Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish tattoo review blog

Options
  • 29-09-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I've had this idea burning away for some time now. Would there be any interest in reading a blog, updated weekly, reviewing artists in Ireland and the work they carry out?

Do you think it's fair to review tattoo artists or is the fact that they tend to develop their skills over time a reason why a negative review might put them in a bad light further down the line? There is a bit of a taboo around tattoo artists having to be respected until they are deemed to be truly woeful. In my opinion the standard has raised itself very high in Ireland the world in general(although we had it fairly piss port for years as some older portfolios would point to)

I'd have a leg to start on anyway and would probably take it from there to reach out to studios and artists I don't know. Just wondering.

I think the main reason why I wouldn't do it is because a picture should speak as a review of the artist. But sometimes, in fact more than once, I've seen **** pictures taken of fantastic photos and it's not done the work any justice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you had interviews with the artist and they allowed you to post up a few of their sketches\works then yeah it'd probably be a good idea.

I'd say that would be the only way it would differentiate between a parlour\artist uploading pics of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The artist wont appreciate a bad review and the person who got the bad tattoo wont appreciate someone on the internet telling them their tattoo sucks.

I do agree that there are some shocking tattoo "artists" in this country (and every country to be fair)

You might want to consider what the ramifications legally might be as too many bad review could lead to a serious drop in someones business and they may come looking for someone to blame (legally). Probably not but worth checking out to see if you're protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Agreed, that was probably one of my primary concerns. A system of review is an interesting one though. If you were an independent reviewer what level of permission would you need(if any) and is it a case of not being allowed to review someone's work badly? How is this contested if you were to badly review an art exhibition? Could you be open to legal action for pointing out short comings in someone's day job?

Just to be clear I'm not trying to defend the position of a potential reviewer, I'm genuinely interested to know what could happen!

Also what if the review was written with the permission of the person with the actual tattoo, perhaps that person could have input in the direction of the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

Agreed, that was probably one of my primary concerns. A system of review is an interesting one though. If you were an independent reviewer what level of permission would you need(if any) and is it a case of not being allowed to review someone's work badly? How is this contested if you were to badly review an art exhibition? Could you be open to legal action for pointing out short comings in someone's day job?

Just to be clear I'm not trying to defend the position of a potential reviewer, I'm genuinely interested to know what could happen!

Also what if the review was written with the permission of the person with the actual tattoo, perhaps that person could have input in the direction of the article.

I believe this would be considered a very important part of the review process.
    i the customer can describe the overall experience as in the waiting time, comport etc.
    as Ive read the quicker the artist works and the better the artist is there will be less irritation to the skin which in turn means less pain and quicker healing (please correct if wrong) Information like that would be great as it could save somebody from a shocking or disastrous revelation

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

So what if the site was actually user submitted content. Or maybe inter questions type thing. e.g So what prompted you to visit this studio over the others in your area?Well my friends had some work done there and I really liked it and thought they could do a good job for me! etc etc.

And you could discuss the accuracy at which your idea was carried out or the submitted art. What the treatment and general vibe in the studio was like as you were attending your session etc. So much less a review blog and more of a user experience site.

Would that even be of any interest to people? Would anyone be willing to take part?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

I would personaly love something like this as I'am currently running around like a headless chicken looking at portfolios of VARIOUS artists and while some of heir work would be way better then what i would expect from a tattoo Iam still still very cautious as I don't know what their mannerisms are weather they like to to dig the skin off ye or if they can move quick enough to cause less irritation to the skin while still providing a professional result I think thats what should be reviewed. More the artists technique and demeanour then his/her artwork as tattoo's and the art that inspired then are constantly discussed but I can find little about the actual artists other then their own blurb that the put up on their own sites or the odd blogger saying "Yeah he's OK"

Advertisement