Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C's for a newbie

• 29-09-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

So i only got out for the first time with my first DSLR two days ago and iv been loving it. Its weird how a normally mundane walk turn into something more exhilarating with the camera in tow. I noticed myself actually "looking" at things and observing them in ways i would normally ignore or bypass. Having the camera in my hands is like having a trigger that gets my brain looking at things differently. If anything id say thats worth the price of the camera alone!!

All revelations aside its still a brand new hobby to me and i was hoping i could get some advice off you kind folk. Im still battling with getting my head around key concepts and functions but everyone keeps saying that you should just go and shoot and learn the functions and methods in time. So thats what iv been doing, going out and shooting and hoping its turns out somewhat appealing.

Naturally alot of the time i take a shot and the skys blown out or everything is in focus or the scenes too dark or too bright but i guess the only way to learn is to shoot and revise and adjust.

So iv got a few snaps i took over the past two days and was hoping you guys could impart some knowledge and give some advice. Dont be too harsh!! Its a hobby i would like to keep up, dashing my hopes so soon would be a bummer :P

Instead of uploading pics i reckon its best just to go to my pix.ie page

http://pix.ie/steveskittles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Were these shot on automatic? The reason I ask is the first photo (IMG_1300) looks a little underexposed to me around the fountain and its base and a little overexposed in the background beside the wall.

Again IMG_1333 the harbour scene initially looks like a silhouette look. Maybe that's what you were trying to achieve, but on closer inspection it just looks like a badly underexposed scenery shot. If you play around with the shutter speed in these situations it will teach you a lot very quickly. Try to get examples of the same shots over and underexposed and then try to find a balance in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

Keep shooting Steve, it takes time.
    Join a camera club - Great idea.
    Read books and study images. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Join Flickr as well as Pix.ie. Pix.ie is great for hosting images but Flickr is much better at engaging you and you allowing you to explore and learn.

Other than that, keep taking photos. Was it Cartier-Bresson who said that your first 10,000 photographs are the worst? It's true.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There you go, left a few comments on your Pix.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Thanks very much guys for the comments, i was using the camera in aperture priority mode so i don't think i had as much flexibility as id like. Granted i only discovered what the exposure meter is for only last night. I know i know classic case of R.T.F.M!! I only got a dvd in the post yesterday, Karl taylors intro to photography and i really enjoyed it. It made everything much clearer to me and i reckon ill be more comfortable making the shift to full manual.

One question i have is about the metering, regarding its accuracy. If for example i want to achieve a certain effect such as misty water due to long shutter speeds, should i still be aiming to get the metering scale bang in the middle by say increasing the apeture or decreasing iso? Will the meter being dead center mean ill get more balanced pics? Also one last thing. How many of you guys bracket? As a beginner should i always bracket so's to increase my chances of getting a better picture?

Pull and bang thank you very much for your comments. Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

steve_ wrote: »
    If for example i want to achieve a certain effect such as misty water due to long shutter speeds, should i still be aiming to get the metering scale bang in the middle by say increasing the apeture or decreasing iso? Will the meter being dead center mean ill get more balanced pics?

If you want milky water, set your camera to shutter priority, your ISO to 100 and then set the shutter speed to at least 2 seconds (depending on how fast/slow the water is). Put it on a tripod, use the self timer or a cable release and away you go.

Set your metering to "evaluative" and you'll cover most scenarios.

Forget bracketing, that'll only lead down the dreaded road of HDR. From that it's the slippery slope to shooting swans........;)

Advertisement