Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok to contact chief super?

Options
  • 29-09-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

There was a similar thread to this recently but the scenario is slightly different. I'm currently waiting on feedback on a restricted firearms license application.

I've just moved into a new gaff recently and for some reason or another up until a few weeks ago there were problems getting post delivered for some reason. Lots of different things I was waiting on didn't arrive and had to be re-sent. This seems to be all sorted now since post seem to be coming through without issues but I'm worried I might have missed communication in regards to my license application.

I've been trying to reach my local FO for about two weeks but he seems a very busy man because I'm never able to catch him when he's in the office (not complaining about it, he's a very nice chap to deal with, just dificult to get hold of).

Question is: Since it's a restricted license application, should I even be contacting my FO or is it the CS I should be contacting?

Alternatively if it is the FO I should direct any queries to, since I cannot seem to get him on the phone, would it be advisible to just drop down a letter for his attention explaining why I'd like to check in on the current status of the application?

The application was handed in on the 4th of August, so it's not like I've been waiting more than the 3 months or anything but given that the first month and a half saw a lot of problems with post getting delivered, I just want to ensure I haven't missed anything.

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Its the Super's CP secretary you want to be contacting as they will have all the details, more so than the Super. 'Cos it all goes through them first, well after the FO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    Its the Super's CP secretary you want to be contacting as they will have all the details, more so than the Super. 'Cos it all goes through them first, well after the FO.

I agree, when I applied for permission to use moderators on my rifles it was the Supers secretary who was the best point of contact. Really helpful and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 on that. There's no harm in contacting the secretary to the Chief Super or the Super and briefly explain your circumstances. You'll quite likely be positively surprised in how helpful those folks can be if you approach them correctly. And also, it will give you a nice tick in the "decent chap" box which can help you no end with future applications and contacts.

By the way, acknowledge your local FO in this matter as well so he at least knows what it's about when someone from high up comes looking for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭insertclever

Cheers lads for the quick response, that's great.

Pardon my ignorance but what does CP in "CP Secretary" stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Question is: Since it's a restricted license application, should I even be contacting my FO or is it the CS I should be contacting?

Agree with otheres here. Definatly get in touch with the Super's secretary as the best point of contact after your local FO.

But as a restricted application, mine was just after the restricted licence was introduced. Main delay were with the county crime prevention officer, getting a day where I was free and he was in my part of the county etc. Then getting him back again as there was some issues he was not totally happy with. The super would not move on the application until he had a positive report from a visit from the CPO.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Agree with others here. Definatly get in touch with the Super's secretary as the best point of contact after your local FO.

But as a restricted application, mine was just after the restricted licence was introduced. Main delay was with the county crime prevention officer, getting a day where I was free and he was in my part of the county etc. Then getting him back again as there was some issues he was not totally happy with. The super would not move on the application until he had a positive report from a visit from the CPO.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cheers lads for the quick response, that's great.

Pardon my ignorance but what does CP in "CP Secretary" stand for?

Sorry should read "CS" as in Chief Superintendent. :o:o

323 wrote: »
    Agree with others here. Definatly get in touch with the Super's secretary as the best point of contact after your local FO.

But as a restricted application, mine was just after the restricted licence was introduced. Main delay was with the county crime prevention officer, getting a day where I was free and he was in my part of the county etc. Then getting him back again as there was some issues he was not totally happy with. The super would not move on the application until he had a positive report from a visit from the CPO.

Cheers for the suggestion 323, funny thing is though I haven't heard a peep from the CPO either. Mind you I did apply for a restricted cert shortly after the new licensing process was introduced and that was approved without any visit from the CPO.

clivej wrote: »
    Sorry should read "CS" as in Chief Superintendent. :o:o

Hehe no worries :)

I'll try to give the Secretary a buzz now so

Thanks lads!

Quick update, rang the district HQ and asked for the CS' secratary.

Nicest and most helpful lady I have had the pleasure of speaking with ever I think, be it license related or otherwise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

one thing i found with my dealingd with CS's is that you have to keep on the phone to them every few days. gently reminding them of whatever ur asking. and the stage's of ur application can be seen on any comp hooked up to the pulse system. so ur local FO can tell you if its being granted etc

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

A small point but it's the "Supers Clerk", you'd be surprised how upset middle aged men get about being called a secretary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

mcgarrett wrote: »
    A small point but it's the "Supers Clerk", you'd be surprised how upset middle aged men get about being called a secretary. :D

also is usally a sergent or inspector as they like to keep things in house when it comes to a CS

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

also is usally a sergent or inspector as they like to keep things in house when it comes to a CS

Chiefs Clerk is usually a Sgt, but a warning again! Don't call him Sgt because he thinks he's the Chief.

Advertisement