Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy chain

• 29-09-2011 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

I changed my wheels, cassette and chain earlier this week. Shimano RS10 wheels, Shimano Tiagra HG50 11-25 cassette and SRAM PC951 9sp chain. The whole ensemble is very noisy.
    Where might I have gone wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Noise aside, I hope you're liking those wheels ;-)

The cassette should be very tightly fitted to the free hub. If it isn't then a spacer might be required. Other than that, make sure that your chain is lubed and play around with the tension in your rear gear cable. If your limiting screws are set right this could be the cause of noise in your largest and smallest cogs at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lemag wrote: »
    Noise aside, I hope you're liking those wheels ;-)

The cassette should be very tightly fitted to the free hub. If it isn't then a spacer might be required. Other than that, make sure that your chain is lubed and play around with the tension in your rear gear cable. If your limiting screws are set right this could be the cause of noise in your largest and smallest cogs at the back.

I'm liking them very much indeed. :) Took them for a good workout yesterday and they roll nicely.

I was thinking it may be the cassette which is the culprit. Will remove and refit when I get home to see if it does the trick.

RT66 wrote: »
    I'm liking them very much indeed. :) Took them for a good workout yesterday and they roll nicely.

I was thinking it may be the cassette which is the culprit. Will remove and refit when I get home to see if it does the trick.
    Glad you like them.

If there's no play with the cassette and it isn't a wonky fit then it's probably fine and there would be no need to remove it. I might just be the tension in the cable. If it is slightly too loose or too tight then this will effect each shift at the back and create noise. It may just need tweaking with the barrel adjuster.

Lemag wrote: »
    Glad you like them.

If there's no play with the cassette and it isn't a wonky fit then it's probably fine and there would be no need to remove it. I might just be the tension in the cable. If it is slightly too loose or too tight then this will effect each shift at the back and create noise. It may just need tweaking with the barrel adjuster.

It's not overly noisy while shifting, although there is a bit there. The noise is while the chain is moving. It doesn't inspire confidence in the standard of my work.. :eek:

It's not overly noisy while shifting, although there is a bit there. The noise is while the chain is moving. It doesn't inspire confidence in the standard of my work.. :eek:
    The noise would be there when the chain is seated in the cog. If the tension is too loose then the "inner wall" of the inner side of the links would be rubbing against the cog. If the tension is too tight then the "inner wall" of the outter side of the links would be rubbing against the cog. Make sense?

• Advertisement

Makes perfect sense now that you mention it. Will put it up on the stand for inspection later and see if it's out of whack.
    Thanks!

Makes perfect sense now that you mention it. Will put it up on the stand for inspection later and see if it's out of whack.
    Thanks!
    No worries. All part of the after sale service ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Maybe just double check youve fitted the chain correctly on the rear mech,make sure its running on the inside of the two plates and not on the outside of the little tab,i know it may seem hard to believe it could be done but ive seen it.

Holyboy wrote: »
    Maybe just double check youve fitted the chain correctly on the rear mech,make sure its running on the inside of the two plates and not on the outside of the little tab,i know it may seem hard to believe it could be done but ive seen it.

Hard to believe, eh? I've just checked and can confirm that I'm a numpty.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Hard to believe, eh? I've just checked and can confirm that I'm a numpty.. :o

Bet you're glad of that SRAM chain and its powerlink to let you take it off and reroute it easily now, eh?

I may have managed something similar in the past myself

• Advertisement

Holyboy, you should start charging for the advice you dispense ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I was 95% sure that was the problem but didnt want to make anyone feel stupid;)

Advertisement