Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EC to test broadband performance across member states

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Interesting results so far.

Downstream Throughput - 83.65Mbps Average
    Upstream Throughput - 7.59Mbps Average
    Latency - 27.65ms Average
    Packet Loss - 0.20% Average

Only thing that concerns me is the fact that my network is constantly in use. There's at least one person using the connection at any time, and there's a few servers running from here 24/7, constantly using the connection. I'm not sure if I (or Samknows) can rely on these results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yep, it's constantly monitoring the network for usage. But, my network is constantly in use, there's always something transferring data at any time during the day, so I believe this may be skewing my results.
    Excel sheet confirmed this last month (haven't checked this month yet) when I left all devices disconnected for a period of a few hours. During that time, the results were far better than my averages.

Condi wrote: »

Yeah, that's my guess too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Just got mine today
    UPC 25Mb and I got the TP - LINK WR741ND, setting it up soon

What use will this be to me after the testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Just got my box today, Also just got it set up, Although there doesn't seem to be a way to interface with the box settings, So can't do anything through the wireless. Seems like it's just setup as a complete passthrough for lan devices, Which makes me think it's odd that it comes with the giant antennas for wireless.

Mine is the WR1043ND which is great as i have a 100Mb line, Obviously they are sending the WR741ND to people who don't have high speed connections and really wouldn't have much use for the top end ones.

If anyone figures out how to configure this bad boy, Please post how!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thor wrote: »

If anyone figures out how to configure this bad boy, Please post how!!

Have a look HERE:

Signup HERE:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So, how's everyone doing re results? All mine are the same as usual. Too much constant network traffic to gauge accurate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My One is On a customer site right now, eircom 24mbit line. Getting this. :)

224370.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eircom, is fixed only rural areas should apply. Because these country areas were speeds are never met or even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    My One is On a customer site right now, eircom 24mbit line. Getting this. :)

Sort them DNS servers out will ye.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is all going to Brussels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I kind of want to sign up for this but was wondering if i would be getting the gigabit router as well? I am on E-fiber 70Mbps connection?
    and also can someone please enlighten me on how to set this up? Do you have to bridge it, if so unfortunately i wont be able to do that since F1000 boot loops :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I kind of want to sign up for this but was wondering if i would be getting the gigabit router as well? I am on E-fiber 70Mbps connection?
    and also can someone please enlighten me on how to set this up? Do you have to bridge it, if so unfortunately i wont be able to do that since F1000 boot loops :/

This is an old thread, but still seems to be relevant. According to the supplier they only supply gigabit boxes for those on 100Mb+ speeds, however I know when signing up it asks is your local network 100Mb or 1000Mb so I assume if you select 1000Mb then they will supply a gigabit capable unit.

See here:
    https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=32803

Search for 100Mbps+

I suspect the 100Mb/1000Mb question was added since that comment was made so you should be Ok.

I am not sure of your F1000 boot loops questions. You do not need to modify your Eircom equipment. This unit connects to your internet connection. It acts like a bridge but basically just sits there and does nothing but perform checks when the traffic is quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They Give you a TP-LINK either 100mb/WirelessN 150mb or 1000mb/WirelessN 300 Being apart of it for Nearly 2yrs It Downloads/Uploads 3gb of Data month & Emails you a Report of Speed Latency etc.

Fibre is Launching Early October in my Area so bye bye 1.5mb Average Download according to SamKnows.

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Do you have to bridge it, if so unfortunately i wont be able to do that since F1000 boot loops :/

Doesn't have to be bridged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Got my box yesterday, got a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600. Nice little box, look forward to seeing some stats. :)
    Image: http://www.wifi-stock.com/images/TL-WDR3600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My package also arrived yesterday, will be setting it up tomorrow.

At present receiving 1mbps on a 24mbps ADSL line, with MAgnet three weeks to resolve....

Advertisement