Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant in city centre

Options
  • 29-09-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

hi, looking for a restaurant that's easy to find in cork city for saturday for the missus and me.I'm not a local. hoping that it'd clock in under 80 for both of us, so dont want patrick guilbaulds!
    no chinese/indian etc please!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

digzy wrote: »
    hi, looking for a restaurant that's easy to find in cork city for saturday for the missus and me.I'm not a local. hoping that it'd clock in under 80 for both of us, so dont want patrick guilbaulds!
    no chinese/indian etc please!

Is it for an occasion ?
    Currans on the north main street do nice straight forward food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh I have to say we have gone there twice recently and the Strasbourg Goose if great value, staff are really nice and friendly. Here is the website http://www.strasbourggoosecork.com/

The do a three course menu for €20.00 or you can take a glass of wine insted of dessert. Would reomend the duck in orange sauce it taste like terrys chocolate orange, pate is yummie, goats cheese too but tis a big dish.

You would be better off to book ahead as it does get quite busy if you wanted a quite table perhaps you could ask for the table upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Any chance of a restaurant sticky on this forum, or would that be too much hassle? I know there was one before when Faith was mod. Seems there is a new restaurant thread every other day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Milly33 wrote: »
    Uhh I have to say we have gone there twice recently and the Strasbourg Goose if great value, staff are really nice and friendly. Here is the website http://www.strasbourggoosecork.com/

Yep! You CANNOT go wrong with this place, don't let the price put you off, eventhough it's cheap the food is absolutely delicious. We've been there 4 times and we've never been disappointed, they even include steak and duck in the 3 courses for €20 menu. Staff are really good in there too, place is always busy these days so book well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Currans is great but dependant on the side of the city people are based, I like Amicas in Paul St also, never had a bad meal there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

razorblunt wrote: »
    Currans is great but dependant on the side of the city people are based, I like Amicas in Paul St also, never had a bad meal there.

Amicas's food is pretty good, though I find the place sooo cramped; tables are very close together and it's always busy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Amicas's food is pretty good, though I find the place sooo cramped; tables are very close together and it's always busy.

Last few times I've been there the service has been woeful as well. Good and all as the food is , I'm not waiting 15 minutes to be seated in an empty restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I went to Liberty Grill a few weeks back, great restaurant. Really good quality food, superb raw ingredients. And classic "grill" food all with a twist. If you're looking at 80 notes max you should get two courses, bottle of vino and a coffee after for that.

I'd recommend the fish of the day, which is probably the most expensive thing on the menu at about €21, but when someone got it it was monkfish the last time, superbly cooked, and monkfish is generally not a cheap fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

many thanks for all the replies.
    the strasbourg duck was booked out and currans no. doesn't work. I'm staying at the lancaster lodge so took a chance on the cornstore.
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Café Bar Deli and the Liberty Grill are both great and affordable.

Café Bar Deli is on a street I don't know the name of that connects Patrick Street and Paul Street (it's the one behind the Ulster Bank) and the Liberty Grill is on Washington Street near the courthouse. Café Bar Deli does great pizza, salads and pasta dishes. I guess the food is a bit Italian but it is not an Italian-themed place. It's just a place that does nice food.

The Liberty Grill is sort of like American dinner style food but as proper restaurant food. It has American/continental breakfasts, fancy toast and a range of different burgers including Swiss cheese burgers, halloumi burgers and crab burgers.

Those two places are the usual for when I go for a dinner + movie with my girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

digzy wrote: »
    I'm staying at the lancaster lodge so took a chance on the cornstore.

Nice place but a bit on the expensive side. I doubt you will have much change out of the €80 left.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

gimmick wrote: »
    Any chance of a restaurant sticky on this forum, or would that be too much hassle? I know there was one before when Faith was mod. Seems there is a new restaurant thread every other day at this stage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70826196

That is the thread your talking about which descended into a farce.
    And thats the reason I am not going to have another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I do not see any farce there. Faith modded out a lot of the nonsense. Surely a trial period of a week or 2 could is worth a shot at least.

Seems a very informative thread really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am bit lost as to why that thread was considered a farce.:confused:

Could anyone suggest a nice place for lunch in the city centre for a person on there own.?

I hve been to Amicus. Handy to Patrick Street please.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I am bit lost as to why that thread was considered a farce.:confused:

Could anyone suggest a nice place for lunch in the city centre for a person on there own.?

I hve been to Amicus. Handy to Patrick Street please.

Zaks might suit you, decent lunch menu and folks enjoying their own company wouldn't be unusual, there, particularly if you enjoy a smoke, there is an outside table or two. Not the day for it today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Any thoughts on earlybirds in the city? Considering SoHo, just for friends on weeknights wanting some dinner and a chat.

Advertisement