Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcheck for bikes??

• 29-09-2011 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭

Is it worth doing a motorcheck for bikes? Im taking a look at a cbr250 at the weekend. I would normally do it for a car but is it really necessary for a bike? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Is it worth doing a motorcheck for bikes? Im taking a look at a cbr250 at the weekend. I would normally do it for a car but is it really necessary for a bike? Cheers

For the sake of 35 quid it will put your mind at ease, esp if it has been imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thewatch

oleras wrote: »
    For the sake of 35 quid it will put your mind at ease, esp if it has been imported.

CBR 250 is definitely gonna be imported. Then its down to any receipts the previous owner kept which is probably gonna be feck all. Be better to have a mechanic look at the bike before buying or someone who knows there stuff

Those 250's like Jap cars are frequently clocked too

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

If your unsure make sure you bring someone that knows bikes, if possible, that knows cbr250's. They are tough little bikes but lots of them have been ridden as absolute screamers

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Well, to answer OP's question (kinda), i spent €35 on a test for an Audi i was looking at at the start of the summer and it ended up saving me nearly 9 grand. You're buying peace of mind really, which is always nice to have.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but i'll ask anyway. Nearly finished the IBT now and looking at a bike in Dublin. Only thing is, i live in Clare so i can't really bring my mechanic up, and i don't have any friends who are into biking and could help out. Now i think i'll fork out the €35 to put my mind at ease. But if i want to get it looked at should i go to a private mechanic or a shop (such as Bikeworld)?

Cheers,

Kev

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Well, to answer OP's question (kinda), i spent €35 on a test for an Audi i was looking at at the start of the summer and it ended up saving me nearly 9 grand. You're buying peace of mind really, which is always nice to have.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but i'll ask anyway. Nearly finished the IBT now and looking at a bike in Dublin. Only thing is, i live in Clare so i can't really bring my mechanic up, and i don't have any friends who are into biking and could help out. Now i think i'll fork out the €35 to put my mind at ease. But if i want to get it looked at should i go to a private mechanic or a shop (such as Bikeworld)?

Cheers,

Kev

What bike is it your looking for?
    Ask on a biking forum and someone will probably help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

I know the honda would be the more reliable out of the 250 four cyclinder bikes but it's most likely to be over 10 years old. Would you not look at something more up the years or less "exciting" to look at.

CB250/500, GPZ500/ER650, Bandit 600/SV650, Fazer 600 etc etc

I'm thinking of the reliability, as most likely it will have had it's neck wrung in japan before being clocked on the boat, given a good waxing to spruce it up and had it's neck wrung for another few "L" plate years and then being passed on to you.

If you do go ahead apart from any crash damage make sure all the consumables like brakes/tyres/chain & sprockets/fork seals & suspension parts/battery are all in good nick and it's been serviced with a rcent oil change. Or else allow for that budget in the price....

thewatch wrote: »
    What bike is it your looking for?
    Ask on a biking forum and someone will probably help you

Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'll ask around and see what i can find out. Thanks.

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'll ask around and see what i can find out. Thanks.

They are very new. Can't be too much wrong with one unless it been down the road. If you find one anywhere in Munster I'd be happy to take a spin to help you out and look over it for you.

Send me a PM if needs be. I'm in Cork

Nice bike to start on those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I know the honda would be the more reliable out of the 250 four cyclinder bikes but it's most likely to be over 10 years old. Would you not look at something more up the years or less "exciting" to look at.

CB250/500, GPZ500/ER650, Bandit 600/SV650, Fazer 600 etc etc

I'm thinking of the reliability, as most likely it will have had it's neck wrung in japan before being clocked on the boat, given a good waxing to spruce it up and had it's neck wrung for another few "L" plate years and then being passed on to you.

If you do go ahead apart from any crash damage make sure all the consumables like brakes/tyres/chain & sprockets/fork seals & suspension parts/battery are all in good nick and it's been serviced with a rcent oil change. Or else allow for that budget in the price....

Ive decided to wait til after the winter and buy a cheap bike then. I dont have a prob with an old cbr250, I just want something to go far spins on and get my full license. Im into sportsbikes thats why cbr250

thewatch wrote: »
    They are very new. Can't be too much wrong with one unless it been down the road. If you find one anywhere in Munster I'd be happy to take a spin to help you out and look over it for you.

Send me a PM if needs be. I'm in Cork

Nice bike to start on those

That is a most generous offer, but i'm afraid the bike is all the way up in Dublin (Clare man myself). From the pictures though it looks to be in good nick and it has crash protectors fitted.

Did my research though, and if you want a sports bike i honestly don't think you can get a nicer bike to start on. Right on the limit of the two year licence restriction, but small and light to keep it nimble and build confidence. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers for the offer though. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement