Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition Hard Drive tools

Options
  • 29-09-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I want to redistribute the memory on the different partitions on my laptop (runs Vista). I shrunk the primary partition but am unable to extend the main dirve that runs the OS.
    Can anyone reccomend any good partition tools that I might be able to use for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The primary partition is usually what has the OS installed!? Isn't it?

You could give Gparted a try. I think you can live boot this so just burn the iso to a cd and boot from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Not according to the labeling on my computer. :)

I was hoping for something a little more straightforward - I've noticed that some tools are seem to just require downloading and following steps (these mostly seem to be paid tools though).

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Not according to the labeling on my computer. :)

I was hoping for something a little more straightforward - I've noticed that some tools are seem to just require downloading and following steps (these mostly seem to be paid tools though).

firstly you will not be able to modify a hdd partition if you are running windows from that partition..so you are going to have to boot from some other recovery disc or linux live cd..

i suggest Gpsrted also it's a linux live cd.. download the iso just burn it to a cd...shut down windows properly.. then boot from the cd.. to boot from the cd..power on the computer and press F12 straight away..(might be different on some machines) this will bring up a one time boot menu and choose boot from cd/optical drive. then after that just keep going till you get to the partition editor and take it from there

• Site Banned Posts: 6 you_me1314

free partition managers are available for solving your problem, like Gparted software, partition assistant HOME edition, etc are all available for your Vista. go and learn more about partition assistant, which is recommended by many users and it also helped me resize my windows 7 partitions for many times like partition magic windows 7. (:
    here i offer you the download link directly:
    http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Partition-Assistant-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-75118871.html

Advertisement