Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunken beds

Options
  • 29-09-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever made a sunken bed? I bought 2 blueberry plants and reading up, unless you have the right soil you should plant them in large pots/a raised bed or a sunken bed. They need lots of water (rain water) so pots and a raised bed seem like high maintenance as they will be in an allotment.
    Sunken bed seems to be the way to go. It said to dig a hole 2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot and line it with plastic with some slashes in it. I assume you DO NOT line the bottom of the hole too, right?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd imagine you would need to line the bottom. Otherwise the roots would go out into the ordinary soil, and blueberry bushes need ericaceous compost. Also, if you let the roots go too far a lot of the plant's energy would go into them rather than into producing fruit.
    That's just my view though and I'm no expert.
    I've had an Aldi blueberry bush in a large plastic pot for the past 3 years and I get tons of fruit off it. I just give it tomato feed when it's blooming and fruiting. Plastic pots retain water better, if you use terracotta pots you should line them with plastic that has some slashes in it for drainage. Old compost sacks are perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Great, thanks for that. Good to hear the plants were a success.

Advertisement