Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiminay's further adventures in stressing out about upgrades...

Options
  • 29-09-2011 1:57pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, so I'm back :)

I have decided to dig my Antec P900 case out of retirement and switch back to an ATX build as it'll simply be easier to manage overall. I was on mATX cause it'd be easier to LAN with, but I don't really go to any lans any more, so what's the point. The other side of that is, I'm reasonably sure I'll get a few quid for the Nzxt Rogue case I have, so it's not all bad :p

For video, I've already got a 1GB 6950 which I bought as a stop gap upgrade, but it's covering the sata ports on my existing mobo (Asus P5EVM-HDMI), so I can't use it :(

My budget isn't huge, so I'm still leaning toward an AMD build and have looked at the ASRock 990FX as there's Bulldozer support, so here's what I looked at.
    Total build cost: €377.21 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu PC3-10667U CL9 €43.69
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Box Black Edition, Sockel AM3 €125.85
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4, AM3+, ATX €149.93
    SteelSeries Xai Gaming Mouse €57.74

The alternative is of course the tried and trusted i5 2500k and at deconduo's suggestion, the ASRock Extreme4 P67 motherboard as there's also the option for the SSD caching which is a nice touch.
    Total build cost: €420.77 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu PC3-10667U CL9 €43.69
    SteelSeries Xai Gaming Mouse €57.74
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 €186.75
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €132.59

I need a new mouse, fancied giving Steel Series a go cause they support e-sports. Went with the Kingston Hyper-X RAM for exactly the same reason and silly things like this:

The Intel build puts me way over though, I need this to be as close to €300 as possible and at a pinch, can live without the Xai mouse for another while.

Battlefield 3 is coming, so I'm looking at making the orders for this within the next week, so all thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks as always guys :)

Comments

Advertisement