Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Price 50% Increase

Options
  • 29-09-2011 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Tesco Value Sugar 1kg 85c to 129c
    Over a 50% increase
    Supervalue Own Brand sugar the same
    Aldi currently 95c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Sugar Jam

Tescos 2.39 per KG
    SuperValu 1.89 per Kg
    Dunnes 1.74 per Kg

Tesco's are taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

about 4 months ago, I said on boards that a major price increase in sugar was on the cards as the raw sugar price had soared on the commodity markets. At one stage the price of sugar in the shops was about the same as the price on the commodity markets.

You can be fairly certain Aldi's price will rise quite soon.

As sugar is held in vast quantities, these price increase can take months to come into affect on retail shelves. The same reason is why coffe has gone up.

The good news is commoditties have fallen back recently, so the price hike wonl't be around for ever

Actual figures
    May 2010 - sugar sold at 14c / lb (quantities of 112,000 lbs unrefined)
    January 2011 - sugar sold at 36c / lb
    June 2011 - sugar sold at 32c / lb
    Today, the price is back at 25c / lb.

We are currently seeing the affects of the November to June high prices. By January / Feb next, we'll see reductions close to recent price again.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

do you really think that if the sales are not majorly affected that the price will come down even if the commodity price changes. I would expect that for every 10C drop in commodity prices they will only give about 2c back to the customer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

maxer68 wrote: »
    about 4 months ago, I said on boards that a major price increase in sugar was on the cards as the raw sugar price had soared on the commodity markets. At one stage the price of sugar in the shops was about the same as the price on the commodity markets.

You can be fairly certain Aldi's price will rise quite soon.

As sugar is held in vast quantities, these price increase can take months to come into affect on retail shelves. The same reason is why coffe has gone up.

The good news is commoditties have fallen back recently, so the price hike wonl't be around for ever

Actual figures
    May 2010 - sugar sold at 14c / lb (quantities of 112,000 lbs unrefined)
    January 2011 - sugar sold at 36c / lb
    June 2011 - sugar sold at 32c / lb
    Today, the price is back at 25c / lb.

We are currently seeing the affects of the November to June high prices. By January / Feb next, we'll see reductions close to recent price again.

Don't kid yourself, once the price goes up that is it goodbye cheap sugar forever.

phester28 wrote: »
    do you really think that if the sales are not majorly affected that the price will come down even if the commodity price changes. I would expect that for every 10C drop in commodity prices they will only give about 2c back to the customer
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Don't kid yourself, once the price goes up that is it goodbye cheap sugar forever.

That's how commodity goods are priced.

If tesco keep the price high Dunnes or lidl or aldi will drop theirs - it has risen before and came way down. It was 75c / kg about 6months ago in Aldi and this was lowest price in years because the commodity price had collasped.

Orange Juice, Coffee, Sugar, Rice, Wheat, Corn & oil are some of the commodity products. Wheat prices went crazy about 3 years ago, brennan bread went to €2.25 in most supermarkets, wheat prices have come down, bread prices have come down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

maxer68 wrote: »
    That's how commodity goods are priced.

If tesco keep the price high Dunnes or lidl or aldi will drop theirs - it has risen before and came way down. It was 75c / kg about 6months ago in Aldi and this was lowest price in years because the commodity price had collasped.

Orange Juice, Coffee, Sugar, Rice, Wheat, Corn & oil are some of the commodity products. Wheat prices went crazy about 3 years ago, brennan bread went to €2.25 in most supermarkets, wheat prices have come down, bread prices have come down.

The commodity price may fall but the price to the consumer will not with the retailer pocketing the difference.

Stinicker wrote: »
    The commodity price may fall but the price to the consumer will not with the retailer pocketing the difference.

You may wish to think that, but reality and facts say otherwise.

Product related to commodity products rise and fall in tandem albeit at a time lag.

Petrol is your ideal example as the time lag is 12-14day and over 3 years pumps.ie have been charting the rises and falls in both oil price and pump prices and 12-14 days is the average time lag both upward and downward.

The same goes for sugar based items, wheat based items, coffee items etc etc. 2 years ago sugar was about €1.20 a kg, yet for the past year its been 80c - 85 c. Can you explain how it dropped so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

God be with the days ..............Does anyone remember Irish Siucra Eireann Teoranta , and indeed sugar was around the same price , in Irish Punts , and you are paying now in Euro's .

And in those days , the sugar beet was grown locally and processed in local beet factories - Carlow , Mallow , Thurles and Tuam .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

What was that news story about it a while ago? Some mistake on the EU?

TechnoKid wrote: »
    What was that news story about it a while ago? Some mistake on the EU?

That was saying that as prices have risen on the world market and as there's a shortage of production, that profitable sugar production without subsidy could return to Ireland.

I think they still have to wait til 2015, but it means that they could start planning new facilities as soon as next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I thought it was this thread, but it must have been someplace else, that I read that Gala sometimes sell granulated sugar for one euro. Due to gross navigational incompetence, I ended up in a Spar, instead... and guess what, same deal. Curious! Maybe it's the convenience store designated loss-leader, like beans and cheap veg are for the supers.

It's very confusingly priced on the shelf, though, saying that it costs one euro for 100g, which would be... steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe the price has come back down in the 5 years?

Ok, it's an old thread, touche! But seriously, aside from those two, every other store seems to be in the "sugar cartel", and the price is invariably 1.19/kg, for whatever their cheapest brand is...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Ok, it's an old thread, touche! But seriously, aside from those two, every other store seems to be in the "sugar cartel", and the price is invariably 1.19/kg, for whatever their cheapest brand is...

The cheapest sugar in tesco is 1kg caster sugar 1.09/kg. 500g of the same style/branding/"quality range" caster sugar is 89cent.

Tesco "everyday value sugar" is 1.19 per kilo.

Caster should cost more to produce, it is nearly always more expensive to get caster from the same brand. I was told tesco do this to price match other supermarkets. They have low stock of the caster sugar and pallets of the "value" one which I see people blindly put in trolleys as they presumably think its cheapest. Though some people do not realise caster sugar is simply a finer grind than granulated and do not think its suitable for tea etc.

Dealz is often the cheapest for sugar per kilo, but the bags can be well over a kilo.

1kg of gem sugar is 99c in mr price

rubadub wrote: »
    Caster should cost more to produce, it is nearly always more expensive to get caster from the same brand. I was told tesco do this to price match other supermarkets. They have low stock of the caster sugar and pallets of the "value" one which I see people blindly put in trolleys as they presumably think its cheapest.

Yes, that seems to be common thing generally, and it puzzled me too. Perhaps it's because caster is sold mainly as a baking ingredient, whereas as you say, the "need stuff to put in my tea" market is typically going to assume they need granulated. (I suppose it's actually bakers that are going to need both -- plus icing sugar, too -- unless they're planning on grinding or recrystalising their own for some purposes...)

Yes, that seems to be common thing generally, and it puzzled me too. Perhaps it's because caster is sold mainly as a baking ingredient
    The price matching thing makes most sense to me. And it could appear in independent shopping comparisons.

I used to brew beer & wine which uses lots of sugar so was always on the look out for the cheapest. Caster dissolves quicker so would be a good advantage, years ago I never once saw it cheaper than granulated.

In many tv shows I have seen them say to use caster and might comment on how it is "worth the extra", i.e. taking for granted that it costs more.

Icing sugar is powdered sugar but has some additives to keep it powdery, usually starch. I guess some think caster might be different too.

In tesco uk the cheapest caster sugar is silver spoon brand £2.45 for 2kg. Cheapest granulated is also silver spoon and 59p

rubadub wrote: »
    Icing sugar is powdered sugar but has some additives to keep it powdery, usually starch. I guess some think caster might be different too.
    Or calcium phosphate -- yum! I don't think there's any additional ingredients in caster, though. In either case you could "roll your own" if you were bloody-minded enough; the downside is just how fast it goes lumpy. (Liable to happen eventually even with granulated, though, as I recently discovered with the packs I had to throw out.)
    In tesco uk the cheapest caster sugar is silver spoon brand £2.45 for 2kg. Cheapest granulated is also silver spoon and 59p
    The pack size is a good point: if people start panic-buying caster sugar for "in tea" purposes, the manufacturers could always counter by changing the availability or prices of the smaller packs.

2kg was 1.50 in dealz yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ok, it's an old thread, touche! But seriously, aside from those two, every other store seems to be in the "sugar cartel"

058d1fb30ce0ebfbe6d720a86a698c18475d5b03f24bbe1c61741edc85198391.jpg

Advertisement