Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in main building

Options
  • 29-09-2011 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

Anyone any information on an accident in the main building, saw a person stretchered away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

When was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

about 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Just saw an ambulance,
    Not a notion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I saw an ambulance too, didn't really dawn on me that there might have been an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

you saw an ambulance and it didn't dawn on you that there might be an accident?
    Please tell me you're kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There wasn't an accident and the individual stretchered away is fine.

That's as much as anyone needs to know.

who are you to decide who needs to know what

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Someone who knows the individual involved. Who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

who are you to decide who needs to know what

Seriously? What business is it of yours?

Maybe someone was shot? Wouldn't it be my business to know if a criminal assault or shooting had taken place.

Maybe a ceiling tile fell from above and struck a student in the head? Would it not be my business to know if the building was safe for students?

A more dignified, sensible and mature answer would have been to say
    An individual experienced an acute medical episode, was taken by ambulance to the MWRH and is now in recovery.

Thus, you able to explain to the greater student body there is no community or public health risk and there is no health and safety dangers within campus. You are able to maintain the privacy of the individual involved but at the same time assure concerned parties everything is under control.

Some times I wonder if the SU president has any respect for the students, he seems to take every opportunity to whinge, complain or just act with a general petulant attitude. If he didn't want to do this job he shouldn't have signed up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

for what it's worth sid, i heard a 4th yr law student suffered a heart attack. hope he is ok.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Maybe someone was shot? Wouldn't it be my business to know if a criminal assault or shooting had taken place.

Maybe a ceiling tile fell from above and struck a student in the head? Would it not be my business to know if the building was safe for students?

Thus, you able to explain to the greater student body there is no community or public health risk and there is no health and safety dangers within campus. You are able to maintain the privacy of the individual involved but at the same time assure concerned parties everything is under control.

Some times I wonder if the SU president has any respect for the students, he seems to take every opportunity to whinge, complain or just act with a general petulant attitude. If he didn't want to do this job he shouldn't have signed up for it.

Or...

The person involved would prefer not to have this talked about and kept private?

We don't need to know every little detail of incidents like this. Those that warrant enough attention to be put in the public domain will be put in the public domain.

I wish the student involved a speedy recovery.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Or...

The person involved would prefer not to have this talked about and kept private?

We don't need to know every little detail of incidents like this. Those that warrant enough attention to be put in the public domain will be put in the public domain.

I wish the student involved a speedy recovery.

If an event happens in a public place, it isn't completely inappropriate for the public to talk about it in a public forum. There is no privacy or confidentiality issue. No one is asking for names, excessive details, bank account numbers. Irish obsession with concealing things is rampant here. You wouldn't be a personal friend of Derek Daly would you? I find your rampant jump to defend his earlier proclamation a bit suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

In fairness..you have to take into account the privacy of the individual in question...expressing what happened on the internet is only likely to cause more rumours and embarrassment for the individual in question.

your examples are fair but in the event of either of those happening the uni would more than likely inform the student population of the danger and warn people away. Since they havent its probably unlikely that either have happened and therefore it is a issue that should be left private so as not to cause any embarrassment to the individual in question.
    An individual experienced an acute medical episode, was taken by ambulance to the MWRH and is now in recovery.
    This is actually a good way of putting it and is very professional

however....

Derek isn't just a president..hes a guy with friends and a normal life outside the SU. When it comes to people he knows having an accident that seems to have no threat to anyone else, hes entitled to want to put things to rest as discreetly and quietly as possible, the same way any of us would react I think you can understand why he would want to put the issue to bed and might come across as a bit short. I can guarantee you if someone i knew had an accident/scare and i saw a thread like this i probably would have said the same thing
    for what it's worth sid, i heard a 4th yr law student suffered a heart attack.

lets not start a rumourmill here..
    hope he is ok.
    agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Heard some fella had an accident involving the zip of his jeans.

Wish him a speedy recovery, my thoughts go out to him at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

mty92 wrote: »
    Heard some fella had an accident involving the zip of his jeans.

Wish him a speedy recovery, my thoughts go out to him at this moment in time.
    Thats not true. the person suffers from a medical condition and became unwell during a class.

If an event happens in a public place, it isn't completely inappropriate for the public to talk about it in a public forum. There is no privacy or confidentiality issue. No one is asking for names, excessive details, bank account numbers. Irish obsession with concealing things is rampant here. You wouldn't be a personal friend of Derek Daly would you? I find your rampant jump to defend his earlier proclamation a bit suspicious.

Tetchy, tetchy.. :pac:

I actually end up on the opposite side of the debate to Derek on Boards the vast, vast majority of the time. Don't know him at all IRL :P

ok pal np

Advertisement