Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet kiosks in shop

Options
  • 29-09-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

hi people,
    was looking to install a few internet terminals in our shop and was wondering if any1 could recommend a provider,im already with one company but am not happy with the service.any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Can't give you advice on an operator but I read an article last week saying smartphone penetration is at 35% of the population and due to rise to 85% in the next 12 months.

That means that practically every granny will have the internet in their pocket over the next couple of years, whether they like it or not.

I'd be wary of signing up to long term contracts with your new operator due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

RATM wrote: »
    Can't give you advice on an operator but I read an article last week saying smartphone penetration is at 35% of the population and due to rise to 85% in the next 12 months.

That means that practically every granny will have the internet in their pocket over the next couple of years, whether they like it or not.

I'd be wary of signing up to long term contracts with your new operator due to this.

I was in heathrow a few weeks ago and had a bit of time to kill and went looking for an internet cafe...when i found it, it was actually empty...most likely due to prolifiration of smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'd be better off with a some couches and pay for wifi in my eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ironclaw wrote: »
    You'd be better off with a some couches and pay for wifi in my eyes.

Or couches and free wifi, then sell more coffee or whatever.

Won't pay for wifi myself unless I'm extremely desperate for a connection, but if it's free then I'll come in an buy whatever it is you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

howyanow wrote: »
    hi people,
    was looking to install a few internet terminals in our shop and was wondering if any1 could recommend a provider,im already with one company but am not happy with the service.any help appreciated.

Morning,
    What type of shop is it? You don't mention. How many internet users are you getting at the moment? Your existing footfall may not warrant a refurb.

The ongoing running costs for a good WiFi router(s) with free access would be a lot cheaper than financing new terminals. If you have a coffee counter offer the WiFi for free with every purchase.

I use free WiFi where ever I can, but the big prob I have is access speeds.
    Prevent non-customers hogging service by locking the access and have access codes on your till receipts. This will help maintain access speeds and prevent transient passersby who've not made a purchase. Change codes weekly or fortnightly. For your own benefit make sure the router/s can log their usage. You could use the stats to offer incentives to customers on quite / busy days.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement