Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twitter descriptions solely about motherhood

• 29-09-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I am shocked at the amount of twitter account description that are solely about motherhood, things like 'busy mother of two' or 'mummy to 3'. You were a whole person with interests before you had kids and surely you have other interests or facts about you now. Why would anyone define themselves just by the fact that they are a mother?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I find it a good warning for the inane rambling that will surely follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

Good point. It's just all a bit depressing to me that you would define yourself just by that to the twitter world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's probably because kids take over their whole lives and turn them into zombies, wiping out memories of a previous existence and any interest they had in anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's probably because kids take over their whole lives and turn them into zombies, wiping out memories of a previous existence and any interest they had in anything else.

"Mombies"
    Friend of a friend recently had a kid.
    Their facebook profile pic is now constantly just the kid.
    Every update is about the kid or, wait for it...from the perspective of the kid saying what it's going to wear that day etc. :eek:
    Even my extremely patient friend who adores kids is getting fed up. :pac:

Doesn't happen to all women, but the ones that do tend to go a bit nuts for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm certain they were tediously dull before they had kids and now they are tediously dull with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bronte wrote: »
    Doesn't happen Happens to all women

FYP. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

dulpit wrote: »
    FYP. :pac:

Ah, in fairness I know plenty of peeps that "remained themselves"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Perhaps they're just proud to be mothers? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

bronte wrote: »
    Every update is about the kid or, wait for it...from the perspective of the kid saying what it's going to wear that day etc. :eek:

Good lord. Kill it with fire!

Perhaps they're just proud to be mothers? :p

Nothing wrong with being a proud mother but couldn't it say something like 'Mam of 3, interested in gardening, politics and food' or whatever it is you fancy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

b743k wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a proud mother but couldn't it say something like 'Mam of 3, interested in gardening, politics and food' or whatever it is you fancy?

I totally get what you mean. This whole overly-proud-of-having-kids seem to be the in thing :pac:
    ... And believe me, it gets on my nerves too sometimes :)

Nothing wrong with being a proud mother but couldn't it say something like 'Mam of 3, was once interested in gardening, politics, food and a sh1tload of other stuff, but now I don't even know what day it is' or whatever it is you fancy?

fyp

I totally get what you mean. This whole overly-proud-of-having-kids seem to be the in thing :pac:

I've friends whose personalities I barely recognise since they had kids. I'm patient until the kids go to school as they really do take up your life but after that I have to leave.

You're right though, it is the in thing. Celebrity bump watch in magazines and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I am a mother and i find it annoying that some mothers never shut up about there kids. I also have a friend on facebook who writes poems to her babies or sends pics of her children sleeping with cheesy lines like
    " the best things in life are free" ahhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have a 3 month old and a 17 month old, both are a lot of work as well as great fun. They are totally dependent on my husband and I so of course my life is mainly about them, I would not be a good parent otherwise. Having said that I am starting to get a separate life from my children again.

I do get irritated when people only go on about their children on public sites, if nothing else their children will be able to look this up when they are older.

elaney wrote: »
    I am a mother and i find it annoying that some mothers never shut up about there kids. I also have a friend on facebook who writes poems to her babies or sends pics of her children sleeping with cheesy lines like

Free? Good one!

I agree, facebook is full of this.

I personally don't put up photos of kids. When they are old enough they can decide themselves if they want their image on the internet. It's the embarrassing baby album but for the world to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gah I hate these smug mother types! They are ridiculously dull! I've seen a few similar usernames on here actually, "mumto____" or something like that.

I've a few friends like that on Facebook. One of them posted up this status recently...
    To all the unselfish moms out there who traded eyeliner for dark circles, Salon haircuts for ponytails, Long showers for quick showers, Late nights for early mornings, Designer bags for diaper bags, and wouldn't change a thing. Lets see how many moms repost this.... Moms who don't care.........about.......whatever they gave up, instead LOVE what they get in return. Repost this if you LOVE your kids! ♥

Eh, f*ck off! I'm glad I don't have any snot-nosed scrotes to ruin my life thank you very much. That doesn't make me selfish! Plus, it's also offensive to mothers who DO take the time to put makeup on and do their hair in the mornings :pac:

Gah I hate these smug mother types! They are ridiculously dull! I've seen a few similar usernames on here actually, "mumto____" or something like that.

I've a few friends like that on Facebook. One of them posted up this status recently...

Eh, f*ck off! I'm glad I don't have any snot-nosed scrotes to ruin my life thank you very much. That doesn't make me selfish! Plus, it's also offensive to mothers who DO take the time to put makeup on and do their hair in the mornings :pac:

I saw that too and the friends who posted it got multiple likes and 'awwhh so cute'.

I really hate the notion that unless you've kids you're automatically selfish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

elaney wrote: »

Free apart from the 120 grand or whatever it was that they reckoned it now costs to rear a kid to age 18.

They're the ones left staring at the wall when the kids have left home, wondering where their lives went. They then take up insanity as a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Free apart from the 120 grand or whatever it was that they reckoned it now costs to rear a kid to age 18.
    It's a lot to pay for thirty seconds of pleasure :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

:D

One of my friends is the mother to two grown-up adults. She refers to them still as 'my babies' and loves saying 'oh, when you have children, nothing is too much for them. I would do anything if.......'

(I zone out then, sometimes before, depends what mood I'm in) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

I really HATE that **** on sites where people refer to them as "DD" and "DS". Usually the same knobs who refer to their husbands as "DH".

I'd happily blast them with piss, to use an overused internet phrase.

jimdeans wrote: »
    I really HATE that **** on sites where people refer to them as "DD" and "DS". Usually the same knobs who refer to their husbands as "DH".

I have no idea what DD, DS and DH means... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I am shocked at the amount of twitter account description that are solely about motherhood, things like 'busy mother of two' or 'mummy to 3'. You were a whole person with interests before you had kids and surely you have other interests or facts about you now. Why would anyone define themselves just by the fact that they are a mother?

It's proof they put out.

dulpit wrote: »
    I have no idea what DD, DS and DH means... :o

Darling Daughter, Darling Son and Darling Husband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gal pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

God, this drives me nuts! KNOBS is the only word to describe these people.

I'm not on twitter but I have a couple of friends with 'mommy' blogs, who use it to blither on about mommy things that the rest of us wouldn't have the capacity to understand (unless we too have spawned). Which is fine, but then then also arrange real world 'mommy' things for all the mommies where they have special 'mommy time' and 'mommy hugs' for everything. Mommy of GOD!!

I saw that too and the friends who posted it got multiple likes and 'awwhh so cute'.

Only by other mothers no doubt?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Usually the only time I post on facebook about my daughter is when I'm making fun of her "Mammy, look at that dog giving the other dog a piggy back" heh heh.

I do my hair and makeup, have a clean house, I have a job and a social life. I get more than 8 hours sleep a night and I go places without my kid. According to facebook that means I'm a terrible mother and I hate my child. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have a kid, I have pics of him on FB and so me statuses about him, but mostly just the usual ramblings most people go on with it!

I think parents who have nothing but their kids on sites is a pain in the ass "I am in love with a bald, incontinent man unable to feed himself" didn't go down well when I asked was he forcing her to sign a pre-nup! :D

I think it is concerning if you have nothing to talk about but your kids, I mean seriously, they are defining in many ways but not the only thing in your life. I love animals, crime dramas, books, walks, films, none of which are child based but tbh I see them as defining too!

Gal pal wrote: »
    Only by other mothers no doubt?!!

Surprisingly no, lots weren't mothers. I've a friend on Facebook who updates her status 2/3 a day about her 5 month old and adds his photos all the time too. Nobody cares about how cute his sneezes are!

This is a national disgrace.

Let's take all their children and send them into gas chambers. Then eat the children

That'll teach the no-good mommies from bleating about their little sh*ts.

Would that satisfy your judgement OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To quote Tuffy from the office....

"Do you think we care as much about your baby as you do? Just because you let some useless tosser blow his beans up your muff. "

This is a national disgrace.

Let's take all their children and send them into gas chambers. Then eat the children

That'll teach the no-good mommies from bleating about their little sh*ts.

Would that satisfy your judgement OP?

Where is that coming from?

I simply asked that question why don't people expand further than saying that they are a parent on their Twitter description?

• Advertisement

Surprisingly no, lots weren't mothers. I've a friend on Facebook who updates her status 2/3 a day about her 5 month old and adds his photos all the time too. Nobody cares about how cute his sneezes are!

Then they are been encouraged by childless folk!! So we only have ourselves to blame.

Gal pal wrote: »
    Then they are been encouraged by childless folk!! So we only have ourselves to blame.

Who do you blame for childless couples who dress their mutts in suits and allow them to sit at the dinner-table?:eek:

I bet there are quite a few of those nutters on Facebook as well.

Where is that coming from?

I simply asked that question why don't people expand further than saying that they are a parent on their Twitter description?

Why should they, if they don't want to? Do they answer to you? Who made you the thought police? Do they become criminal scum for not being more than a mammy or daddy?

I'm not a judge, but I hate people who judge over frivolous things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's Twitter. People say what's going on in their lives right at this moment. It's not meant to be an in depth biography of their entire lives.

I have a Twitter page but I have no information about myself on it and have never 'tweeted' anything. I guess that means I don't exist.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

as a newly knocked up person, I now like the fact also that around April or May, my hazard lights on the car will magically turn into "Park-any-where Lights". Footpaths, Gateways, Corners, Junctions, Disabled spots and Pedestrian Crossings are all free for me to abandon my car on, because I will be a Mother.:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Why should they, if they don't want to? Do they answer to you? Who made you the thought police? Do they become criminal scum for not being more than a mammy or daddy?

I'm not a judge, but I hate people who judge over frivolous things.

I was asking for an explanation to something that I did not understand. Where's the harm?

Darling Daughter, Darling Son and Darling Husband

Oh sweet jesus :(

Good point. It's just all a bit depressing to me that you would define yourself just by that to the twitter world.

This is pretty much where the hump comes from OP.

People are different than you in their values. Tough shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yup, that DD/S/H/P stuff is possibly the thing I like least about the internet. So forced too.

I know that people have different views and values and what is wrong with discussing that in order to debate or better understand different views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

[QUOTE=Deleted User;74659017]I'm not a judge, but I hate people who judge over frivolous things.[/QUOTE]

I do believe thats called judging.

Besides, if you can't b!tch about things on After Hours then where the hell else can it be done?? Certainly not in real life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

AFAIK those acronyms are banned from the Parenting forum on boards. Which is an epic win for everyone.

Also any parents who, like me, have one or more still in nappies, quite regularly get blasted with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see anything wrong with someone mentioning they're a parent in their Twitter biog - just depends how they do it. If they do it in a "I'm a parent and it makes me really special and important" way, bleh... but just stuff like "I'm a this, that, and father/mother of two great kids" or something, can't find a prob with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Not really a twitter person butI would describe myself as a housewife, don't need to say that I'm a mam of 2 because they are always with me:o But my freedom is in sight, youngest has just started playschool.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

A am guilty of it, check what I have written under my name!

• Advertisement
Advertisement