Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: TNG confirmed for Bluray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I bought seasons 1-3 of BSG for less then a third of that and then flipped, seriously flipped, when I saw season 4 was split in two.

Great show, be excellent on Blu but the price is a joke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not a chance i'm paying that much for a 25 year old show, regardless of how fantastic it is.

It looks fantastic though...i kind of want it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I want it and I don't expect the price to drop in the medium term so I'm not sure about waiting.

It's way more than I'd ever usually pay for a single TV series, but I do understand why and think I'll probably end up paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I want it and I don't expect the price to drop in the medium term so I'm not sure about waiting.

It's way more than I'd ever usually pay for a single TV series, but I do understand why and think I'll probably end up paying it.

well the original series blu rays have been out a few years at this stage and theyre still pretty much at the same price level they were when they came out, perhaps minus about fiver.

i think itll be years and years before the prices drop to anything reasonable.

i paid a bucketload for the dvd sets too.

went ahead and bought the first season cause i just wasnt willing to wait years for the price to drop.

who knows though, maybe waiting is the right thing to do. The holographic editions could be winging our way somtime around 2025 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

My Bluray arrived yesterday - a day earlier than estimated, thanks Amazon - and my god it is GLORIOUS.

The fact its not widescreen was a little weird at first but the image clarity and colour is simply incredible.

Watching Encounter at Farpoint, the part were Q changes to the World War 3 drug soldier you can see that they gave his eyes a more sullen and "doped" look if you will, with bloodshotted-ness around the eyes and made them very watery. I never saw that in any of the previous versions and to see here was kick ass.

Also includes a teaser for Season 2 and a sort of reunion round table with the cast which looks brilliant. Cannot wait to watch the rest of it.

• Advertisement

mine arrived today.

as the last poster states, it does look glorious. increased clarity, sounds amazing! colours are more vibrant.... sfx shots are fantastic! everything you would expect from a blu ray really.

i was really impressed by the amount of effort they put into the menu you use to navigate around the disc.

its a standard lcars menu but with space shots and blueprints of the enterprise all mixed in together.

the depth of vision in the menu was simply staggering.

not to mention the intro to the show.... it has never looked or sounded better!

Ive only watched 'encounter at farpoint' and the final episode 'the neutral zone' so far.

my mouth waters in anticiptaion of later seasons!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

There's been an issue with the audio reported on a number of episodes: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11320440-post319.html

CBS are investigating it, many people seem to think the discs will have to be replaced.

Apart from that the reports on the box set are stellar. In terms of picture quality it looks like it will become the benchmark for future Bluray releases of 80s/90s TV shows.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    There's been an issue with the audio reported on a number of episodes: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11320440-post319.html

CBS are investigating it, many people seem to think the discs will have to be replaced.

Apart from that the reports on the box set are stellar. In terms of picture quality it looks like it will become the benchmark for future Bluray releases of 80s/90s TV shows.

yeah, i came accross this myself a few hours ago.

initially i was gutted. i rushed to the tv to check my own set, somehow hoping it was just the american editions that were affected. not so.

the region B sets are affected too!

now, while there are audio issues, they are not nearly as bad as some posters on other forums are making them out to be.

There are audio issues with the following episodes: Encounter at Farpoint, Encountr at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season.

to be honest, i didnt even notice the audio issue on E @ Farpoint until I read about it and went to check.

the problem is that the spoken parts of the audio tracks on these episodes are distributed unevenly across the speakers for anyone using a digital surround sound system.

which causes problems for anyone who have their speakers spread out throughout the room, as the speech will sound as if its only coming from one corner.

Im deaf in one ear, so i have problems discerning where sounds come from anyways, so i have always had all my speakers in one area.... which is probably why i never noticed the problem initially.

despite this setback, the episodes are still very watchable. it hasnt dented my enjoyment of them at all. for those who cant cope with the unbalanced sound, you can always revert back to the 2.0 track originally broadcast by going to the main menu which sorts out the problem.

The one episode that is VERY noticeable in relation to unbalanced sound is 'Haven'. for the first 2 mins 27 seconds the sound is very echoy and tinny. then all of a sudden it goes back to proper 7.1 dts.... the jump is very noticeable and jarring.

again, to avoid this annoyance you can revert to the 2.0 track which doesnt have the same problem.

some users are reporting lip syncing problems on the 3rd installment of special features on the 6th disc. some are not. that problem at least would seem to be an issue with certain players, rather than the discs themselves.

i checked my 3rd part of the special features and no problem whatsoever with me.

no word yet from CBS/Paramount what they are going to do about this, but its been said that they are already investigating.....

the problem is noticeable, but it only really stands out in Haven. and to a much lesser degree in the other episodes listed.

im still really enjoying the series! but i do sincerely hope some sort of disc replacment program is rolled out......

it would damage sales of future seasons if they didnt.

one thing i can say for sure, its clearly obvious someone in audio quality control was NOT doing their job.....

i rememebr a few years back, the same movie company had to issue a disc replacement program for the film gladiator as they used an old dvd master and upconverted it onto blu ray, rather than going back to the original film negative. it took a few months for the program to roll out, but when it did, I had my replacement disc within weeks.

until then, Im still fully enjoying the series. the sfx, the pic quality are astounding. the sound problem is there, but it hasnt hampered my enjoyment of the series at all.

time will tell what CBS say in an official statement anyways.....

Update: http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

All right, I do have a quick update for you today on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray 7.1 audio issue. CBS has investigated, they're in the process of correcting the problem and we expect to have an official statement from them very soon on how they're going to handle it with consumers.

Now... here's something important: For those of you who may be experiencing audio sync issues with the Dolby Digital audio on the extra features on the TNG
    BDs, check your Blu-ray player settings. Some people are reporting problems and others aren't. It appears NOT to be a player model issue or an actual problem on the discs, but rather inconsistencies in the way people have their players setup. I've done some experiments with our demo system here at The Bits, and essentially what's happening is the more work your Blu-ray player is having to do in terms of processing the video and the audio signal, the more delay between audio and video appears when watching the extras. So if you have a very good display, set your player simply to deliver the video signal without extra processing and let your display do all the work of video processing. Conversely, if you have a high-end A/V receiver, let the receiver do all the heavy-lifting with the audio decoding. In our test system, sure enough when we overworked the player (two different models - Oppo and Panasonic) a significant audio delay appeared. When we restored the proper settings, the problem cleared up. Give that a shot and spread the word when you hear others having similar problems with audio sync on the extras. That at least is NOT a problem with the discs. I should note that setting your player settings in this manner is just a good idea in general - after all, the reason you buy high-quality displays (flat screens or projectors) and A/V receivers is that they have the extra muscle to do the work in delivering the reference video and audio quality you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

The one episode that is VERY noticeable in relation to unbalanced sound is 'Haven'. for the first 2 mins 27 seconds the sound is very echoy and tinny. then all of a sudden it goes back to proper 7.1 dts.... the jump is very noticeable and jarring.

In addition to this, in Haven from about 28 minutes on (starts in the scene in the holodeck with Riker, Troi and her fiancee) there is a noticable echo effect on all the audio. This is separate to the other audio problems reported.

Hopefully CBS are investigating this also.

There's also a minor video effects error on episode 20 when a guy is killed by an invisible phaser.
    Original: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x20/heartofglory201.jpg
    Screenshots from Bluray: http://imgur.com/a/tjr4t

This is very minor, and doesn't bother me, in comparison with the audio issues on Haven.

• Advertisement

seanp_25 wrote: »
    In addition to this, in Haven from about 28 minutes on (starts in the scene in the holodeck with Riker, Troi and her fiancee) there is a noticable echo effect on all the audio. This is separate to the other audio problems reported.

Hopefully CBS are investigating this also.

There's also a minor video effects error on episode 20 when a guy is killed by an invisible phaser.
    Original: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x20/heartofglory201.jpg
    Screenshots from Bluray: http://imgur.com/a/tjr4t

This is very minor, and doesn't bother me, in comparison with the audio issues on Haven.

One thing that crossed my mind is that it is better this happened to season one, rather than later seasons.

If the team in charge of the restoration have any sense, they wont be letting any similar mistakes crop up on future seasons.

With the exception of 'Haven', the issues are so slight I dont even notice them unless Im looking out for them.

And lets face it, 'Haven' is a crap episode!

Im partly tempted to keep my set, even if there is a disc replacement program.

I could have a rare collectors item on my hands in years to come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

One thing that crossed my mind is that it is better this happened to season one, rather than later seasons.

If the team in charge of the restoration have any sense, they wont be letting any similar mistakes crop up on future seasons.

With the exception of 'Haven', the issues are so slight I dont even notice them unless Im looking out for them.

And lets face it, 'Haven' is a crap episode!

Im partly tempted to keep my set, even if there is a disc replacement program.

I could have a rare collectors item on my hands in years to come :D

In all honesty, given the premium price, I'd expect nothing less than perfect audio & video. This kind of quality control mistake is pretty shocking.

EnterNow wrote: »
    In all honesty, given the premium price, I'd expect nothing less than perfect audio & video. This kind of quality control mistake is pretty shocking.

yep, it is pretty shocking. someone in audio dept wasnt doing their job properly!

that said, cbs have said they are fixing the issues and will announce how they will deal with customers who have already bought the sets in due course.

better that this happened at the very beginning of the restoration rather than mid way through in later and far better seasons.

i think for future seasons ill wait a week or two to see if any issues crop up before buying....

they would be really really stupid to let something like this happen twice in a row...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is awful as it puts the viability of future seasons being released in jeopardy. A recall like this is hugely expensive as all copies in stores will need to be recalled and replaced. Customers will have to get new copies sent to them free of charge. It basically doubles production costs.

It also sends out negative vibes and complaints from customers that may stop people from picking up the boxset. People read articles about problems and don't come back in a week to see how the problem was resolved....they just remember the initial article and pass that knowledge along.

Season 2 will definitely be released as work on that is already in progress, but unless it sells well, it might be the last HD release we see. Going through the negatives like that is expensive and time consuming. They won't do it unless it is worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's worth their while because they need to do it unless they want to see their syndication income dry up.

The Blu-ray.com Australia forum thread has been updated with insider information from Paramount Australia: corrected sets are 'due' between August 20 and 30.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=189238&page=3

Bit of a mystery as to why the same hasnt occured for Paramount/Cbs in Europe & USA/Canada???

With any luck we will hear something soon.

The release date for the season one blu ray in OZ has already been put back to 5th Sept and current sets have been taken off the shelves in store...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Went to get this in HMV Kilkenny yesterdayall they had was the original series, season 1 for a bloody €90, and a single copy of the the wrath of khan. I've been up there about 10 times this year, and each time enquire about more stock. Pitiful shop.

i'm now glad they hadn't got it, with those audio problems. Can't wait to see what CBS say/do.

Hey tvshowsondvd.com just posted a replacement program is in the works!!! CBS posted the following:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...#ixzz2285Kbxbu

Now..... this is a disc replacement program for the US.

Ive email them the following:

Hi

Im just writing to enquire how to go about sending out my discs with the audio irregularities and recieve the replacement discs?

I found the link to this email address on an american site.

I am a customer in Ireland, having bought the season one blu ray box set from amazon.co.uk - I'm just wondering how you will be dealing with your customers who don't live in the US.

Many thanks for the reply

--

ill post as soon or IF i hear back from them

So basically because I am the most impatient person on the planet....

I rang their telephone hotline in the states and got through to the dumbest american ever.

Me: HI, I just wanted to enquire about your disc replacement program for the next generation blu ray box set for customers that dont reside in the states. I am in Ireland, in europe.

Rep: Sir, can you please give give me the code on your dics.

Me: EU.... (I proceed to give her the code)

Rep: Oh, you dont live in the states?

Me: eh, no...

Rep: please hold.

5 mins later

Rep: ok sir, please give me your address. slowly spell out the difficult for an american to understand address.

(She asks for the state I live in. I say 'Galway'. )

Rep: Sir, I asked you for the state, not the city, you already gave me that.

Me: The name of the county is the same as the city.

Rep: Oh....

Rep: can you give me the abbreviation of the state please. (Americans abbreviate their state names)

Me: We dont abbreviate our state names here.

Rep: Thats impossible.

Me: Im not in america....

Rep (after a short pause): oh yes, sorry sir.

Me: spells out Galway

Rep: Can I have a zip number sir

Me: We dont have those. I live in a very small country in comparison to America

Rep: OK sir, can I have a postcode

Me: we dont have those either.

Rep: ok sir, can I have your phone number please

ME: had to give it to her three times before she got it correctly

Rep: Thank you sir, your discs will be with you by mid august. we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused our customers and would like to reassure them that this will not happen again in future sets.

Me, before she hangs up: Would you like the country I live in for the address?

Rep: oh yes, thank you....

Me: will the discs you send me be Region A or B?

Rep: please hold.

Rep: Im not sure sir

Me; Ok thanks.

---

This conversation actually happened like 10 mins ago....

Now, if they send me Region A discs Im okay with that as I have a mult region blu ray player :D

phone number for those interested in calling is...001 877 335 8936

--
    Im happy to post my originals to one of you guys here on boards.ie free of charge once I get my replacements.

the first to respond to me on the thread telling me they want them will get them once the new ones come in the post!

might be handy for one of you to have a look at the quality of the picture before deciding to buy....

Ill take the faulty ones :o:o

• Advertisement

Ill take the faulty ones :o:o

no problemo man.

pm me your address and as soon as the new discs arrive I will pop the dodgy discs in the post.

its only discs 1,3 & 5 out of the 6 disc set, but it will still give you a good idea of what youre buying into.

i just hope the new discs arrive quick enough.

if theyre being posted from the states it might take a while.

ill keep you posted via pm anyways

seen as they have found theres a fault. I wonder does that mean all boxsets currently on sale in Europe will be withdrawn from sale by the shops selling them, like HMV etc.

And will a new boxset be produced containing undamaged audio.

no problemo man.

pm me your address and as soon as the new discs arrive I will pop the dodgy discs in the post.

its only discs 1,3 & 5 out of the 6 disc set, but it will still give you a good idea of what youre buying into.

i just hope the new discs arrive quick enough.

if theyre being posted from the states it might take a while.

ill keep you posted via pm anyways

A scholar & a gent, much appreciated man :cool:

A scholar & a gent, much appreciated man :cool:

no problemo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Great telephone conversation, it's always fun trying to explain the lack of detail in Irish addresses to reps.

word on the block is a statement regarding international replacement program for faulty discs will issue shortly.

realised today after trawling through blu-ray.com thread on this subject that i gave the phone operator the wrong code.

apparently all discs both u.s and international begin with an 'sl' and are on the inner ring of the back of the disc

i quoted the front of the disc where the title is printed.

my bad CBS/Paramount.

if a uk program starts ill sign up to it cause god knows when the u.s discs will arrive.

if i end up with an extra set (one already promised to 'enternow') ill pass it onto one of you guys

time will tell anyways.

im curious about the boxsets that are sitting on shelves waiting to be sold, these should be withdrawn and the faulty discs be replaced.

Its wrong for a person to have to purchase that boxset in lets say 6 months and then turn around and have to contact CBS and replace the discs. A full withdrawal should be placed on all boxsets.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    im curious about the boxsets that are sitting on shelves waiting to be sold, these should be withdrawn and the faulty discs be replaced.

Its wrong for a person to have to purchase that boxset in lets say 6 months and then turn around and have to contact CBS and replace the discs. A full withdrawal should be placed on all boxsets.

yeah i agree with ya!

all box sets in australia have been recalled and they have set the release date to sept 5th.

but in the states sets are still available, and it seems consumers will have to buy the sets there and apply to the disc replacement program.

no word on how they will do it here in this neck of the woods yet....

no word on how they will do it here in this neck of the woods yet....

No doubt arsways backwards & upside down...like the way most things are handled here :rolleyes: Also the US probably isn't even aware that Eyerland has Blu Ray technology :p

• Advertisement

i contacted Zavvi (its where i order online) and HMV by email on Monday

Yesterday Zavvi replied:

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the box set on the site.

I was not personally aware of the fault with the item so I will email our
    buying department for you now to see what is being done regarding the faulty
    item.

We will contact you shortly regarding this item.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Its still for sale though.

Advertisement