Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright Orange and Black beetle

Options
  • 29-09-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi There

Apologies if this is the wrong section but i just HAD to find out what the hell it was i saw this morning in my black rubbish bin outside my house (in Mayo). I had to dump a whole uncooked chicken at the start of the week as it was out of date and when i opened the bin this morning to put rubbish in i was greeted by this big black long (shaped kind of like that devils coachman type beetle) with bright orange markings type bug! It was approx 20mm in length and didnt look to have the solid type body like a conventional black beetle as in it was longer and more supple. I have never seen one of these before and i must admit it look 'scary!' anyone know what it is & how come i have never seen one of these before..

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Might it have been the same as in this thread

Though having digested the description of being similar to Devil's Coachman, this doesn't seem likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Perhaps you've overestimated the size or it's a particularly large lady bird larvae?

ladybird_larvae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Maybe it is something From the SILPHIDAE family of Carrion beetles?

Advertisement