Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trimming cows tails

• 28-09-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

What do people use on here, i raided the kitchen today for scissors and wrecked three of them before i gave up.
    I do it before housing to stop them having a half stone of dung hanging off their tail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

We used to use a mains powered cattle clipper, something along the lines of this:
    http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=CATTLECLIPPERS

We'd pretty much completely shave the tail, left them lovely and tidy (and clean!) for the winter.

Did the same for suckler cows too :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I use the old dear's best dressmaking:eek: wilkinson sword scissors! The one with the orange handles Works better on a wet day too, bit of lubrication......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

Dock the tails as heifers and problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Usually a stanley knife. Sometimes a scissors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

locky76 wrote: »
    What do people use on here, i raided the kitchen today for scissors and wrecked three of them before i gave up.
    I do it before housing to stop them having a half stone of dung hanging off their tail.

Hand shears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A scissors.

kenny d wrote: »
    We docked tails for a few years and then gave it up.
    While it certainly meant the cows were relatively clean over the winter, I never liked the aesthetics of it, and we had to take on the job of protecting them from flies during the summer/autumn.
    It was ultimately easier to shave the tails at housing time, and we had less mastitis.

And the cows looked better too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Sheep shears (hand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Saggitaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Sheep shears (hand)

+1, great job for clipping the tails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mjcom4d wrote: »
    Saggitaurs

Is this a star sign? or a set of Secateurs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

kenny d wrote: »

Is this not an illegal practice now?

We clip every animal that comes in all year round with a Fiskar's, usually lasts around 6 months, then it falls, gets stood on etc. Have tried lots over time and these for me are the best at reasonable price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FISKARS-NON-STICK-GENERAL-PURPOSE-21CM-SCISSORS-/190429898670?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item2c5681a7ae#ht_769wt_754

Is this not an illegal practice now?
    It is indeed:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0263.html
    S.I. No. 263/2003 — Protection of Animals Kept For Farming Purposes Act 1984 (Bovine Animals) (Prohibition on Tail Docking) Regulations 2003

2.(1) A person shall not remove or mutilate or cause or permit another person to remove or mutilate the tail or part of the tail of a bovine animal.

[MOD]So let's not advocate that practice any further.[/MOD]

In my own case as mentioned above (post #8), we did it back during the mid 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

locky76 wrote: »

Hate to be laughed at but we use a machete. We also use it to open bales. Great job to scare off people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Karen112 wrote: »
    Hate to be laughed at but we use a machete. We also use it to open bales. Great job to scare off people!
    \

Not ta feckin' dock them, but we have quiet enough animals to 'skim' them. So while they're at the barrier eating, we do the tails. (Hold and slash method)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

a good pair of scissors- that have gone missing from the hiding place i had them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Scissors or I might plug in the trimmers. I have older cows that are docked and I gotta say its a great job. Don't do that anymore, illegal. Anyone have the attachment for a battery drill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The f##ker that banned tail docking should be put milking cows with long tails for a few months - he wouldn't be long about unbanning it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Scissors or I might plug in the trimmers. I have older cows that are docked and I gotta say its a great job. Don't do that anymore, illegal. Anyone have the attachment for a battery drill?

Saw the drill attachment at the ploughing at thought it was a brilliant idea - it looked to be perfect for the job. Went up to the girl asked a couple of questions, was just about to stick the hand in the pocket when we asked the price

450 bloody euro for it, I nearly dropped in front of her. A brilliant idea but a pure rob at that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Yeah i bought one 2 years ago. Fantastic job. You need a good battery drill with it though and a spare battery. 400 yoyos but i didnt have a choice but get something like it. I clip 4 times a year now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Sheep shears (hand)
    +1, great job for clipping the tails.

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the very first thing i bought when i took over the dairy farm was a elec clippers and still have it,love doing the sucklers when going in for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i bought a cheap one from ebay 75.00 something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-320W-SHEEP-GOATS-SHEARING-CLIPPER-SHEARS-RRP-799-/320765501913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf1d21d9

expected it to burn and die after a year or so ......still going strong five years later and do all my cows tails and heads ...my ten sheep every year and the occaisonal dog althou my little wire haired terrier flies off when she sees me plugging it in....doesn t like the noise ......replacement blades also available but only sold in shops in aussie....lots of lads out there now to bring some home for me....

I am happy tail docking was banned.

They have tails for a reason.

Min wrote: »
    I am happy tail docking was banned.

They have tails for a reason.

They have horns for a reason too, just saying. Tails are not very efficient are keeping flies off. Not condoning it by the way, I have older cows here and I prefer them, alot cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went on a farm walk last year and the cows tails where down to the ground, covered in crap, now 2 minutes cuts a tail , pure laziness, imagine the muck on yourself and the cows udder ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Tipp Man wrote: »
    The f##ker that banned tail docking should be put milking cows with long tails for a few months - he wouldn't be long about unbanning it then

i would be quite the oppsit on that having your cows docked give's you no warning when you need to get away from there tail fast

i find the easest way to do it is with an eletric cattle shears although expencive at the start it pay's of in the long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

mayo_lad wrote: »
    i would be quite the oppsit on that having your cows docked give's you no warning when you need to get away from there tail fast

i find the easest way to do it is with an eletric cattle shears although expencive at the start it pay's of in the long term
    How do you keep them free from water and crap on the plug when using it though:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Bizzum wrote: »
    Usually a stanley knife.
    Now that could be dangerous for both man and beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

5live wrote: »
    How do you keep them free from water and crap on the plug when using it though:confused:

keep it pluged in high in the parlor and it will stay clean

you could also put the lead and plug in a mannure bag and tie the top of it closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sheep shears (hand)
    x2;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Has anyone seen/used the garlic licks? Great job for keeping away flies! The cows be stinkin of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Bizzum wrote: »
    mjcom4d wrote: »
    Saggitaurs

Is this a star sign? or a set of Secateurs:)

Secateurs

They have horns for a reason too, just saying. Tails are not very efficient are keeping flies off. Not condoning it by the way, I have older cows here and I prefer them, alot cleaner.

A tail won't gore you.

They are more efficient than a docked tail :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

with out detouring to much where can you get clipper blades sharpened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

sheep shears +4, and very therapeutic for the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

sheep-shears_1299-150x150.jpg
    any1 have sharpening tips for these?

if you can justify the drill attachment or a electric clippers obviously speeds the job up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

weefarmer wrote: »
    Has anyone seen/used the garlic licks? Great job for keeping away flies! The cows be stinkin of it :D
    will they stop them getting summer mastitis,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do ye do em all one day or pick off a few every day for a couple of weeks

keep going wrote: »
    do ye do em all one day or pick off a few every day for a couple of weeks

Over a few milkings here, satisfying job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

have to start on them this week, take a few days to do them.
    need to do freeze bands as well, dirty job in the pit, all the short hairs falling down on top of ya, prefare to spent a bit of time and do FB in crush

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭feckin day gone again!!

Alot of different views and opinions above....love the one about 'not getting gored with a tail'!!! Witty anyway.. Cows do have tails for a reason and rightly so. How hard is it to clip the tails twice a year? Not hard at all and as others have said, its a very satisfying job. Electric clippers ate available for 300-350 euro and thats not alot over a year or two. Throw a bit of meal at the feeding barrier on a bit of silage and clip away. Even easier if you have an interlocking barrier or else stand on something in the parlour (saves getting hairs all over you). I clip their udders too. They are cleaner, easier to wipe before milking and more hygenic all round. Happy Clipping!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

49801 wrote: »
    sheep-shears_1299-150x150.jpg
    any1 have sharpening tips for these?

if you can justify the drill attachment or a electric clippers obviously speeds the job up a little.

You need to hone them on an oilstone. I used to watch my father doing it as a kid. It is an acquired skill, and hard to describe.

Whatever you do, don't grind them like the american guy in the demo you will get on youtube, it will destroy them.

The edge needs to be flat, like a scissors, not bevelled like a knife,

LC

Advertisement