Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Sad but So True

• 28-09-2011 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge . Would I still be at home if I hadn’t chewed your shoe? I didn’t know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys. Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn’t get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days. Would I still be at home if I hadn’t barked? I was only saying, “I’m scared, I’m lonely, I’m here, I’m here! I want to be your best friend.” Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn’t make me learn how. Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn’t pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me. I died today. Love, Your Puppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Oh jeez Rhodeisland, you've got me in tears :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

Sorry:( It's hard for someone who loves dogs to read but maybe, just maybe it might touch the heart of one person who is considering getting rid of that "nuisance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I met a couple yesterday when myself and the OH were walking our dogs on the canal. They were a bit dodgy looking and my boy gave a big growl when they approached (he seems to be able to spot dodgy types). Anyway, they were looking for cigarettes and we were polite to them and obliged. The guy then started telling me how he had a pitbull but had to have it put down because he "had to go somewhere" for a few weeks (hmm, I wonder where). It was a horrible reminder of how some people really don't value their pets. Three days ago, I found an elderly spaniel lady wandering by herself in our local park. I had never seen her there before and none of the other park regulars recognised her. Eventually, I met a child who knew the dog's address. We brought her home and the owner was just so blase about her wandering. At least the child we met seemed to have a concept of responsible dog ownership - she told us that she has berated the owner for not having a collar and tag on his dog.
    Yesterday I had to pick a dead cat that was probably killed in a RTA off the pavement. I took the cat to my vet to dispose of, and alsoto scan for a chip and keep a description in case anyone calls looking.
    It drives me mad that people can just view animals in such a throwaway manner. Both me and the OH have had shoes, purses, books etc chewed by our little girl. Our boy can be quite the troublemaker when out on his walks. However, we woud never have these little pets pts unless they had some untreatable condition.
    I see my pets as part of the family. This is not anthropomorphising them, but simply caring for living creatures that I have chosen to take responsibility for. Sadly, so many people just don't get it.
    Hopefully, those of us do care can slowly work to change attitudes by example or through campaigns. It seems hopeless sometimes but we must remember that atrocities such as dog fighting and badger baiting, though still occurring, are now illegal and, for most people, socially unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I cant read that piece as it gets me every time.
    It really is changing peoples attitudes one person at a time.
    I work with an animal rescue & have had 2 emergancy cases - one in particular from people rehoming through the " free sites" - homes arent checked, dog falls into the wrong hands or when the puppy looses the "cuteness" he/she suddenly comes disposible.. It is heartbreaking BUT there are alot of good people out there aswell. I think alot of it is to educate children from a young age about responsible pet ownership & if there could be further education through community programmes/school programmes etc I feel the animal situation in this country would be in a hell of a better place than it is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement