Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

would you try crystal meth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Fremen wrote: »
    If you've got some evidence that that would reduce meth consumption, I'd love to see it.

It's just a matter of supply and demand. Whenever there is demand, there will be supply. Best way to stop people using crystal meth is to allow them access to a less dangerous substitute.

No I have no evidence, but I do think sentencing here should be harsher, which might deter some people from getting involved, and those that are involved who are caught will also be out of society for a longer period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dudess wrote: »
    Nope. I'm not anti drugs, but asking me whether I'd use it is like asking me whether I'd smoke crack or use heroin. I just wouldn't - the horror stories aren't scare-mongering, they're a reality.
    The horror stories about alcohol also aren't scare-mongering, but people still drink huge amounts. Difference is you probably do not know any heroin users, or ones who would admit it, so you do not hear any good time stories about them.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen a TV documentary about "functional heroin addicts" many are doctors who can get a pure supply and were working fine with no problem, like functional alcohol & nicotine addicts.

Of course there will be people who take it to extremes. In another thread I said many people have the illogical/irrational opinion that anybody taking any drug other than alcohol/nicotine/caffeine is a degenerate junkie who could not do anything but abuse it to extreme levels.

Many will just see a junkie, think "oh he must be on smack" and then think thats what every heroin user is like, or that everybody on E is a gurner sweating lunatic -while the business man at the bus stop each morning could be a heroin addict, or alcoholic. Many people will keep their illegal drug use private, due to its illegality.

If all recreational drugs were illegal drinkers would be portrayed in the same light as junkies and winos. And people would laugh at the idea of an "alcohol user" being able to enjoy a glass of wine with his dinner, because the media would portray all alcohol users as degenerate, incapable, outcast, alcoholic scumbags who could never display any restraint in their drug use.

The overindulgent wino's body will be ravaged from the drug, doesn't mean all alcoholics would be.

I think its odd that so many people who live in utter fear of other drugs will still heavily drink alcohol when you see the amount of warning there is, its really puzzling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15114325
    1 October 2011
    What damage does alcohol do to our bodies?

The link between alcohol and cancer is well established, says Cancer Research UK. A study published in the BMJ this year estimated that alcohol consumption causes at least 13,000 cancer cases in the UK each year - about 9,000 cases in men and 4,000 in women.

Last year, a study in The Lancet concluded that alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

True. Any of the substances I cited, once used in a controlled way, might not do damage - but I still personally wouldn't try them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Crystal meth is just a horrible drug that will fcuk you up.

Heroin is an amazing drug that does absolutely no damage to your system at all. Sharing infected needles might result in the contraction of hepatitis or AIDS but the drug itself is clean, pure, brilliant...best drug known to man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Ive tried a lot but meth, crack or heroin-not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's at the top of my "Do Not Eat" list, ahead of crack and heroin respectively and only a little behind polonium 210 and Oreos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Fat stacks yo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The horror stories about alcohol also aren't scare-mongering, but people still drink huge amounts. Difference is you probably do not know any heroin users, or ones who would admit it, so you do not hear any good time stories about them.

I still get the impression that a lot of the harm done by heroin is down to how socially (and legally obviously) unacceptable it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    No I have no evidence, but I do think sentencing here should be harsher, which might deter some people from getting involved, and those that are involved who are caught will also be out of society for a longer period.

It wouldn't, look at the example of the United States which has some of the harshest drug laws in the world and has seen drug consumption consistently rise since the War on Drugs began.
    ebixa82 wrote: »

Heroin is an amazing drug that does absolutely no damage to your system at all. Sharing infected needles might result in the contraction of hepatitis or AIDS but the drug itself is clean, pure, brilliant...best drug known to man.

Heroin causes no damage to your system whatsoever??? Are you serious? I I'm pro drug legalisation myself but peddling these sort of lies doesn't help anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

amacachi wrote: »
    I still get the impression that a lot of the harm done by heroin is down to how socially (and legally obviously) unacceptable it is.

I disagree. In Afghanistan, where opium and heroin use is very common and socially acceptable, 15-20% of the population are heroin addicts. Even with social acceptance it appears to be a very addictive and destructive drug. If you want to go back further into history have a look at the effects of the Opium Wars on the Chinese population. Opium and heroin don't have a great track record even pre-prohibition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    I do think sentencing here should be harsher, which might deter some people from getting involved, and those that are involved who are caught will also be out of society for a longer period.

Yeah, bury them.
    Bangkok Hilton all the way yo!

Dark ages thinking TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

It wouldn't, look at the example of the United States which has some of the harshest drug laws in the world and has seen drug consumption consistently rise since the War on Drugs began.

Heroin causes no damage to your system whatsoever??? Are you serious? I I'm pro drug legalisation myself but peddling these sort of lies doesn't help anyone.

well sorry but clinical produced heroin taken in controlled doses will not affect your body one bit - totally harmless - in moderation

a person could use said heroin everyday and have very little or no ill affects

its the **** that they cut it with - the life style that they lead and the people they hang with that cause ill health and other issues that go with it

but we are assuming that a junkie could get this clinical grade heroin every day and not have to commit crime to obtain it - not be living on the street and not share needles

but 2 be pedantic, heroin of such quality and taken if certain doses WILL NOT HARM YOU - its just everything else that goes with street deals ( usually kept up some skangers arse ) will kill ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

100% serious my friend. Unless you would like to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

After watching breaking bad - and starting my own meth lab - I seriously hope there is an upswing in demand in Ireland.

Here.. have a free sample

I disagree. In Afghanistan, where opium and heroin use is very common and socially acceptable, 15-20% of the population are heroin addicts. Even with social acceptance it appears to be a very addictive and destructive drug. If you want to go back further into history have a look at the effects of the Opium Wars on the Chinese population. Opium and heroin don't have a great track record even pre-prohibition.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never suggest it was fully down to what I said but there's a lot of people who as long as they can keep their addiction out of sight can lead pretty functional lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ill try any drug once as long as there aint a needle involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I would never try it and I've absolutely no reason for not-just not something that takes my fancy.

Although if I wake up one day and think 'god, Id love some crystal meth' il get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Ill try any drug once as long as there aint a needle involved.

or once in a blue moon

anyone ever get stung with that salvia shìt? Hella practical joke :/ funny as fùck though.. Recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It just is not worth the risk, no drugs are.
    This is so true. I was an advocate for drug decriminalisation in the past, but a tragic recent event involving my brother has forced me to rethink my position.

He was invited by the "cool kids" to hang out at on college campus when their roommates were gone for the weekend.

My brother, always a moral and thoughtful individual, wanted to attend because it was one of those massive apartment parties that he'd never been to.

Well, as was later recalled by some of his friends at the party, he was pressured into smoking hash. He ended up smoking almost the entire bag of hash cigarettes.

Not long after he went into convulsions and started foaming at the mouth. The people at the party, not wanting to bring the law down on themselves, held back calling 999 for almost 10 minutes.

When the paramedics finally arrived they could do nothing to save him.

The autopsy revealed he had 3 times the lethal dosage of THC in his blood.

But I'm sure everyone here will deny my story and the fact that my brother died after smoking that illegal narcotic.

Next time, think before you toke, guys. We've already had enough deaths in our community this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dont think I'd ever try it. Maybe if I was given a month to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Pace2008 wrote: »
    This is so true. I was an advocate for drug decriminalisation in the past, but a tragic recent event has forced me to rethink my position.

He was invited by the "cool kids" to hang out at on college campus when their roommates were gone for the weekend.

My brother, always a moral and thoughtful individual, wanted to attend because it was one of those massive apartment parties that he'd never been to.

Well, as was later recalled by some of his friends at the party, he was pressured into smoking hash. He ended up smoking almost the entire bag of hash cigarettes.

Not long after he went into convulsions and started foaming at the mouth. The people at the party, not wanting to bring the law down on themselves, held back calling 999 for almost 10 minutes.

But I'm sure everyone here will deny my story and the fact that my brother died after smoking that illegal narcotic.

Next time, think before you toke, guys. We've already had enough deaths in our community this year.

I'm so sorry about your brother Pace. RIP to him.

You likely will be told there was something else behind it, ill health, mixing it with alcohol etc. But I think we all know the truth of it whether we admit it or not.

Drugs are dangerous and the above should serve as a warning. Sadly it'll likely be seen as the worst case scenario and not something to take to heart.

Condolances Pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

He ended up smoking almost the entire bag of hash cigarettes.

Not long after he went into convulsions and started foaming at the mouth.

I'm fairly sure you're joking but as people have liked it some presumably didn't get it:
    • You would need to smoke several thousand joints in a short period to overdose on THC. x3 for "3 times the lethal dosage".
    • Nobody in recorded history has managed to do so, i.e. nobody in recorded history has died from THC overdose.
    • People who believe ODing on Cannabis is a reasonable worry are silly, silly people
    You likely will be told there was something else behind it, ill health, mixing it with alcohol etc. But I think we all know the truth of it whether we admit it or not.
    The truth is it's not practically possible to OD on THC. While technically possible in a practical sense it's pretty much impossible.

That is the truth of it whether you admit it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Nah!

Damnit, I want to post "whooooosh" for some of the last couple of replies, but the .0001% chance of doubt and looking like a complete c*nt is holding me back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's some THC 'LD50' discussion in the following link.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/nc/nc1e_2.htm

An astonishing death. Commiserations.

It is astonishing.

Basically, a person would have to ingest a pound (450g give or take..) or more of Cannabis, with a %15 THC content. Inhalation would take longer, if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I didn't know heroin was socially acceptable in Afghanistan, it's certainly not in any other Muslim country. It was a big problem in Iran as they where on the heroin trail, they had over 2 million addicts I remember hearing that was the highest per capita number of addicts in any country. They tried everything from cutting off hands to cutting off heads as a punishment and the only thing that worked was rehab. Iran supposedly has one of the best drugs rehabilitation systems in the world.

One of the major problems with addiction before prohibition was that doctors recommended these very strong drugs for everything, even the common cold. We can't really compare that time of ignorance to today where addiction is a treatable problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

You literally cant overdose on hash.
    None of the canibus related drugs that make it into this country have a high enough thc content for people to overdose on and no matter how strong the weed/hash is you would have to smoke fúcking kilos of the shít to o.d i dont believe it had anything to do with canibus.
    It's fúckin terrible that your brother died due to an o.d but i would say these so called "hash cigarettes" were the legal pre rolled shít that is pumped with chemicals.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    You literally cant overdose on hash.
    None of the canibus related drugs that make it into this country have a high enough thc content for people to overdose on and no matter how strong the weed/hash is you would have to smoke fúcking kilos of the shít to o.d i dont believe it had anything to do with canibus.
    That's a lie, over a million Irish people die from cannabis smoke every year. This is actually the island from lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Don't think I would, like heroin, its a no go.
    had an interesting chat last night with a guy doing heroin on the back of dublin bus. He said he hates it and "its sh!t" but he needs it. he said inject is to dirty and bad for you, he clearly wasnt a doctor because what he was doing wasnt much better. his ability to wrap tinfoil would make him the envy of any deli worker.
    He was a very polite guy tough, asked would it bother me if he did it, did I mind if he opened the window and even closed it for me when I was cold :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

This is so true. I was an advocate for drug decriminalisation in the past, but a tragic recent event involving my brother has forced me to rethink my position.

For anyone stupid enough to believe this story, just Google a bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The Dutch government is reclassifying high-strength cannabis to put it in the same category as hard drugs.
    It says the amount of the main active chemical in the drug, THC, has gone up, making it far more potent than a generation ago"We see cannabis with a THC content above 15% as a hard drug, which poses an unacceptable risk" to health, Dutch Vice Premier and Economic Affairs Minister Maxime Verhagen said

Re OP Don't Know why anybody would want to try crystal meth, it is a very highly addictive drug, no playing around with that stuff or it will all end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

From the very first hit of Crystal Meth, you are destroying your dopamine receptors in your brain. It becomes harder and harder to ever feel any kind of pleasure, and after a couple of times of trying to chase the initial rush from the first hit, you are addicted.

The brain damage is permanent, and you will never again feel pleasure like you did before Crystal Meth. You'll never get the same high but you'll try your hardest to find it somehow, including forgetting to wash, brush your teeth, sleep and eat. You'll have open sores all over your body and you'll grind your teeth away to nothing. You spend your time hallucinating and thinking that bugs live under your skin and you'll cut yourself open trying to get some relief.

In one year of taking meth you will look like you've aged a decade. Your skin loses its elasticity and because you forget to sleep you look exhausted. Because you forget to eat you are gaunt and skeletal.

And all this can happen by just using it once. You've a 40% chance of taking it again the second time so why play with fire at all?

It's the most horrific drug I've ever read about. Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    For anyone stupid enough to believe this story, just Google a bit of it.

Hey bud!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry but I was one of the attening paramedics.

He was most definately suffering from, what is know in medical field, 'my brother is a d'ckhead syndrome'.

RIP dude. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah and i also flew the ambulance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

Kimia wrote: »

It makes you a sex addict too. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-11-24/news/meth-and-sex/

Miranda from the 00's kids show Lizzie Maguire is a Meth Head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalaine

• Advertisement

The brain damage is permanent, and you will never again feel pleasure like you did before Crystal Meth. You'll never get the same high but you'll try your hardest to find it somehow, including forgetting to wash, brush your teeth, sleep and eat. You'll have open sores all over your body and you'll grind your teeth away to nothing..

And all this can happen by just using it once. You've a 40% chance of taking it again the second time so why play with fire at all?
    Strange that the FDA left some of those side effects out in their guide on using methamphetamine, you seem so certain about them.
    methamphetamine is prescribed to kids in the US.

heres the US food & drug administration medication guide for it for kids where you can read dangers without the sensationalist hype of other government agencies
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088582.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

From the very first hit of Crystal Meth, you are destroying your dopamine receptors in your brain. It becomes harder and harder to ever feel any kind of pleasure, and after a couple of times of trying to chase the initial rush from the first hit, you are addicted.

The brain damage is permanent, and you will never again feel pleasure like you did before Crystal Meth. You'll never get the same high but you'll try your hardest to find it somehow, including forgetting to wash, brush your teeth, sleep and eat. You'll have open sores all over your body and you'll grind your teeth away to nothing. You spend your time hallucinating and thinking that bugs live under your skin and you'll cut yourself open trying to get some relief.

In one year of taking meth you will look like you've aged a decade. Your skin loses its elasticity and because you forget to sleep you look exhausted. Because you forget to eat you are gaunt and skeletal.

That sounds like sensationalist BS. People have been and still are administered speed-like drugs for years. How is crystalised methamphetamine any different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It just is not worth the risk, no drugs are.

I'm sorry but I find this story incredibly difficult to believe.

There has AFAIK never been a recorded death where the cause was THC. Panic attacks for sure, asthma attacks (from inhaling the smoke) probably, psychotic episodes resulting from being out of it probably but not a death directly attributable to THC.

On the issue of crystal meth ...nope, not for me!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find thus story incredibly difficult to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Customs officers are on crack if they think 2.5 kgs of ice is worth 250000 on another note yeah I would try crystal meth purely for its slimming effects.

• Advertisement

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Customs officers are on crack if they think 2.5 kgs of ice is worth 250000 on another note yeah I would try crystal meth purely for its slimming effects.

Why? Works out at 100 quid a gram. It was likely going to be cut to **** anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

amacachi wrote: »
    Why? Works out at 100 quid a gram. It was likely going to be cut to **** anyway.

A 100 quid a gram, twice the price of coke for something that can be knocked up in a garden shed oh and you can't really cut ice like you can't cut crack.

To be fair to customs here, since there's (for now) a limited market and even more limited production/supply facility for meth here, it's probably hard to put a truly accurate street value on it, but that said 100 quid a gram is ridiculous as well...the very reason for it's prevalence in poorer countries is the bang for buck...to equate it to street deals of cocaine is bordering on incredulous...but the general public don't care about that and just want to be dazzled by made up numbers and quirky street names for th substance...

That story on the Dutch looking to reclassify skunk and other strong plants to class A and wipe out the coffee shop culture really belongs in it's own thread... farily radical proposal.
    The move by local Maastricht officials to ban people who aren't Dutch, German or Belgian from using coffee shops is a nice move to...may as well say "No English Allowed" and is surely impinging on some or other EU rule...

Finally condolences to Pace2008 on the death of his joke...

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    A 100 quid a gram, twice the price of coke for something that can be knocked up in a garden shed oh and you can't really cut ice like you can't cut crack.

If it was 80% pure and cut to 1/4 strength it would still be 20% (high for street drugs) and be 20 quid a gram.

realies wrote: »
    The Dutch government is reclassifying high-strength cannabis to put it in the same category as hard drugs.
    It says the amount of the main active chemical in the drug, THC, has gone up, making it far more potent than a generation ago"We see cannabis with a THC content above 15% as a hard drug, which poses an unacceptable risk" to health, Dutch Vice Premier and Economic Affairs Minister Maxime Verhagen said
    That is just a statement and I don't think it's based on anything other than their opinion. There is a lot of strong weed around now but there's also a huge amount of variety (in places like Netherlands and California there is). Did you know you can get wine with a variety of alcohol strength and it's up to the person to decide which wine they like.

It wouldn't matter if there was 50% THC in weed it would just mean you got stoned on less of it.
    You'll never get the same high but you'll try your hardest to find it somehow, including forgetting to wash, brush your teeth, sleep and eat.
    Those aren't highs. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

this is the cheapest drug Ive ever been offered, there were even guys using it at a concert i was at and throwing away leftovers in the bag (highly flagrant :)) it was that cheap, so 100 a gram is fanciful, more like 20.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No...too scared, can't even take cannabis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

ScumLord wrote: »
    That is just a statement and I don't think it's based on anything other than their opinion. There is a lot of strong weed around now but there's also a huge amount of variety (in places like Netherlands and California there is).

The Dutch government are making moves to stop the toleration of weed in the country. They expect to have all coffee shops private member clubs by the end of the year with the eventual goal of shutting them down (a lot of coffee shops rely on tourism as the Netherlands has one of the lowest population of cannabis smokers in Europe).

I'm actually heading over there Friday to beat the ban :D.

Although the concept of 15% content being a "hard drug" is ridiculous, people have been smoking up to 20% for years (maybe more, and that's not even mentioning hashes or pollens).

Figures I saw mentioned reckoned that it would cut out about 80-85% of currently available strains and solids from legal sale...we'll all be smoking thai stick and sensi...
    Might be time for a flying visit.

realies wrote: »

This is a terrible argument, because all you have to do is smoke less to get the same effect. It's like comparing beer with wine. In fact, it could be argued that higher potency Cannabis is beneficial as you have to inhale fewer byproducts of combustion.
    Spunge wrote:
    That sounds like sensationalist BS. People have been and still are administered speed-like drugs for years. How is crystalised methamphetamine any different.

Long-term amphetamine use can cause dopamine neurotoxicity; methamphetamine moreso.

• Advertisement
Advertisement