Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: TNG confirmed for Bluray

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I suppose a lot of retailers simply arn't aware of it either. It'll become known more & more though as time goes on & they should indeed be removed from shelves. It's surely against consumer rights here to sell something that isn't as described/fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It is a bit surprising that retailers weren't informed but it could be Paramount wants to minimize the fallout so they're aiming to replace disks when contacted by customers who are not in a recall area rather then replace the entire stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i contacted Play.com and Wow HD after my previous reply, to see what they'd say, Play.com had an interesting reply:
    As far as were aware we have no issues with our current stock levels, although we are aware of the fault with previous stock, we have not had any queries saying it is faulty.

Kind Regards

that would seem to suggest there faulty boxsets have been replaced, don't see how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i contacted Play.com and Wow HD after my previous reply, to see what they'd say, Play.com had an interesting reply:

that would seem to suggest there faulty boxsets have been replaced, don't see how.

i think theyre basically just saying they dont care tbh.

a friend had a bad experience with play.com before and ive never used them since. she ordered something and it never arrived. it took weeks for them to get back to her, and when they did they basically tried to insinuate she did in fact recieve what she bought. after another couple of months of arguing they sent another, eventually.

after seeing what she went through i never shop there now. amazon always get a thumbs up from me as their customer service is top notch.

on amazon.com website there is a warning on the stock page for the blu ray that there are issues with the discs and info abotu the replacement program but the sets are still for sale :confused:

so im thinking consumers will just have to buy the defective sets and apply for the replacement discs.

not good enough imho, but what can ya do

a friend had a bad experience with play.com before and ive never used them since. she ordered something and it never arrived. it took weeks for them to get back to her, and when they did they basically tried to insinuate she did in fact recieve what she bought. after another couple of months of arguing they sent another, eventually.

same here, i bet every other customer has had an experience at one time or other.

amazon always get a thumbs up from me as their customer service is top notch.

I keep hearing good things about amazon, always gave my business to Zavvi, which i rate 10/10. I must give amazon a go.

so im thinking consumers will just have to buy the defective sets and apply for the replacement discs.
    not good enough imho, but what can ya do

yeah, was really looking forward to that boxset. I'll wait a month a see if theres a european replacement program put into place, before i buy.

• Advertisement

I'm also a little weary about Play.com, they sent me something different to what I had ordered and after contacting them the reply said my item was out of stock, they never explained why they sent what they did.

on amazon.co.uk right now on tng blu ray page

Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

good to see this. hoepfully it will push cbs to speed up their redistribution process and replacement program here in europe

play.com contacted me again this morning:
    We have liased with paramount who advised they are not sure what UK stock is effected by the fault, as far as we are aware we have sold a few hundred copies and we have not had any feedback to say it is faulty, if you do purchase a copy and it is faulty, we will be able to accept it back as a return for replacement/refund.

don't like the use of a replacement, seen as they are not sure what packs are affected. If what play.com says is true, it would seem Paramount are against a recall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't see them doing a full recall over this. Look at the LOTR Blu-rays. Or the BTTF DVDs. They'll issue replacement discs but they won't do a full recall over an issue that they figure most people won't notice.

I can't see them doing a full recall over this. Look at the LOTR Blu-rays. Or the BTTF DVDs. They'll issue replacement discs but they won't do a full recall over an issue that they figure most people won't notice.

a recall everywhere probably wont happen as there are still many out there oblivious to the problems, and to be fair the issues are very slight on most episodes unless youre listening to them on a surround sound system.

but with the worlds largest online retailer, amazon (both in america, uk & europe), refusing to sell the stock until the issue is sorted, you can be sure paramount will act quickly to produce new sets.

if they dont they will lose a lot of buisness.

• Advertisement

play.com contacted me again this morning:

don't like the use of a replacement, seen as they are not sure what packs are affected. If what play.com says is true, it would seem Paramount are against a recall.

just wait until amazon have the sets up for sale again. :D id say once theyre selling them again, the issue will have been resolved!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I went ahead and got it yesterday in hmv galway. sorry if this was answered before. What do i have to do to get the replacement discs whens they are available? i have seen the e-mail address and phone number that you can contact them on but i'm presuming that's for the u.s customers

sky23 wrote: »
    I went ahead and got it yesterday in hmv galway. sorry if this was answered before. What do i have to do to get the replacement discs whens they are available? i have seen the e-mail address and phone number that you can contact them on but i'm presuming that's for the u.s customers

im in ireland and rang and theyre sending me out the discs.

the us versions discs look different to the uk editions so if that will bother you then youre probably better off waiting for the uk replacement program to start.

word is it will begin soon.

just wait until amazon have the sets up for sale again. :D id say once theyre selling them again, the issue will have been resolved!

yeah, i'll probably go with amazon for season 1.

I thought if i emailed enough online businesses, they'll contact paramount/cbs and that might make CBS roll out a replacement for Europe all that quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

im in ireland and rang and theyre sending me out the discs.

the us versions discs look different to the uk editions so if that will bother you then you're probably better off waiting for the uk replacement program to start.

word is it will begin soon.

Thanks for the reply. i have have looked back and seen your post since. I wouldn't mind it looking different but i would need it to be region B i don't have a multiregion player and they apparently don't know themselves as you found out:p so i'll wait and see

sky23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. i have have looked back and seen your post since. I wouldn't mind it looking different but i would need it to be region B i don't have a multiregion player and they apparently don't know themselves as you found out:p so i'll wait and see

yeah, if your player isnt multi region then youre better off waiting just to be safe.

paramount releases tend to be region free but without knowing for sure its too much of a risk!

this on amazon.co.uk

Technical Issues with this Product
    The manufacturer has confirmed the following technical issues with this product. The sound has been incorrectly mapped on some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One on Blu-ray. This error will impact customers using a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. Until corrected discs are available, we have removed the product from sale. We are working to resolve this and will be contacting customers who have previously purchased this title from Amazon.co.uk.

now thats what i call customer service! :)

this on amazon.co.uk

Technical Issues with this Product
    The manufacturer has confirmed the following technical issues with this product. The sound has been incorrectly mapped on some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One on Blu-ray. This error will impact customers using a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. Until corrected discs are available, we have removed the product from sale. We are working to resolve this and will be contacting customers who have previously purchased this title from Amazon.co.uk.

now thats what i call customer service! :)

that should put a fire under the manufacturers. They're probably losing a lot of sales over this and will now have to rush and fix this.

FINALLY!

A replacement program for the Uk/Ireland :D

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, we have taken this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation by recalling affected product and replacing it. Corrected versions can be identified by the appearance of a red Delta on the spine and will contain barcode no: 5051368241838 for ease of identification. If you purchased the box set prior to the recall, this will be replaced and will be made available free of charge. Please email stng@sonydadc.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 01992 657 739 Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologise for this inconvenience.

Lisa Moyes | Senior Brand Manager
    Paramount Home Entertainment (UK)

T: 0203 184 2478 | M: 07747 765 484

---

great to see that customers who havent bought the set yet will be able to identify if sets in stores are the corrected versions or not. good job paramount! im calling later on!

an email i recieved from paramount uk:

Dear Star Trek fan,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The current situation with the replacement program is as follows:-
    • Product purchased from Amazon or Play will be replaced by your retailer. Replacement stock is currently being manufactured and should be available after 23rd August, (exact date to be confirmed). Your retailer will automatically send replacement stock to you as soon as it is available. Faulty stock is being recalled and will need to be returned. You will contacted about the returns process in due course.
    • If you purchased your product elsewhere, please bear with us until further details of your replacement program are confirmed. You will also be supplied with replacement stock, once it becomes available, and will be required to return the faulty stock.

Kind regards

Sony DADC, on behalf of Paramount Home Entertainment UK

an email i recieved from amazon this morning:

We're contacting you about your Amazon.co.uk order, which included the following item:

Title: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free]

ASIN: B007Q1GK0A

Since you ordered this product, the manufacturer has confirmed that they have discovered technical issues with Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray. There is an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to some episodes in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, the manufacturer is taking this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

A corrected version of this product will soon be available and we are working to ensure that you receive a replacement copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 on Blu-ray as soon as possible.

Your complimentary replacement will be dispatched to the same delivery address as that used for your original order.

No action is needed from you and there will be no charge for this replacement.

The replacement will be sent out as soon as new stock of this item is received from our supplier. We'll send you an e-mail to confirm when your replacement has been sent, and you will be able to view the status of this order via Your Account at the top of any page on our website or use the following link:

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

happy days! :D

now the email from paramount says the faulty stock will need to be returned to the retailer, but its always been my experience with amazon that they dont require faulty items be returned if theyre under the 100 euro selling point. ive had a speaker set break that i bought from them a few years back that cost 70 euros and they sent me out a replacement without the need to return the original. time will tell anyways what happens.

i was a little premature in contacting the usa disc replacement program it seems, but sure what harm

• Advertisement

i received an email from HMV today:
    Thanks for your email regarding the Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1
    Blu-Ray.

Our suppliers have now confirmed that all UK stock is faulty and
    have asked that it be returned back to them. They have ordered new stock from
    the manufacturers, orders should be fulfilled with this new stock in a few weeks
    time.

i just checked there website, they could at least put a note to customers explaining this like amazon did, they still have it for sale too. :confused:

i received an email from HMV today:

i just checked there website, they could at least put a note to customers explaining this like amazon did, they still have it for sale too. :confused:

says it all really, no wonder hmv are struggling to compete for market share with service like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The quality if bloody amazing i have to say. Watching the first episode at the moment, and you can even see people walking in the area on top of the ship (observation lounge?).

Kiith wrote: »
    The quality if bloody amazing i have to say. Watching the first episode at the moment, and you can even see people walking in the area on top of the ship (observation lounge?).

yeah, its the observation lounge

theres a neat little extra somewhere in the special features on the set where they show you how they did that. all it is is a crudely hand drawn picture of staff moving around the lounge :D

from tng.trekcore.com

Box Office Data site The-Numbers.com has published some initial sales figures for the release of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 on Blu-Ray. According to their estimates, the set sold a massive 95,435 copies in the first 5 days after release - and those figures are just for the U.S. market. These figures would seem indicate an initial income of well over $5.5m, a large chunk of the $9m which CBS invested in the first season remastering process.

Fans (and indeed the writing staff and stars) of Star Trek: The Next Generation often state that the show didn't 'find it's feet' until the third season, and so there was some concern that the first season would not sell as well due to many fans having a luke-warm attitude to it. These sales figures, thankfully, seem to contradict that prediction and are incredibly encouraging. CBS has been saying for a while now that the possibility of future Trek HD remasterings would be dictated by how strongly fans received the TNG sets and how many units they were able to sell... hopefully these numbers bring us all one step closer to HD transfers for Deep Space Nine and Voyager!

--

so it would seem that they have made 5.5 million back from the 9 million they spent on remastering the first season. and thats only from sales in the us.... which presumably means that they have possibly already made their money back from the first season taking sales in europe and australia into consideration?

I wonder how much that 9 million has gone up by due to the sound error.

I wonder how much that 9 million has gone up by due to the sound error.

well seeing as the remastering process was already finished, the main cost with the sound errors would just be in reissuing discs. so in the grand scheme of things, not that much.

i just hope they remaster ds9 & voyager afterwards. it wouldnt be right not to

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rayland Givens

That's great news! I can not wait to watch TNG on blue ray. Hope it is not too expensive though!

That's great news! I can not wait to watch TNG on blue ray. Hope it is not too expensive though!

selling for 67-70 euros depending on where you go. hold off on buying it until the replacement sets are selling as the originals issued are defective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rayland Givens

Thanks for the price update.

Advertisement