Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: TNG confirmed for Bluray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

This sampler disc is just to give people a taste. Though I think it was mostly for the studio's benefit to establish whether it was practical and cost-effective to restore from the original negatives.

Not completely the same but MGM did something similar with SGA, fans choice Blu-Ray release, sort of a test the market thing.
    CYHSN wrote: »
    I wonder what the price lag will be though?

I've been wondering that too, main issue that I see is people (Fans) will spend a fair bit even if they only buy one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

These box sets are definately going to be over the 100 euro mark on release. I remember back when they first released TNG on dvd I spent 100-110 euro per season buying them all. YOu can now get TNG on dvd for a tenner per season or even cheaper second hand!

Even though its gonna cost me a fortune to repurchase it all, I cannot wait!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no ****ing way i'll pay €100 for a series of anything, nevermind a 15 year old show. Even if it is Star Trek.

It's be €30-€50 a season, max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kiith wrote: »
    There's no ****ing way i'll pay €100 for a series of anything, nevermind a 15 year old show. Even if it is Star Trek.

It's be €30-€50 a season, max.

Same here, I'll likely not bother until they've dropped drastically in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Same. 40 quid max. Anything more just isn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What about Deep Space 9?

What about Deep Space 9?

If TNG is a hit then probably but don't see it being done before all of TNG Blu-Ray has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Eye of Orion

personally I think there will only be a few good episodes worth watching in HD, will avoid the episodes where beverleys great great granny's ghost comes back to haunt her and the likes....

personally I think there will only be a few good episodes worth watching in HD, will avoid the episodes where beverleys great great granny's ghost comes back to haunt her and the likes....

Don't you mean there will be a few episodes not worth watching in HD?

the vast majority of episodes will be worth watching in HD, with the exception of a few god awful ones which make you wonder how they ever thought it would be a worthwhile ep!

• Advertisement

will avoid the episodes where beverleys great great granny's ghost comes back to haunt her and the likes....

Star Trek: Murder she Wrote :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

TNG won't be any cheaper than the TOS Blus are. So €60ish I'd guess. I'm not sure that they'll drop in price much over time either. This is a much bigger, and more expensive, task for the studio than most Blu-Ray conversions are and they'll be looking to get as much money back as possible. They need to do it though as the SD versions will stop earning them money from syndication otherwise.

I don't like spending more than £25/€30 for a box set at most - HD or not - but will likely support this. At least from S3 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

The price of the Season 1 Blu-ray is already listed as £51.99 (~€62): http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Films-TV/Blu-ray/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Season-1/product.html?product=E11057492

Release date also seems to be listed as July 23rd.

Don't think i'm willing to pay €60 a season for this.

Amazon have it listed now as well for £52.49 Region Free, Play have it as €74.49.

Bit steep really so I'm going to hold off and see if it drops or shop around.

Far too dear, I'll hold off until it's in a slimline box selling for 10.99 or something low like the way the original releases dropped over the years.

It'll be a long time before they're selling for 10.99.

It'll be a long time before they're selling for 10.99.

Owning all the dvd sets, I can wait. It'll be an even longer time before I pay the guts of €80 for them.

The TOS Blu-Rays have held their price and so will these.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The TOS Blu-Rays have held their price and so will these.

That's a good point, look out for sales.

• Advertisement

That's a good point, look out for sales.

Yep, sales, auctions etc would be the way to go. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to buying them used either. The retail price is too high, though I wouldn't mind buying the complete set when they're finished converting them.

2015 is the time they set for the full series if I'm remembering correctly.

2015 is the time they set for the full series if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah it was something like two seasons a year I think so that'd be close enough. I should be about ready for another TNG rerun by then, & it'd be a nice novelty to watch them again but in HD. I've seen them so many times at this stage I try avoid them, purely to avoid getting sick of them

I really hope they upgrade DS9 & Voyager to blu ray too!

I really hope they upgrade DS9 & Voyager to blu ray too!

Yeah same here, would love to see DS9 & the Domion war in hd. Voyager too, for the sake of completion. Neelix & Kes in 1080p though? Hmm :pac:

I would love DS9 and probably pass on Voyager but I suspect both would be down to how well the preceding series fared in Blu sales along with a long wait.

I would love DS9 and probably pass on Voyager but I suspect both would be down to how well the preceding series fared in Blu sales along with a long wait.

They're going to have to upgrade them at some point though. The Trek series still bring in a lot of money through syndication rights around the World but that money will dwindle over time as the old SD image ages.

I'd love for them to bring all the series to BR, but i still won't pay €70 a season for them...not even DS9.

It's surprising to me that they haven't released Enterprise on Blu ray yet seeing as it was shot in HD.

I think TNG Blu's are going to be awesome though. It's episodes like 'The Best of Both Worlds', 'Yesterday's Enterprise' & 'Q Who?' that I am looking forward to seeing the most, to name a few!

Apparently some of the footage (13 seconds to be precise) on the taster blu ray that was released a few months back was very bad quality. They couldn't find 13 seconds of film stock and had to use a SD source for it.

Thankfully, they have since recovered the original film negatives of those 13 seconds so the authentic release won't have any of the crappy SD shots in it.

I CANNOT WAIT to see TNG in HD!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So has anyone bought Season One on Bluray yet?

It is a little bit expensive at the moment so I think I'll wait. The extras sound good. I was reading a little bit about the collection on another site.

Link

Advertisement