Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I say

• 29-09-2011 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I have recently been using my crutches more and more, due to PAIN.
    Anyway I have had a man scream in my face that Im a handicapped Bast**d.
    The other day I had another man stop me and ask me what was wrong with me, was it a broken leg.I never seen this person before in my life.
    Now to be honest, after the mad guy screaming at me, I just dont feel safe , esp as I am 9 months pregnant and well, what should I do, say nothing and walk on, or , as I have done in the past, explain my whole medical history in a hope that they leave me alone.

One I told the person what was wrong , he said ok and walked on??
    Thanks for the advice,Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just tell them something simple like your spine has become misaligned due to your preganancy. It happens a lot. It happened to my wife and generally speaking people are usually only making conversation when they ask you.

As for the rude one....I cant tell you legally how to deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

cathy01 wrote: »
    I have recently been using my crutches more and more, due to PAIN.
    Anyway I have had a man scream in my face that Im a handicapped Bast**d.
    The other day I had another man stop me and ask me what was wrong with me, was it a broken leg.I never seen this person before in my life.
    Now to be honest, after the mad guy screaming at me, I just dont feel safe , esp as I am 9 months pregnant and well, what should I do, say nothing and walk on, or , as I have done in the past, explain my whole medical history in a hope that they leave me alone.

One I told the person what was wrong , he said ok and walked on??
    Thanks for the advice,Cathy

Tell them both to mind their own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I just find it hard to believe that strangers can stop you and ask your business just because you have a crutch?Its mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

People are nosey simple as, you're under no obligation to reveal anything though.

Person shouting at you sounds like a nut and would have found another reason to hurl abuse regardless of crutches or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

As Mental Mickey says, ''none of your business'' is my stock riposte.
    This is delivered more or less politely, depending on mood and circumstance.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. Complete strangers approach me in the street/supermarket/bank/pub and ask straight out 'what happened to you?'.

The worst bit is a lot of the time they take offence when you're not amenable to giving them a tale of misery while about your life's business.

I've also had really hurtful things shouted at me dozens of times. I'm quite robust and thick skinned but it still rankles.

People can be insensitive morons. And they don't like it one bit when you turn out not to fit the meek and mild 'cripple' stereotype.

The end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Liisa

Cathy, a polite "none of your business" is the best way, you're being the bigger person and if they have a problem with that, they're obviously a nutjob.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy by the way!

Advertisement