Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1/2 acre of waste ground.

• 29-09-2011 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

I cut the last few bales on monday and had to leave about a half acre of ground uncut. My neighbour had decided to dump a load of nappies over the bounds into my paddock over a few weeks. I 'arranged' for them to pick them up and they got most of them but i decided not to cut a big section because i was afraid of nappies in the bales and being ate by the cattle.

Now if i graze this ground will the animals be at risk from blockages from nappies or from salmonella or whatever while they are grazing or should i just plough it down next spring.

What the hell do i do with it:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

a rather unpleasant and frustrating problem!!! had to pick a TV out of a field myself 2days ago that had been launched over the roadside ditch. it just so stupid!!! biggest problem in our area is the car window disposal bin! just too dam lazy to bring it to a wee centre where it can be dumped free.

depending on the extent of the problem I think I would graze it with an old cow or two over the winter. I would think they would reject them and graze around them and they could be picked out as it is being grazed... on the other hand they do seem to like silage plastic:confused:.
    Another option could be to spray the ground off and set it alight in a couple of months time and plough it down. anything remaining after being incinerated should be adequately decomposed and buried by the plough.

did you catch the buggers? If you did I would be telling them they have to come down daily while its grazed to remove any remaining or you're going to call the litter warden:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

49801 wrote: »
    did you catch the buggers? If you did I would be telling them they have to come down daily while its grazed to remove any remaining or you're going to call the litter warden:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Oh i know who did it:mad:. They are one of 2 houses bounding the paddock and the only one with a child in nappies. And they arrived around 1 in the morning with a flash lamp to pick up the worst of it after i mentioned at a school meeting about the green schools thingy that we should teach children by example and not be like a 'neighbour' who had nappies thrown into a field and had to call the litter warden to get it stopped:rolleyes:.

I cant graze it with sheep because they are chased around the field by a dog, obviously not theirs:rolleyes:, and the cattle arent happy there for the same reason. I might try one or two older cows there but am afraid of them aborting especially if they came back into the cubicles and then aborted.

Bugger it anyway. I was planning to keep the late calves in there over the christmas as it is well sheltered and near enough the yard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I know this won't help but it might make your neighbours more aware, use a banger.
    How are things working with the litter warden? AFAIK if it's inside a farmer's bounds, it's the farmer's problem, on the edge of a road, outside the bounds then it's the council's baby. Sorry about the pun:D.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

5live wrote: »
    Oh i know who did it:mad:. They are one of 2 houses bounding the paddock and the only one with a child in nappies. And they arrived around 1 in the morning with a flash lamp to pick up the worst of it after i mentioned at a school meeting about the green schools thingy that we should teach children by example and not be like a 'neighbour' who had nappies thrown into a field and had to call the litter warden to get it stopped:rolleyes:.

I cant graze it with sheep because they are chased around the field by a dog, obviously not theirs:rolleyes:, and the cattle arent happy there for the same reason. I might try one or two older cows there but am afraid of them aborting especially if they came back into the cubicles and then aborted.

Bugger it anyway. I was planning to keep the late calves in there over the christmas as it is well sheltered and near enough the yard

Put in a few sheep. Video the dog chasing them, show it to the owners. Say the next time he chases your sheep, he'll be shot. You can't have ewes or cows aborting.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I know this won't help but it might make your neighbours more aware, use a banger.
    How are things working with the litter warden? AFAIK if it's inside a farmer's bounds, it's the farmer's problem, on the edge of a road, outside the bounds then it's the council's baby. Sorry about the pun:D.
    No problem. If i didnt laugh i'd cry. I didnt call the litter warden. I just used a bit of social pressure to get them to worried so they came out in the middle of the night to pick up the worst of the problem. Whats annoying is they wouldnt dump then in their own cottage acre because they use that for veg but sure i dont use that paddock for anything important:mad:

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    Put in a few sheep. Video the dog chasing them, show it to the owners. Say the next time he chases your sheep, he'll be shot. You can't have ewes or cows aborting.
    Thanks. My ewes are in lamb now though and its only at night the little bugger comes out. I have had a few talks over the years about it and they kept the dog in. But when they leave him out at night before putting him in.... I may have to get rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭9935452

cjpm wrote: »

Father had a similar problem with a dog chasing his cattle. No video required. Politely said to neighbours if a dog was found in the field chasing cattle it would be shot on sight. He turns up every now and again holding a shot gun. Problem gone. That said he would have no problem with shooting the dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Its hard justice for anyone to have to shoot a dog but i had an unpleasant evening chasing 3 neighbours dogs round mine and other neighbours fields,this was after my good angus cow aborted on the spot more or less, and my neighbour lost a couple of lambs, i wasnt very popular for a while after i shot the 3 dogs but eventually they realised that farmers are on a knife edge with silly problems like dogs and nappies that can upset the whole farming system !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Its hard justice for anyone to have to shoot a dog but i had an unpleasant evening chasing 3 neighbours dogs round mine and other neighbours fields,this was after my good angus cow aborted on the spot more or less, and my neighbour lost a couple of lambs, i wasnt very popular for a while after i shot the 3 dogs but eventually they realised that farmers are on a knife edge with silly problems like dogs and nappies that can upset the whole farming system !!!!!!!!

People well know that dogs chasing cattle or sheep can be shot without warning. They will let the dogs out anyway sometimes knowing full well what is going on. I've no sympathy for them.
    As for the nappies debacle, people are dirty creatures when they think nobody will find out. You would walk the half acre a few times and gather anything dangerous to animals in an hour or two. I know it's not a problem you caused but you'd need to be fairly sure there is nothing there before letting stock out. You probably have a load of things to get done but it would be time well spent as it could save an animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

. My neighbour had decided to dump a load of nappies over the bounds into my paddock over a few weeks.it:confused:

Theres no excuse for that kind of thing:mad: - I would have a "chat" with this dirtbag and tell him that you've installed hidden cameras around your land so that the next time he pulls a stunt like that, you'll nail him with the law!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

you should feed the nappies to their dog , kill two birds with the one stone so to speak !:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

moy83 wrote: »
    you should feed the nappies to their dog , kill two birds with the one stone so to speak !:D:D:D

Its the dumbass owner who should get a mouthfull of his own filth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Red Sheds

Tell your so called neighbour in no uncertain terms what to do with his rubbish, keep it to himself and dispose of it properly, it is creating bith an animal and human health hazard and is an environmental hazard. If you have to pick up any of it, put it straight back across the fence into his garden.

Shoot the dog, dont give any notice to them the next time he is in, you are entitled to protect your livestock from nusiances and then throw it back across the fence.

I can understand how its so maddening for you to effectively loose some of your production assets from the studip and igorant behavour of a neighbour. These people dont understand that farming is a business. What would be the outrage from the general public if for example a floor section of your local supermarket had to be closed off because some idiot kept dumping his Sh*** in it, people wouldnt have it. Its the same principle.

Just to make you feel better go down next spring at 1.00 in the morning and sneak into his garden and spray all his vegetable patch with diesel, thatI'll sort his garden for a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

I cut the last few bales on monday and had to leave about a half acre of ground uncut. My neighbour had decided to dump a load of nappies over the bounds into my paddock over a few weeks. I 'arranged' for them to pick them up and they got most of them but i decided not to cut a big section because i was afraid of nappies in the bales and being ate by the cattle.

Now if i graze this ground will the animals be at risk from blockages from nappies or from salmonella or whatever while they are grazing or should i just plough it down next spring.

What the hell do i do with it:confused:

You could spray it off now and again in a month. You might be better able to see if there is anything there when you have time during the winter. Alternatively, you could offer it to a local small farmer for nothing, but at his expense for cutting and baling, if he is willing to take the chance on one of his animals suffering a blockage.

bbam wrote: »
    People well know that dogs chasing cattle or sheep can be shot without warning. They will let the dogs out anyway sometimes knowing full well what is going on. I've no sympathy for them.
    As for the nappies debacle, people are dirty creatures when they think nobody will find out. You would walk the half acre a few times and gather anything dangerous to animals in an hour or two. I know it's not a problem you caused but you'd need to be fairly sure there is nothing there before letting stock out. You probably have a load of things to get done but it would be time well spent as it could save an animal.

I did that before cutting but the paddock was closed a while and the grass is strong.

Thanks for the input. I think i will let a few dry cows in there and strip graze it so i can try to take out any nappies left under the grass, hopefully before they eat them:(

I wonder where i will dispose of them after though. It is better to give than to recieve though:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A friend of mine had a litter problem like the OP, he tracked the offender, gathered up all rubbish and as he says luckily their living room window was open and he tossed the lot into the living room.

Advertisement