Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese prawns anyone?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Today I was delighted to see that Tesco have started to sell fresh uncooked prawns. However, my joy was short lived whwn I realised that they had been imported from China. Why, when Donegal has it's own prawns are we importing? Wouldn't locally sourced sea food be much cheaper, not to mention fresher?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

annascott wrote: »
    Today I was delighted to see that Tesco have started to sell fresh uncooked prawns. However, my joy was short lived whwn I realised that they had been imported from China. Why, when Donegal has it's own prawns are we importing? Wouldn't locally sourced sea food be much cheaper, not to mention fresher?

Because its a big Multinational company, not a local company. If tesco were scouring locally they would come from the UK not Donegal to start with, and you can rest assured that they are getting their products from the cheapest place then can get them... in fact i remember see a show on telly, hughs fish fight i think, where they went to the far east to where they bought the fish, and they were getting peanuts for the fish, and the prawns were being injected with something to get their weight up too....

Bottem line if they were to get them here they would be much much much more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

similarly, why are we importing lamb from New Zealand, when I can see sheep from every window in our house in Donegal.. someone is pulling the wool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

they may be "Irish" prawns sent to China to be processed and then sent back to Briland. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Durnish wrote: »
    they may be "Irish" prawns sent to China to be processed and then sent back to Briland. Seriously.

I'd heard that this happens in Scotland. Harvested in Scotland, shipped to Far East to be processed, then shipped back again to be sold. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

similarly, why are we importing lamb from New Zealand, when I can see sheep from every window in our house in Donegal.. someone is pulling the wool :rolleyes:
    And thats you just looking in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

yep, couldnt rsist adding my tupence hay-pennys worth :) btw, Im currently in Prince Edward Island, Canada, and they have the same issue with the lamb here.. imported from NZ. But they certainly dont have the same issue with the prawns, all seafood is caught and sold locally.
    ( Im just about to cross the longest bridge in the world http://www.confederationbridge.com/en/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Tesco's policy does seem rather shellfish.

I will get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it's logic you're looking for, the fish industry is not the place to be looking! A mate used to load up with fish in Killybegs for Denmark and get a backload of their fish, which was then used for not-Donegal Catch:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

bought prawns this evening from INDONESIA. The guy on the counter (Tesco) told me that the nearest caught fish was the mackeral /herring which was caught in Scotland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

annascott wrote: »
    bought prawns this evening from INDONESIA. The guy on the counter (Tesco) told me that the nearest caught fish was the mackeral /herring which was caught in Scotland...

So why do you keep buying them :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Terrible Tesco, forcing people to buy prawns from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So why do you keep buying them :confused:

+1

dont shop at tesco - simples

Advertisement