Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Indian roti/ chapati

Options
  • 29-09-2011 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I have just started making my own Indian flatbread (roti, chapati) but am finding they are turning out much harder than they should, and aren't cooked properly all the way through (yet totally browned on the outside). I have looked at some youtube videos and their dough seems to be very light and squidgy - mine is pliable and soft but much heavier.

I am using flour, salt, oil and water to make the dough, then I leave it for about half an hour. Roll it out and fry it in a dry pan over a medium flame, press down to make it puff up. Half the time they don't puff up at all but just lie there all limp, gah!

Any tips on how to make my chapatis softer and how to cook them properly so they are golden but cooked all the way through? Nothing as off-putting as biting into half-raw dough! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Are you using the right kind of flour? I bought chapati flour after seeing this video but I never got round to trying it. In the comments someone is saying theirs are coming out like tortillas with self-raising flour.

Just a thought. Not speaking for experience, really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've made chapatis in the past, and used proper chapati flour because i could get hold of it easily, although I have to confess I'm not really sure what makes it different to normal wholemeal flour to be honest. They came out pretty well as I recall, although you really do have to roll them out pretty thin otherwise they can be a bit doughy as you mentioned. I seem to vaguely remember pressing them down with a rolled up damp tea towel to make them puff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is how I always make roti and although they are a little time consuming they are utterly addictive and so delicious with curry or dhal. They've also never gone wrong for me.

Roti (Makes 4 rotis):

Half cup plain flour
    Quarter cup lukewarm water
    Splash olive oil
    Dash garlic powder, dash dried coriander leaves, plenty of salt and pepper

Method:

Form a soft dough with the roti ingredients and knead on a floured board for a minute or two. Set a dry frying pan (or cast iron skillet if you have one) to medium. Divide dough in 4. Form 4 small balls. Roll out thinly with a rolling pin. Spray a thin coating of oil on the hot pan (or wipe a little oil on with a kitchen towel). Place one roti on the pan until bubbles rise on it. Flip it over and allow bubbles to rise again. Flip it a second time and this time it will start to puff up. Gently press the air out so that it evenly disperses. Eat quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

I must try this; we have a huge sack of atta flour which needs using - we were making a lot of bread at one point but the enthusiasm waned and this flour is a little past its prime, but seems OK still. I made bread with it the other day and it came out very dense and heavy (but we actually like our bread like that, so all to the good) but actual chapatti are probably a better application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I use self raising flour, and you have to flip it twice. You need to make a 'skin' on the top side before it puffs up! Not too much of a hard skin, just barely cook it - but enough to trap the air in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement