Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accountancy jobs

• 29-09-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I know there is a massive surplus in business study teachers
    I'm an accountant with many years of experience and believe I have a huge amount to offer to students when trained as a teacher.
    Just looking for peoples direct experience of the difficulty of getting subbing work in teaching accountancy ,economics and business.
    I could travel all of Dublin city,parts of Meath and parts of Kildare
    How many hours is it typical to get as a sub?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Chicke wrote: »
    I know there is a massive surplus in business study teachers
    I'm an accountant with many years of experience and believe I have a huge amount to offer to students when trained as a teacher.
    Just looking for peoples direct experience of the difficulty of getting subbing work in teaching accountancy ,economics and business.
    I could travel all of Dublin city,parts of Meath and parts of Kildare
    How many hours is it typical to get as a sub?
    Thanks

Do you mean you want to sub before you qualify as a teacher?
    You will find it nearly impossible if this is the case. You are unqualified and there are hundreds of unemployed qualified teachers available to sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chicke

No ,not at all.Just wondering if iget the pgde and qualify,are there opps for subs in that area. I hope there is I am able go travel through most of county and city Dublin,parts of meath and Kildare.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

No ,not at all.Just wondering if iget the pgde and qualify,are there opps for subs in that area. I hope there is I am able go travel through most of county and city Dublin,parts of meath and Kildare.
    Thanks

Are you in employment? If so I wouldn't do it personally. I'd wait til the situation improves. You've said it yourself, there is an over supply in your subject as well as an over supply in the whole sector. In 2007 it was takin second level teachers 10 years to find a permanent job. The situation is now much much worse and not improving.

However if it is a vocation for you and you are prepared for a very tough 10 years odd before any kind of full time job then go for it. I did. I know it's tough but I enjoy my job and I went in with my eyes open. If you are prepared for the lack of job security it can be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

As above, plus it'd be tough enough to get the business pgde entry as well.

Thanks everyone.
    Im not concerned about a permanent job but I would not be able to spend time back in college if I didn't think there was subbing work.
    Is there subbing work do you think.
    Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Thanks everyone.
    Im not concerned about a permanent job but I would not be able to spend time back in college if I didn't think there was subbing work.
    Thanks a mill

Subbing work is also thin on the ground now.
    You could strike it lucky and get a few hours here and there, but that is a massive risk to take.
    I know many teachers who can't get any subbing at all.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    Thanks a mill

Subbing work is also thin on the ground now.
    You could strike it lucky and get a few hours here and there, but that is a massive risk to take.
    I know many teachers who can't get any subbing at all.

And even those who can cannot get anything close to full hours. The sub teachers in my school are varying from 5-20 hrs a week with wild swings in between. Plus there are so many of us that even if a teacher is absent we all get like one class cover if we're lucky. I'm not on full hours and I got not one class sub cover this week but that's just the way it was

Ok,thanks for the advice.
    Are the teachers who can't get any subbing that you know confining themselves geographically.I find it hard to believe that if you had yourself available to say all of the dublin area and parts of other counties ,that you couldn't pick up some hours. I have friends who are primary teachers who find the d15 area alone great
    Thanks

Ok,thanks for the advice.
    Are the teachers who can't get any subbing that you know confining themselves geographically.I find it hard to believe that if you had yourself available to say all of the dublin area and parts of other counties ,that you couldn't pick up some hours. I have friends who are primary teachers who find the d15 area alone great
    Thanks
    Primary school is very different, there you get the day subbing or nothing. At second level you could have anything from one 35 minute period to nearly a full day and the staff who are in the school but not on full will be filled before any outside sub is called in. You could actually get less hours if you try to avoid confining yourself to a couple of schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andee

you would have a better chance of getting sub work as a primary school teacher as there are a lot of small and large primary schools about in each county and a qualified primary school teacher is qualified teach any class from junior infants to 6th class (however i am aware of the surplus of primary teachers competing for this sub work too)

where as with secondary you are generally restricted by your subjects so you are limited to your subjects in the school. Also there are fewer secondary schools than primary (albeit bigger numbers in the school).

there is a huge over supply of business teachers. In addition, accounting is not always ran as a leaving cert subject in schools. Some schools have it every year, others every second or third year - depending on student demand whilst other schools may never offer it. they may be restriced by lack of student demand for the subject or have permanent teachers in other subjects they need to use hence they have to offer subjects they are qualified to teach

• Advertisement
Advertisement