Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable scrap collector, Ballina area

Options
  • 29-09-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone to pick up scrap in the Ballina area? What kind of charges would I expect to have it removed? It's not an awful lot, just loose car parts, 200kg tops.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi
    I got the guys who do the waste collection to come for the garbage I had left over when building the house. There was a couple of ton but he reversed up and we fired it into the back of the garbage truck. He could tell me how much went on and the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

We don't have a rubbish pick -up at the house, I'd normally bring the stuff to the dump myself but this stuff is pretty oily and heavy, don't want it in the car!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We didn't either but I rang them and asked him to do it. Saved a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Just get a skip from Loftus recycling......I think there is a flat charge depending on the size/amount of waste/scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Plenty of non-reputable scrap collectors in Ballina, might be cheaper......

• Advertisement

There's plenty of certain types asking if I've "any scrap, boss" but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them around the house. (assuming this is what you're referring to, YouTookMyName)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

That i am, was tongue in cheek though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

There's plenty of certain types asking if I've "any scrap, boss" but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them around the house. (assuming this is what you're referring to, YouTookMyName)

there is a football club just up the road from you collecting scrap metal as part of a fundraising drive
    would be fairly confident that they would come and collect from you
    and it goes for a good cause

Do you have any more details, which club?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

i know lahardane and ardnaree were both doing it a few weeks ago

• Advertisement

I spotted something about Ballinrobe but thats way out of your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I hate to say it but it is illegal for anyone other than a licensed refuse collector to collect scrap even if it's for charity.

There was a big piece about it on Midwest radio some time ago and the council spokesperson specifically mentioned clubs!.

With the way metal has gone up in value I would have thought that someone would take it for free at least. Try ringing scrap car dealers listed in Golden Pages.

Advertisement