Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated badly in work

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Currently I work in a higly stressfull job.

I am been treated literally like crap, for example been cursed at, been victamised by a supervisor.

I am not a member of a union nor is anyone in the company as were only on contracts so were scared to incase we don't get our contract to be renewed,

I wrote a formal complaint about this supervisor and was spoken to by a manager this evening, the manager basically had turned everything back around at myself and said to me that he wants to have a formal meeting with me, Im now scared to have this as i feel it all will be turned completely around at me,

As a result of what went on today I have called out sick tomorrow for been "stressed". I have really bad headaches and migraine's after today I literally spend the afternoon crying about it.

I also received a "Note to file" basically a warning today from the same supervisor because i went to the toilet and apparently "dissapeared"

I would be grateful for any advice given,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Disciplinary procedures MUST follow the principles of natural justice. This means that you're entitled to have a witness at any meetings, the right to appeal any decisions as wel as full disclosure to what you're being disciplined for. It doesn't sound like they've followed those procedures. If they do try and turn the formal meeting into a disciplinary procedure against you, make sure you're afforded these rights. More info here:
    http://www.lrc.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=88

On the flip side, if you're accusing the supervisor, then s/he will also need to be told about the details of the complaint if they do investigate it. Make sure you can give details - keep a log of all the incidents.

One thing - don't know if it will come up, but "stress" is not considered an illness, it's considered a symptom of something else. So they might not accept your reason for being off sick at face value.

If you're genuinely getting actual migraines and they're not just bad headaches, then you should probably seek medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You made a huge mistake writing the "formal complaint". A friendly word with the manager would have been a better option.

At this stage your manager probably sees you as a nuisance. Expect a verbal warning. And take it easy, it's only a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I went to the manager for a friendly word and he said he wanted me to have a formal meeting so I had no choice, Anyway im back in tomorrow so I will let you's know about what happened.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

nonameabc wrote: »

As a result of what went on today I have called out sick tomorrow for been "stressed". I have really bad headaches and migraine's after today I literally spend the afternoon crying about it.

I also received a "Note to file" basically a warning today from the same supervisor because i went to the toilet and apparently "dissapeared"

I would be grateful for any advice given,

Thanks.

Younshould go talk to you doctor.

How long were you in the toilet for?

Advertisement