Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S furniture £2,433 v €3,652 –tried collecting from NI?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I did try to search for this topic so apologies if it is repetitive…(& hopefully it’s in the right section)…

I decided to purchase 5 items of furniture from M&S after seeing it in their Dundrum store. However, when I looked for the items online last night, I found the total is £2,433 on their website but €3,652 in store, and of course they don’t ship here.

I have never experienced such a large discrepancy in UK/IRL prices and I am strongly considering purchasing in NI and collecting myself. However, I have my reservation because it is furniture and I don’t want to damage it with a mickey mouse diy effort. I am keen to know if anyone else has done this, if so, have you any words of advice/warning/encouragement from your experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I have never experienced such a large discrepancy in UK/IRL prices and I am strongly considering purchasing in NI and collecting myself.
    I'm surprised at M&S as most of their products are at 1.25 - 1.33 exchange, but you will see the same or worse discrepancies in Debenhams, Monsoon, Dune, River Island and many other UK multiples.

Next, Coast Oasis and Karen Millen are about 1.25 which is reasonable enough.

If you want value, try some indigenous Irish stores for similar furniture and do a little haggling.

Or even haggle with M&S yourself - they can easily take 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I've noticed M&S prices € v's £ getting wider.

Better to vote with your feet and not buy at all.

Wish these companies would get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ninnyhammer

Just when I thought I could play M&S at their own game, I find out these crafty feckers only allow home delivery for furniture…!
    “All clothing, beauty, homeware and selected technology can be collected in a participating UK store. Furniture, flowers, wine, gift cards and made to measure orders are available for home delivery only.” M&S website
    If the haggling doesn’t work, I’ll vote with my feet is right!

Just when I thought I could play M&S at their own game, I find out these crafty feckers only allow home delivery for furniture…!
    “All clothing, beauty, homeware and selected technology can be collected in a participating UK store. Furniture, flowers, wine, gift cards and made to measure orders are available for home delivery only.” M&S website
    If the haggling doesn’t work, I’ll vote with my feet is right!

I don't know if you're the man or woman in the home - but use the excuse "The Wife/Husband won't allow me pay that much for it as she saw it for £xxx on the website - what can you do for me"

They may offer 10% - you say she'd / he'd insist on 20% but if you go 15% you'll take it.

All it is for them is a button on the till - if they like you, they'll press it.

Approach - "Can I see a manager about some furniture I ordered" - To manager "I have a wee problem - hopefully you can help me sort it out and avoid a divorce situation at home" and then start the price haggling. A bit of humour is probably best. (It works for me when people are buying a few things from me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

doubt you'll get very far with haggling, it'd be like trying to haggle with Argos

• Advertisement

doubt you'll get very far with haggling, it'd be like trying to haggle with Argos

The beauty of m&s is they empower their managers and allow them do things other stores wouldn't allow. John Lewis is another store that gives managers leeway on customer discounts.
    Argos are a different story - they sell rubbish at over inflated prices and barely allow staff to fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For €600 difference you'd well get a person with a van to do the job right and collect the furniture in NI.

Advertisement