Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single speed 29er disc-compatible wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

An axle swap takes about five mins not a big deal,well maybe ten if you happen to drop some bearings on the floor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

quick release is fine on track ends, but an allen key skewer rather than a road skewer. nuts would be better if you do big standing starts.

as mentioned above me you can easily swap out the hollow axle for a longer solid axle, shimano dont use cartridge bearings so you dont have to worry about using a specific axle.
    the axle could also be 14mm inside and machined to 10mm outside which might make finding a longer axle for track nut use dificult

The axle is standard,I think it's 10x1mm which is the usual size and thread pitch of lower end Shimano,if memory serves me right of course! So any cheap rear cro-mo axle should do just fine add a couple of track nuts and BOOM jobs a good un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Holyboy wrote: »
    The axle is standard,I think it's 10x1mm which is the usual size and thread pitch of lower end Shimano,if memory serves me right of course! So any cheap rear cro-mo axle should do just fine add a couple of track nuts and BOOM jobs a good un.

what he said ! Or just go with the quick release. If it's good enough for Shelton, it's good enough for Lumen

P.s. Why do you need a backup wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gavin wrote: »
    P.s. Why do you need a backup wheel?

Crashed bike. Hub gears are slipping. Need to swap wheel while I get hub inspected.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Crashed bike. Hub gears are slipping. Need to swap wheel while I get hub inspected.

Oh dear crashed already! I'd be very surprised if it damaged the hub internals in any way, 95% of the time with IGHs it's the cable or shifter that is to blame, hope you're OK though.

Oh and it's very hard to work on an IGH with out the rest of the bike so your cunning plan may be foiled (isn't that the saying? it sounded right in my head but looks odd when typed!)

Advertisement