Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun or Rifle to begin

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey lads, I have recently become interested in shooting.I have been out shooting rifles in Court lough and loved it. I haven't bought a rifle yet though

However a friend of mine who joined the club and bought a rifle has been trying to encourage me to get a shotgun instead and shoot clays. I'm a bit worried that the shotgun will be too heavy to shoot as I have a weak elbow following a car accident.

I would also like to do some hunting as I have permission from a farmer to shoot on his large farm.

I cant afford both so which would people recommend for a person brand new to firearms and wants to find a great sport?

First gun for Newbie; Rifle or Shotgun 35 votes

Shotgun
    0% 0 votes
    Rifle
    62% 22 votes
    Other Decsipline
    37% 13 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Firstly welcome aboard.

Your friend will not be shooting, paying or licensing this firearm so it doesn't really matter what he wants. Its what YOU want and you are comfortable with.

A .22lr rifle is a cheap, easy to run, easy to use firearm. They are roughly 6.5 - 8 pound in weight. The same as your standard game shotgun. The only difference being the .22lr rifle has a longer range and is much easier on the shoulder as there is no recoil.

Which interests you more. Hunting with a rifle or shotgun?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I would also like to do some hunting as I have permission from a farmer to shoot on his large farm.

Welcome to the boards :)

in addition to Exridax post:

Whats exactly are you intending to hunt on the farm? This, in addition to the above post, will really steer you as to what you should be buying.

Also, you should try clay shooting and see if you like it before making the decision as the combination of what you are comfortable with and also what discipline you like best and the hunting you intend to do will pretty much get you on the way to your first gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Hi pete, I started shooting this year and I got a shotgun as my first firearm and i was sorry I didn't get the rifle so I saved up for a few months and got one a cz .22 and I find that so much better, no recoil and much further ranges than the shotgun. Good luck with it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I started with a rifle, then got another, then got another one. Then got the shotgun but it don't get as much use as the rifles. So its up for sale now.
    I found I can get more use from the rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Like was already said you should try the shotgun before you make up your mind. I was always told that you should start shooting with a shotgun first because a rifle gives you bad habits for the shotgun.
    Of course I didn't listen to this and bought a rifle, then when I bought my shotgun it took me feckin ages to learn not to shoot it like a rifle, because I had developed the habit of looking at the gun and stopping on the target instead of keeping the gun moving.
    Even now if I'm doing a lot with the rifle, it takes me a while to get back into using the shottie properly. Clays usually take care of this before I go hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I started with a .22 rifle and never looked back,a shotgun makes a hell of a bang and a mighty kick,the 22 no kick and very little noise and longer range and cheaper to run. rifle all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

it really comes down to what you want to hunt. Rabbits and some targets get a rifle. If you want to hunt birds, duck ect get a shotgun. I started with a rifle then got a shotgun and then a bigger rifle. Love them both and usually use the shotgun more but Thats because i bring it out every day when walkin the dog!

Both are fun but rifle is my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ultimately it all comes down to your own preference.

The major disadvantage with a relatively low powered rimfire rifle is that you can't lawfully hunt most small game with it and definitly not the big stuff like deer.

As for shotguns and recoil: if you go down the road of a decent semi-automatic and normal 32g to 36g game loads recoil shouldn't be much of an issue.

A good proportion of it will be used to cycle the bolt and the bit of extra weight in the gun compared to a classic game gun in over and under or side by side configuration will absorb that little bit extra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

I've had a rifle (.22lr) for years and have thoroughly enjoyed it, though I've found it a bit limited from the hunting point of view and I am not dedicated enough for serious target work. More recently I have got a shottie and taken up clays ( and a bit of hunting ) and am having great craic. Hunting is a bit broader in terms of quarry, and the 'target' shooting is much more active in nature.

I wouldn't give up the rifle, but the shotgun is great craic. Try both before you decide.... and there's nothing stopping you in the future getting another firearm when funds allow!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Don't forget the cost of actually shooting - if you're going to be mostly target shooting, the shotgun can work out expensive. I used to shoot in Courtlough and I could shoot the .22 all day for the cost of an hours worth of clays and cartridges. On the other hand, if you're mostly out rough shooting, you won't be firing anywhere near as often, and the targets of course will be free :)

Also, are do you reckon you'll be mostly shooting on your own, or with friends? I find clays can be more of a a social thing - you can shoot clays with a few people, and it stretches out the day a bit more as you take turns to shoot. So it ends up not costing too much that way. Rifle target shooting is more of a solo effort. It doesn't lend itself to taking turns as well as clays because it's boring to watch someone else shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Thanks for all the advice people. I have booked a session with the shotgun in Hilltop this weekend. I'm definitely leaning towards the rifle but its no harm to have a go.
    The hunting element will come down the line a bit after I get used to handling a firearm of any type. I want the learn the right way first before I go out into the public sphere.

And as was said I can always save up for another gun.

Thanks again for everybody's input I really feel entused about getting into this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Tried out the shotgun in Hilltop and was surprised how much fun I had! I still feel that the rifle is were I'm most comfortable but will definitely be coming back to the shotgun at a later date. I'm really glad I tried it out.
    Thanks again to all for their advise.:)

Advertisement