Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twitter descriptions solely about motherhood

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with someone mentioning they're a parent in their Twitter biog - just depends how they do it. If they do it in a "I'm a parent and it makes me really special and important" way, bleh... but just stuff like "I'm a this, that, and father/mother of two great kids" or something, can't find a prob with that.

I agree with you on this however its when the mammy or daddy (lets face
    it men can be as over the top as mammy) describe there kids every move or are convinced they have the next einstein/David beckham thats when it gets too much.

I had a friend who would not go to any social event until her child was one. She felt it would be psychologically damaging for the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with someone mentioning they're a parent in their Twitter biog - just depends how they do it. If they do it in a "I'm a parent and it makes me really special and important" way, bleh... but just stuff like "I'm a this, that, and father/mother of two great kids" or something, can't find a prob with that.

I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it either. I was just genuinely wondering why people put only that as if there was nothing else to say about themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

CathyMoran wrote: »
    A am guilty of it, check what I have written under my name!

No, I don't think so. You are defining yourself in your user name as being a person first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It annoys me yes. You had a kid? Great the world is overpopulated enough you selfish c**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

It annoys me yes. You had a kid? Great the world is overpopulated enough you selfish c**t.

As well as slightly annoying me, it puzzles me. I don't know why anyone thinks the world cares enough that they would put in their twitter,facebook,avatar,blog,<insert social media>.

When I have kids I will care a great deal about them. But I will never expect other people to care what hey had for dinner or that "he did SUCH a funny thing today.....".

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Ah they are just letting you know in advance that they have passed three melon sized heads out of a much smaller hole so there is no point copping on to them as the chances of them feeling much sensation from your wee sausage are neglible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

One day when you're a parent, you'll understand...

Actually not a parent! But doesn't that smug phrase annoy ou so much!

Funny how threads here change when schools finish.

This thread wasn't meant as another bashing parents thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Well after you have children your focus does shift quite significantly. Suddenly someone other than you is literally the most important thing in your life, and you would die for them. Some people take it too far sure but I don't think that's what's going on with the names. I'd hazard a guess that they just weren't that creative with names and seeing as their children actually are the most important thing in their lives it's just the first thing they think of. Doubt it's indicative of anything meaningful.

Your username here is numbers and letters. Is that meaningful in any way at all?

Edited to add that I don't talk about my own kids much and would never put their pics up online. I only know one or two women who constantly talk about their kids but it doesn't bother me really. I know it does get on a lot of people's nerves and it makes me wonder if they are equally annoyed if a political wonk they know gets going about their pet topic, or someone who's way into sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Maybe. JUST maybe. They're proud to be mothers, and would like to express that....nahhh, probably not.

My question wasn't why do they mention kids it but why don't they mention anything else about themselves as individuals? You're not a mother and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Apolloyon wrote: »
    One day when you're a parent, you'll understand...

Actually not a parent! But doesn't that smug phrase annoy ou so much!

"speaking as a parent" is usually an excuse to waffle off any old gibberish and claim its an opinion.

b743k wrote: »
    My question wasn't why do they mention kids it but why don't they mention anything else about themselves as individuals? You're not a mother and nothing else.
    I guess I just really don't understand the question. You're not a b743k and nothing else. Why should a screen name include descriptions of who you are as an individual? It's just a screen name.

I guess I just really don't understand the question. You're not a b743k and nothing else. Why should a screen name include descriptions of who you are as an individual? It's just a screen name.

I'm not talking about screen names. On twitter, under your name you get 160 characters to descibe yourself, your interest etc. etc. so that you know what they're about and you can decide to follow them or not but I've seen a few that use this space only to say that they are a mother rather than saying anything about themselves or their interests. I was just wondering why people choose to sum themselves up by 'mam'.

Ohhhhhh! I get it now. :o

That is a puzzler.

• Advertisement

Ohhhhhh! I get it now. :o

That is a puzzler.

I was just curious and assumed that After Hours was a place where you could ask questions. My mistake?

You may think that it's a stupid question, fair enough. I just wondered and asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So you got knocked up and spat a baby out your snatch. Big swinging mickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oops, that was meant to be my latest status update.

b743k wrote: »
    I was just curious and assumed that After Hours was a place where you could ask questions. My mistake?

You may think that it's a stupid question, fair enough. I just wondered and asked.
    I thought it was a strange question to ask about a twitter user name. I misunderstood the question, mea culpa.

No need to get all dramatic and defensive about it. I don't use twitter, and have no idea what people put in those description fields. Nor do I care. You can of course feel free to ask away, obviously it's a fascinating question and all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I don't think being defined by your children is a sign of love, devotion or being a good parent at all. If anything, I'd consider it an unhealthy dependency on feeling fulfilled from one aspect of your life.

Children need happy, well-adjusted parents who live and act as adults which means having independent adult interests and enjoyments in adult environments. No-one's life should ever be so small that it revolves around one thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

It's because BEING A MOTHER IS THE HARDEST JOB YOU WILL EVER DO!!!!!!!!

Non breeders like myself will never understand. Forever alone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

"To all the unselfish moms out there who traded eyeliner for dark circles, Salon haircuts for ponytails, Long showers for quick showers, Late nights for early mornings, Designer bags for diaper bags, and wouldn't change a thing. Lets see how many moms repost this.... Moms who don't care.........about.......whatever they gave up, instead LOVE what they get in return. Repost this if you LOVE your kids! ♥"

It's specifically this kind of hoo-ha that bugs me. I'm 31 and my friends are all starting to have kids...I come from the area with the highest child birth rate in Europe (North county Dublin...Slappersville of Europe, evidently ;)) so everyone I know my age has either had, is having or is thinking about having a kid. My Facebook is baby central and honestly, most of the time, I love and coo over the photos as I like babies and am genuinely happy for those I'm close to but it's the kind of crap above ^^^ that gets on my wick. The smug vibe some (not many) mothers give off on social network sites. When they go on and on and on and on about their kids in a cliched, twee, saccarine sweet, forced, Hallmark sentimental way that I have no patience for. Did you totally lose your sense of humour and the ability to laugh and poke fun at yourself while giving birth? *Vom-arama*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

elaney wrote: »
    I am a mother and i find it annoying that some mothers never shut up about there kids. I also have a friend on facebook who writes poems to her babies or sends pics of her children sleeping with cheesy lines like
    " the best things in life are free" ahhhhhh.
    she must be on the welfare so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

"just spat me forst wan out, free gaffe!!! Woop!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the old "speaking as a mother blah blah blah ..."

an unsubstantiated opinion which the speaker expects will trump any other opinions or facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

It's the old "speaking as a mother blah blah blah ..."

an unsubstantiated opinion which the speaker expects will trump any other opinions or facts.
    "Speaking as a mother, I will mostly speak baby-brained nonsense and attempt to pass it off as an infallible viewpoint over all sense or logic. And I think we should christen the child, just in case..."

Advertisement