Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Repair Quote... Am I being fleeced?!?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I own a 99 Hyundai Accent. Yesterday it broke down and when we took it to a garage I was told that one of the linkages for the clutch was gone and would need to be replaced. They said they would need to order the parts from the Hyundai dealer and it would cost €230 to replace both clutch linkages including labour. A friend told me he had the same problem with a car he had and that it was fixed in 2 hours and only cost €75. Does it sound like I am being ripped off? I know nothing about this sort of stuff so any advice on this would be great...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AndrewBond

There are no "two clutch linkages" in this Accent, its hydraulically operated system. If slave cylinder fails you can't drive the car, but repair would be quick, straightforward and pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

There are linkage cables for changing gear however, unless this is what they are replacing

Paddy001 wrote: »
    There are linkage cables for changing gear however, unless this is what they are replacing
    That's possible, but as she mentioned "clutch" and "broke down" rather than problems with shifting gears than its better for her to be aware...
    I just had another women on the same Accent with the same breakdown and she was sure gearbox failed and up for expensive repair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suzieplease

I phoned this morning to find out why I was quoted so much and he said because they were ordering new parts and they only come in pairs... He said whatever links the gears and the clutch had snapped and had to be replaced. I phoned another garage who said those parts can be got 2nd hand so I'm gonna try get the car to him.. Thanks for the responses :)

I have to note that if gearbox cable was snapped (not "clutch linkages") garage was right supplying you new parts rather than second hand. They obliged to provide you with warranty and they can't guarantee second hand parts quality. Now it'll be another mechanics headache if second hand part fails ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I phoned this morning to find out why I was quoted so much and he said because they were ordering new parts and they only come in pairs... He said whatever links the gears and the clutch had snapped and had to be replaced. I phoned another garage who said those parts can be got 2nd hand so I'm gonna try get the car to him.. Thanks for the responses :)

In fairness to the garage, OEM Hyundai parts can be expensive, then he has to fit them and then the vat etc. I doubt he's fleecing you, just trying to do the job right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suzieplease

Ya I talked it over with my uncle who knows about cars and he said the same about the parts from the dealer being that expensive. I decided to go ahead with the original garage I brought it to. It's less hassle and at least I know it will be done right... Thanks again for the responses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Good call..have it done and sorted and back to normal.

Advertisement