Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college?! Help?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Ok, so... another story I'm sure others can familiarise themselves with.
    Now out of work, almost 24 and considering going to college.

But like many, since out of work can barely fund myself to survive as it is without college fees. Can someone fill me in on how to apply and what the mature student grant actually covers? All the info out there differs from place to place and would just like someone with experience in this to help.

Considering going to DCU to do the four year B.Sc in Computer Applications.
    Currently on social welfare since last Christmas and I'm FED UP doing nothing.

Have no leaving cert (which I regret, immensely). It's a four year course and I've heard you will only get a grant and supplements for your first year. If that's the case, will I be ok for my first year? What happens if I can't get a job for my second year?

Am I DOOOOOOOOOMED ?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Thanks lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

If you get offered the grant or BTEA for first year then you also get it for the remaining years of your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

If you live 45km + from DCU the grant is around 6k. Any less than 45km its around half that or less. Your 2k reg fee will also be covered. Having no leaving cert makes no difference as mature students are allocated a number of places, life experience will count in your interview though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

That last poster is incorrect, whilst you do not need a LC to get onto a degree they will be looking for proof that you are academically able for the course. To get into CA you would need to show you have a good ability at maths and/or some knowledge of computer programming or technical knowledge. I would suggest trying to get onto some type of shorter course ie FAS or a FETAC level 5 in computing and see how you get on.

It is worth contacting the recruitment sections of colleges/unis to get more info. Make sure you get accurate info not what friends etc tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

cairdre wrote: »
    Hi

That last poster is incorrect, whilst you do not need a LC to get onto a degree they will be looking for proof that you are academically able for the course. To get into CA you would need to show you have a good ability at maths and/or some knowledge of computer programming or technical knowledge. I would suggest trying to get onto some type of shorter course ie FAS or a FETAC level 5 in computing and see how you get on.

It is worth contacting the recruitment sections of colleges/unis to get more info. Make sure you get accurate info not what friends etc tell you.

Ok I missed that the OP was only 24yo. If older, then new qualifications gained after Inter cert with life experience and of coarse most importantly proficiency in maths.

Advertisement