Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching your Irish Licence.

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Something that wasnt mentioned upon the approval of the missuseses permanent residency.

If you are a visitor you cannot swap your Irish licence for 6 months to a NSW licence.

If you are declared a Perm Resident. You MUST swap it within 3 months.

Also your Provisional experience counts for nothing. If you attempt to swap your licence and you havent had three years on your Fulls you will automatically be downgraded to P Plates.

This means more insurance, no rental cars, higher excess in case of a claim.

Just letting you all know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Thats nothing new has always been the way it's been. You can sawp it because we have the same rules as Oz. Always had to have a full one n a few years of experince.

The learning is different here. You use L plates , P plates n R plates takes a few years to get ure full unrestriced licence here . So of course they're not going to give a licence to someone on an Irish Leaner.

The whole thing of swaping it over within 3 months isn't really a hassle either. All you have to do it fill out the form go to roads office n pay the money n you get your licence. You will need proof of residence like bank statement n TFN as long as it has your address on it.

Only took me a week to get mine . Plus you get to keep your own Irish one they don't take it like they do n Ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

Can someone correct me if this is wrong

Went into the license office last week to see if i could get a WA license and was informed under new laws that i must be a WA resident now to get a WA license?? (Also have a full valid Irish license)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

tipplad11 wrote: »
    Can someone correct me if this is wrong

Went into the license office last week to see if i could get a WA license and was informed under new laws that i must be a WA resident now to get a WA license?? (Also have a full valid Irish license)

thought that was always the case?..

The old rort was for truckies and the like to have a place in another state so that they had an address there and could get a licence in that state as well. If they lost one licence they were able to switch to the other one to continue working. Not sure the loop hole has been closed. Usually you would find 20 drivers all having the same address in the same one bed unit .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

Apparently if you had an irish license you could go into the license office...ask to get a WA license, fill in your relevent paperwork, they send off an email to the authorities in ireland to prove you have an irish license and get an email back and you come back in a few days to pick up your WA license.....now tho it seems you cant do this unless you are a WA resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

myhorse wrote: »
    thought that was always the case?..

The old rort was for truckies and the like to have a place in another state so that they had an address there and could get a licence in that state as well. If they lost one licence they were able to switch to the other one to continue working. Not sure the loop hole has been closed. Usually you would find 20 drivers all having the same address in the same one bed unit .......

One state cannot change the status of another states licence however.

A state can remove your right to drive in that state. So regardless of what licence you hold you cant drive in that state.

• Advertisement

Oh and here

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20393.asp

horses mouth so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

What proof are they asking for residency in WA? Is it just a residential address here or are they asking to see your visa status?

It would be your visa status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

How to apply for a Western Australian licence:

To apply for a Western Australian driver's licence you will need to personally attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.
    Please ensure you take the following documentation with you:
    current overseas driver’s licence;
    proof of identity - examples of accepted documents are provided in fact sheet below;
    proof of your WA residential address;
    one document that shows your signature; and
    the application fee (refer to schedule of fees below).

All it says in this is that you need proof of a WA residential address. If they required you to have a permanent residency they would say " a permanent resident of Australia".

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

hey all stupid question maybe?
    im going to nz next sept doing my test for full license on the 11th next month so i should have my full irish licence for 11 months before i go

when i go to nz i want to rent a campervan or buy .
    i will be able to drive wont i ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

jamiecoins wrote: »
    hey all stupid question maybe?
    im going to nz next sept doing my test for full license on the 11th next month so i should have my full irish licence for 11 months before i go

when i go to nz i want to rent a campervan or buy .
    i will be able to drive wont i ???

Yes. If you buy, the insurance company might require a local licence but for rentals Irish one is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You might want to check with the rental company about their policy for fully licensed drivers. They might penalise you for only holding a full licence for 11 months.

i dont needto have insurance do i >? its only a option i taught on a tigth budget allready lol thanks for all the help :~)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah Well, They finally fixed up all the loopholes in the licences :(

Well We gave the Swap an Irish provisional for a full Ausie licence a Good run whilst it lasted :D

Ah Well, They finally fixed up all the loopholes in the licences :(

Well We gave the Swap an Irish provisional for a full Ausie licence a Good run whilst it lasted :D

woul[FONT=times new roman,helvetica]d be still nice if ya coul[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,helvetica]d [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,helvetica]do it lol a provisional migth as well be only use[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,helvetica]d for wiping your nose with , ya think they woul[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,helvetica]d sort some inter country rules out for it[/FONT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Thats the thing tho, Back in the day I DID;)

and in fairness it was a fairly easy thing to do, I doubt I was the only one

Advertisement