Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 Beta available on XBLM now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Edit: Add me "Derm" .. Looking for some players to team with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Rang home and got one of the kids to download it. I had a couple of games this evening before going out and it looks beautiful, when a player shines a torch in your eyes to get blinded, same with the lazer sights. On the glitch side every now and again I couldnt zoom in with the weapons. But the game is smooth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Graphics are quite poor. A lot Worse than BC2 I'd say. The ivy on those walls. I kept expecting them to load but apparently they had. Of course half the problem is that I've been watching the pc game play. Bring on the next gen consoles. As for the all important gameplay I can't owing to the five minutes of connection to the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Online Play down on the 360 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've downloaded it for both PC and XBOX , PC was great fun ...jumping on XBOX in 15 min if anyones up for a game...
    Galwaydave is my GT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

All I'm getting is 'The is connection with ea online lost' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

its not down,just look for a game again.
    happened to me a few times.
    also,when your in a game sometimes you get kicked from it.
    you have to dashboard it,and reload it.
    then you will get back into a game:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

any time i've tried to play i havent been able to connect to EA online either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Graphics are quite poor. A lot Worse than BC2 I'd say. The ivy on those walls. I kept expecting them to load but apparently they had. Of course half the problem is that I've been watching the pc game play. Bring on the next gen consoles. As for the all important gameplay I can't owing to the five minutes of connection to the servers.

I thought the graphics was pretty decent, But then again I wasn't inspecting no ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

the graphics are so piss porr it made me have a period and im not even a woman(yet)

Seriously though, if you've played gears of war 3 and you can see whats possible with the right level of skill on a designers behalf, you'd think this game was made by students. Its ****ing woeful bad, character movement looks shocking, its glitchy, clicky very very blocky around the edges of....ehhhh...everything. Its a horrible game from a mouthy company who deserve to flop on this one. Call of Duty may actually be the white knight here, a polished engine they know and we love, a new balanced competitive edge with cod elite and no silly trash talk from the developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Just a few things about the beta I thought I would share since it's my first time playing ANY battlefield game ever!

However I did play MOH multiplayer and it is kind of similar!

We all know it is a little glitchy and that most problems will be fixed before it comes out but also think the beta is very limited-1 map and 1 gamemode?! Anyways here are just a few things:

1.Sound is excellent overall. Not many faults but one thing though is that everything seems a little too quiter compared to your weapon firing such as footsteps etc.

2. Thought the graphics would be a bit better to be honest, seems choppy and is hard sometimes to make out enemy players. I suppose it was optimised for a pc, doesn't feel like we are getting the full benefit of the Frostbite engine here.(Limited by the xbox no doubt!)

3.Did anyone think the hit detection was a little off even for core? Definitely easy to kill someone though on dedicated servers as oppose to depending on a host!

4. Like the set classes, will there be a way to pick what weapons you want for what class when it comes out? Liked the kickback on the weapons too.

5.Don't like the knifing but is cool when you pull it off! Prone/b button thing is annoying....anyway to remap buttons??

6. It runs quite fast, thought it would be a lot slower but still a little slow for me.

7. Is it just me or do you always seem to spawn on the same area? It's seems very linear when you have to disarm the bomb, I just flanked and picked them off quite easily which I thought was kinda strange!

8. Love the animations like jumping over walls, going prone etc. Grenade throwing isn't great though and you can't cook the grenade?!(Also, never knew you always fell to the right when shot ha )

9.I probably never play with randomers, just hated it and didn't enjoy the game. Enjoyed a few with IRL clan today though.

10.Sending invites/organising lobbies doesn't seem to be there readily available.

Overall 6.5-7/10. It has been hyped so much and I thought it was nothing absolutely amazing but still good and enjoyed majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

the graphics are so piss porr it made me have a period and im not even a woman(yet)

LMAO :pac::pac::pac: Agreed about the graphics wasn't expecting this bad at all. I thought they are using new engine? The graphics is just the same as bad company 2 to me, plus loads of visual pop-ins. The beta is even worst on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just a few things about the beta I thought I would share since it's my first time playing ANY battlefield game ever!

However I did play MOH multiplayer and it is kind of similar!

We all know it is a little glitchy and that most problems will be fixed before it comes out but also think the beta is very limited-1 map and 1 gamemode?! Anyways here are just a few things:

1.Sound is excellent overall. Not many faults but one thing though is that everything seems a little too quiter compared to your weapon firing such as footsteps etc.

2. Thought the graphics would be a bit better to be honest, seems choppy and is hard sometimes to make out enemy players. I suppose it was optimised for a pc, doesn't feel like we are getting the full benefit of the Frostbite engine here.(Limited by the xbox no doubt!)

3.Did anyone think the hit detection was a little off even for core? Definitely easy to kill someone though on dedicated servers as oppose to depending on a host!

4. Like the set classes, will there be a way to pick what weapons you want for what class when it comes out? Liked the kickback on the weapons too.

5.Don't like the knifing but is cool when you pull it off! Prone/b button thing is annoying....anyway to remap buttons??

6. It runs quite fast, thought it would be a lot slower but still a little slow for me.

7. Is it just me or do you always seem to spawn on the same area? It's seems very linear when you have to disarm the bomb, I just flanked and picked them off quite easily which I thought was kinda strange!

8. Love the animations like jumping over walls, going prone etc. Grenade throwing isn't great though and you can't cook the grenade?!(Also, never knew you always fell to the right when shot ha )

9.I probably never play with randomers, just hated it and didn't enjoy the game. Enjoyed a few with IRL clan today though.

10.Sending invites/organising lobbies doesn't seem to be there readily available.

Overall 6.5-7/10. It has been hyped so much and I thought it was nothing absolutely amazing but still good and enjoyed majority of it.

Couldn't get to play it myself on 360 (is this an alpha?) but your mini review summed it up nicely, it's what I was half expecting but I half believed the hype:(

I'll give it a whirl myself whenever it works but by the sounds of it COD will be better fun on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

This is a Beta folks so I presume they've toned down the Graphics and are just testing the NET code. Couldn't get into a game last night on the XBOX but on the PC there were no Graphics options to tinker with so I'm thinking most of the Graphical effects were missing.
    Had a great time on the PC though .
    Level was very cool , especially the urban area after the Subway. I'll be picking this up on the PC and XBOX I think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

the textures have been downrezzed to keep the download size small, its also limited to less than HD, so they actual game will look a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Played it for a few hours last night. Pretty good. I'm liking the fact that you can go prone and that you can switch guns to semi auto.

There's just something about it though, I don't like the maps as much as BC2 and I don't feel like it flows as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

al28283 wrote: »
    the textures have been downrezzed to keep the download size small, its also limited to less than HD, so they actual game will look a lot better

Graphics arent that bad, i dont find anything wrong with it at all. I dont see whats everyone complaining about. They are just as good as other games.

I tried it on the PC and graphics are alot better. Everything is more clear and crisp.

But damn my Graphics Card couldnt handle it for long :(

My xbox 360S was hot enough last night after a good few hours of gameplay. If they improve the graphics it might fry the thing.

Graphics arent that bad, i dont find anything wrong with it at all. I dont see whats everyone complaining about. They are just as good as other games.

I tried it on the PC and graphics are alot better. Everything is more clear and crisp.

My xbox 360S was hot enough last night after a good few hours of gameplay. If they improve the graphics it might fry the thing.

well then you clearly have no eye for graphic details. the beta graphics are severely lacking when compared to most other next gen games, like i said earlier, this is to keep the download size manageable. Its not even HD.
    The retail version will be far better

yeah but there was a big hubub about halo 3 not being true HD (720p) either, it runs at 640p but that was because they lowered the res a bit so they could tweak fancy effects like the lighting using 2 buffers and in the end it looked brilliant anyway. COD:MW2 runs at around the same.
    So if it isnt "HD" but the lighting\textures\etc are better in the release version then so what. it just is a sour note on the Beta if they have been toned down. An official statement would be nice.

also if its just to keep the dl size managable then why is the pc version 3.3gb and the xbox version 1.3gb? do they not care about pc users download limits?

I think this isnt the final version of the 360 gfx. Given how late it took them to relase a game play video of the 360 version make me think they are still working away (struggling) at a final version.

Scruff wrote: »
    yeah but there was a big hubub about halo 3 not being true HD (720p) either, it runs at 640p but that was because they lowered the res a bit so they could tweak fancy effects like the lighting using 2 buffers and in the end it looked brilliant anyway. COD:MW2 runs at around the same.
    So if it isnt "HD" but the lighting\textures\etc are better in the release version then so what. it just is a sour note on the Beta if they have been toned down. An official statement would be nice.

also if its just to keep the dl size managable then why is the pc version 3.3gb and the xbox version 1.3gb? do they not care about pc users download limits?

I think this isnt the final version of the 360 gfx. Given how late it took them to relase a game play video of the 360 version make me think they are still working away (struggling) at a final version.

The retail version is HD. the beta is not, and the textures are low res, also the beta version is the game as it was in July

• Advertisement

also, HD is 1080 not 720

The retail version is HD. the beta is not, and the textures are low res, also the beta version is the game as it was in July
    also, HD is 1080 not 720

:rolleyes:
    i can guarantee you the retail version will not be 1080p. If you dont belive me go google the resolutions of any modern 3d game on the xbox 360.

Scruff wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    i can guarantee you the retail version will not be 1080p. If you dont belive me go google the resolutions of any modern 3d game on the xbox 360.

I just did and found a bunch

good for you, we'll have to agree to disagree so until the full version is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I was wondering why I couldn't connect. Had to download it on the PS3 to play it.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I was wondering why I couldn't connect. Had to download it on the PS3 to play it.
    people complaining in the main battlefield forum that they cant connect with that version either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Battlefield 3 will run in 720p, 30fps on consoles.
    No proper first person shooters on consoles ever run any higher than 720p.
    Infact many run at 640p.
    They can then be upscaled if your console is set at 1080p.
    Anyhow I won't be able to access this beta for another week as I'm a silver member at the moment and have a few 48 hour xbox gold trials but I've heard that those 48 hour trials don't allow you to download the gold exclusives which is what this is.
    From what I've been reading it doesn't sound like I'm missing much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

also, HD is 1080 not 720

wrong.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Go play gears of war 3. ;) Even Crysis on console is better looking than this.

The beta is really buggy as hell. I don't know on the xbox if you guys are experiencing ground glitch, on PS3 everytime you fecking crawl you'll fall outside the map. Loads of freezing issues too. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7578143.page

A good discussion thread on the EA forums about the BETA and its faults.

Advertisement