Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trekking Insurance Recommendations

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Could anyone please recommend an insurance policy that covers trekking (lower than 4000m). Particularly want something that will cover helicopter evacuation.

Have seen the BMC one online, €120 for two people, but I need to be a member of a walking/climbing club which I'm not.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loobylou wrote: »
    Have seen the BMC one online, €120 for two people, but I need to be a member of a walking/climbing club which I'm not.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    I'm fairly sure you can get BMC insurance if you're a member of Mountaineering Ireland which you can join on an individual basis without being a member of a walking or climbing club. There are members discounts available at various outdoor shops which will help allay the costs of membership if that's a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Thanks Alun, but it will cost €70 for us both to join, bringing the total cost to near €200 for insurance for a two week holiday:eek:
    I reckon there has to be cheaper options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Try the Austrian Alpine Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey, I used VHI multitrip when I went to Nepal last year. I had it already and didnt want another policy for just one trip so I rang them up and they said I was covered for trekking upto 6000m. I also had medical insurance with them.

If you go down this route give them a call first and make sure they still cover it and under what conditions.

Advertisement