Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish degree help

Options
  • 29-09-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

HEllo all,thanks for taking time to read this. JUst looking for some speedy advice! I am currently in second year in nuim,last year I took beginners Spanish and geography and anthropology.however this year I am taking intermediate Spanish and geography.I am feeling very overwhelmed and disheartened as our Spanish clas is mixed levels and its such a change from last year.I never thought itd be easy but I'm really worried at how lost I am. I got a first last year in spanish so mustn't have been that bad at it! ANyway I am now considering taking anthropology instead of Spanish but don't have much time to decide. after college I want to do primary school teaching so just need a degree for hdip. as a second preferance I would do secondary school teaching. would also like to get into conservation work or ngo or charity work also. can any one shed some light on what maybe be the best course of action to take or if anyone studied these language combinations could you let me know how you got on and what area you have worked in?sorry for long post,my head is wrecked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Hey,

I did Spanish in NUIM 2 years ago, and what I would strongly recommend is talking to your year co-ordinator, and chatting to one of the language assistants as well.

It's easy to think "ah sure it's only Spanish", but if you put the work in and work as hard at it as you do other subjects, it does get easier.

Number one tip for NUIMers would be don't skip the bloody language labs. Yes, they're not the most riveting of classes and they take up valuable tea time but they do actually start to sink in after a while. Same for the grammar classes, they will be your backbone.

I work in Travel now, but still have a strong desire to go back and do the MA. Get chatting to COL if you can, I think she's on sabbatical until Feb, but COL or JW are fantastic lecturers and very good listeners. The Spanish Dept is designed to cater for all levels, so if you feel overwhelmed in your class, you can move to another where the flow might suit you better.

PM me if you have any specific questions but I would stick with the language, you say you want to do conservation/charity/ngo work- hello South America! :)

Advertisement