Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing courses Ennis/Shannon.

• 29-09-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm hoping to do journalism in college next year and was wondering if anyone knew where I might do an introduction to writing or creative writing or something of that nature, just something to see if I take to it as more than just a hobby. I blog and have been told by quite a few people (including one friend who has had work published) that I should pursue writing as a career but I've nothing done by way of training.

Any ideas of courses I could do. I remember seeing one in the Champion advertised for evenings in Flannan's last year but haven't seen anything since. FAS don't even do anything remotely connected to it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I believe that Ennis Business College were offering a course at one stage. This place isn't it Ennis or Shannon but it might be worth looking into - http://www.killaloe.ie/khs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Am pretty sure I spotted that St Flannan's is starting a creative writing/short story evening course in early October. It would have been advertised in Champion of 16 September (which I don't have to hand) and you'd need to follow it up quickly because registration/payment for courses there are due into Flannan's by by post by tomorrow Friday, 30 September.

Who knows what the coming years will bring but, at the moment, there are oodles of out-of-work journalists, internationally, nationally and in our own regional press, who are turning to all kinds of alternative careers in order to keep the wolf from the door.

The best way to approach journalism in advance of your college course is to write, write, write and submit to all and sundry. They will be delighted to receive articles, especially if you are happy to let them have them for little pay or for free! It will help you build up your portfolio. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

CLARE WRITING GROUPS

Ennis Writers Group

Meets on Mondays, Springfield House, Harmony Row, Ennis Co. Clare at 8.30p.m.
    from: http://creativewriting.ie/writers-resources/co-carlow-writing-groups/
    Don't know if this is up to date, though. Didn't find a date or even a year.

Or you could do a course at the open university:
    http://www.nightcourses.com/search.html?op=showcourse&row_id=1027869&coll=Open-University-in-Ireland,-The&id=2742

Or ask the library. They used to do workshops, but don't know if they still do. But they should know if anything is available.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Claregirl5

Hi!

St Flannan's Winter Schedule of Night Classes includes a Creative Writing course - with an emphasis on Short Story.

The course will start on Wednesday, October 5th and bookings are accepted until tomorrow Friday. You can also phone or text 085 1670326 for further info.

The full list of their Night Classes is on www.clarefocus.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Claregirl5 wrote: »
    Hi!

St Flannan's Winter Schedule of Night Classes includes a Creative Writing course - with an emphasis on Short Story.

The course will start on Wednesday, October 5th and bookings are accepted until tomorrow Friday. You can also phone or text 085 1670326 for further info.

The full list of their Night Classes is on www.clarefocus.ie
    Thank you I'll get on this straight away. Exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Balagan wrote: »
    The best way to approach journalism in advance of your college course is to write, write, write and submit to all and sundry. They will be delighted to receive articles, especially if you are happy to let them have them for little pay or for free! It will help you build up your portfolio. Best of luck!
    Couldn't agree more. Thank you so much. By the way I can see Flannans from my front window and am a past student so hopefully I can hand deliver the application.

By the by. The wolf got in the door and is sitting at the end of my bed so I figure I have nothing to lose to at least follow my passion!

Guys you all gave me fantastic feedback. I'm so grateful you'll never know!!!

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I believe that Ennis Business College were offering a course at one stage. This place isn't it Ennis or Shannon but it might be worth looking into - http://www.killaloe.ie/khs/
    That is such a great link, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

MyKeyG wrote: »
    That is such a great link, thank you!
    You're very welcome! Good luck with your studies, Mrs D :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuckoocloc

Hi , i believe that a writers group meets in the rowantree restaurant in Ennis every week you could probably enquire through restaurant. Goodluck.:)

• Advertisement

cuckoocloc wrote: »
    Hi , i believe that a writers group meets in the rowantree restaurant in Ennis every week you could probably enquire through restaurant. Goodluck.:)
    So I hear. The St Flannans thing fell through and the course director recommended the Rowan Tree so that's my next step. Thank you!

Advertisement