Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle Fire

Options
  • 29-09-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Looks quite good but apparantly we're not getting it over here :(

Got loads of ebooks for college and i'd really like that :rolleyes:

It's a 1ghz dual core, 512mb ram, 8gb storage and a 7" screen with Gorilla glass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Hopefully will have some family member on holiday in the States at some stage and can get one shipped to them and they can bring it home.

AFAIK the Silk browser won't work as intended if you're outside the States as it uses the Amazon Cloud to speed it up and I'm not sure if this will work, there is an option though to turn off the Silk browser and use the browser like a conventional one.

So the only services you would have on the Kindle are:

The App Store (this works on my android phone so should be ok)
    The Kindle store (as above, and I can purchase books from the US)

The MP3 store and Movies/TV shows won't work and you'll just have to load them on using the 8GB internal memory.

No SD slot is a huge draw-back as well as a 16GB would be nice and handy to circumvent the movies/tv issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No SD slot is a huge draw-back as well as a 16GB would be nice and handy to circumvent the movies/tv issue.

But that's missing the whole point of the device.

It is not intended for offline media consumption, the intention is to be connected all of the time, with media being stored in the cloud.

I don't think the device is worth buying for use over here. The true benefit from using the device is all the media services that Amazon provide. Not having some of them over here makes the device less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Do you think it would be possible to install Cyanogen on one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'd hazard a guess and say YES.... eventually.

Advertisement