"

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

If you touch a rabbit's babies while they are still in the nest, she will kill and eat them. I've been handling litters for years, love it when people with no experience say ''oh my God, why are you holding them the Mother is going to eat the now!!!!''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dogs get sense when they're 2 years old. Now in fairness he is quieter and settled now that he's 2 but he's still mad some times lol!! :D Me and a friend who's dog is a month older than my guy dreamt of the day they'd turn 2 which seemed like a lifetime away. When they ran over to people in the park, ate something they shouldn't and were just mad we'd laught it off - ah they'll be so good when they're 2. We imaginged them being sensible and would never be bold again and would almost start wearing a cap and slippers! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Goldfish have a 2 second memory. So its no problem to have them in a bowl the size of a cup :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or my favourite "No it's okay, they only grow to the size of their environment!"

Grr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Giraffes sleep standing up!
    (right!? Or not!?!!!) em...

Earwigs will crawl into your ear and eat your brain/ get stuck inside your head

Stay away from bats cos they will fly into your hair and get caught there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If a dog growls at another dog then it should be put down in case one day in the future it attacks a child, I have heard this plenty of times even in a post recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Stay away from bats cos they will fly into your hair and get caught there

David Attenborough tells a shockin funny story about standing at the entrance of a cave, thousands of bats streaming past him, waxing lyrical to camera about their exquisite sonar system, their faultless navigation, the miracle of natural selection.
    Just as the cameras stopped rolling, splat! A bat flew straight into his face :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Good one I heard today, conversation started well, someone admiring my dogs, they just had a hair cut and I was asked won't they get cold?
    I said no they live inside with us and are out for toilet breaks and 3 - 5 walks a day, response

"Dogs are like wolves they should be outside all the time, allowed to roam around, wolves don't live in houses with heating" :mad:

This person was serious, I thought they were joking at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

no it's cows!

milehip1 wrote: »

no it's cows!

Haha!0; cows! Well ; do they?!!
    And what about the lanky fellows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Myth: All dogs go to heaven - Wrong

Fact: It's actually a big farm in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

mymo wrote: »
    Good one I heard today, conversation started well, someone admiring my dogs, they just had a hair cut and I was asked won't they get cold?
    I said no they live inside with us and are out for toilet breaks and 3 - 5 walks a day, response

"Dogs are like wolves they should be outside all the time, allowed to roam around, wolves don't live in houses with heating" :mad:

This person was serious, I thought they were joking at first.

Perhaps us humans should all shed our clothes, leave our houses, stop using any sort of technology, revert back to the horse for transport, hunt and grow our own food, go live in caves and bang rocks together for fire. :rolleyes: Seriously some people mustn't have a braincell between their ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

white horses are faster than black horses

black horses are faster than white horses

ask any 2 city kids or little knacks and you'll have a boxing match in seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Chihuahua's are the most vicious small dog breed ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

aoife2k wrote: »
    Chihuahua's are the most vicious small dog breed ever...

Hmmmmm the only small dog who has bitten me, more than once I might add, is a chihuahua!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Really? :-/

My friend has a Chi and she's the most pleasant little thing ever! Does the usual bark thing when someone knocks at the door etc.. but never bared teeth to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Chihuahua has never bore her teeth nor bitten either even when psssersby or their kids have tried to pick her up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The chihuahua in question is a perfect example of an ankle biter, she's bitten me 3 or 4 times and always shoots out from under furniture, grabs me and runs back under. She pretty much does it to everyone she can.
    Hopefully an exception to the breed!

What About the one about elephants not being able to run!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

dogs can't look up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That you can get an extra €20 a week from social welfare if you have a pet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Heard a new one today - you can't train a male dog (he said 'you', but I think he meant himself :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bulls chase red so never wear a red jacket.
    Pure nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

DBB wrote: »
    David Attenborough tells a shockin funny story about standing at the entrance of a cave, thousands of bats streaming past him, waxing lyrical to camera about their exquisite sonar system, their faultless navigation, the miracle of natural selection.
    Just as the cameras stopped rolling, splat! A bat flew straight into his face :-D

I remember similar stuff happening on camera with other presenters

Jonathan Scott as Half Tail and her 6 month old daughter Shadow are climbing a tree and Jonathan says something about them either never falling or being excellent climbers, just after he says this Shadow falls out of the tree

Another BBC presenter was talking about a little snake in a nearby tree/bush, said they're excellent climbers just before the little snake falls out of the branch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

dogs can't look up

It's true, Big Al told me!

Advertisement