Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canal fishing?????

Options
  • 29-09-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hello
    i want to start fishing the canal around d15 do u need a licence?
    also could anyone recommend a cheap rod and reel, line hooks, spinners for the task. i was thinking of using maggots and i heard sweetcorn is good for bait if anyone has any sugguestions,
    cheers thanks

p.s does anyone ever eat any of the fish out of the canal i would put them back obviously but ive also wondered

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

cheap rod and float setup with maggots will do. waterways ireland canals are catch n release only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

ciaranott wrote: »
    hello
    i want to start fishing the canal around d15 do u need a licence?
    also could anyone recommend a cheap rod and reel, line hooks, spinners for the task. i was thinking of using maggots and i heard sweetcorn is good for bait if anyone has any sugguestions,
    cheers thanks

p.s does anyone ever eat any of the fish out of the canal i would put them back obviously but ive also wondered

No licence required.

as a minimum you will need a cheap rod and reel. size 14 hooks and a disgorger for unhooking (very important)

Red maggots and a little goundbait seems to work best.

As del mentioned above it's fishing for sport on the canal with compulsory catch and release. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Macspower wrote: »
    As del mentioned above it's fishing for sport on the canal with compulsory catch and release.

Is this under the '86/ '88 Canal Acts?

Bizzum wrote: »

from the waterways ireland bylaw

33. FishingThis Bye-law formalises Waterways Ireland’s Catch and Release rule wherebyfish caught in the navigations under its ownership must be returned. The taking of fish from these navigations, as specified in Appendix 4, is considered a breach of this Bye-law.

PenaltiesThe introduction of Fixed Payment Notices against persons found guilty of anoffence under these Bye-laws, is a move by Waterways Ireland to bring aboutgreater compliance. Fines may also be levied on summary conviction up to€5,000.39. Complaints and appealsComplaints relating to decisions taken by Waterways Ireland on Bye-lawcontraventions should in the first instance be sent to Waterways Ireland’sCustomer Services Co-ordinator. A person also has the option of challengingWaterways Ireland’s decisions through the District County Court, provided theappeal is submitted within 6 weeks of the decision being communicated

Thanks for that Macspower.
    I can't however find it in the Irish Statute Book.
    Would you have an SI no.?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Macspower.
    I can't however find it in the Irish Statute Book.
    Would you have an SI no.?

Delsalmon below might be the man to speak to as I copied and pasted it from a post of his on another fishing forum..

Delsalmon below might be the man to speak to as I copied and pasted it from a post of his on another fishing forum..

OK. Thanks for that.
    I'll throw the question over to Delsalmon so?

wi have been cnr since the erecting of their cnr signs, but their byelaws havent been updated. the above sections that mac has posted are from a draft proposal which is being put through at the moment

I would contend that the Canals (Royal/Grand) are not in fact C&R but subject to the 06 legislation governing Coarse Fishing. The bye laws being:

THE CONSERVATION OF AND PROHIBITION OF THE SALE OF COARSE FISH BYE LAW NO. 806 (2006) .

THE CONSERVATION OF PIKE BYE LAW NO. 809 (2006).

THE CONSERVATION OF EEL BYE LAW NO. 303 (2009).

There is nothing in my opinion in the current legislation precluding an angler from exercising his rights under the above regulations.
    Unpalatable as it seems, an angler is within his rights to kill 4 Roach, or Perch or indeed Tench per day under 25cms.
    It is my opinion that this is unsustainable in the Canals and proper legislation is long onerdue to prohibit the Legal decimation of a valuable fishery resource.
    A simple Bye Law prohibiting the killing of any fish from the Canals (Ie. Catch and Release only) is the obvious choice.

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/1031Consultation
    the wi canals are the responsibity and care of wi, if they say its cnr, put cnr signs up, then im hopin they are cnr, their new byelaw will cement this rule in stone once and for all. any authorised wi employee, or authorised agent has the power to enforce any rules of wi. if a member of the public does not do as instructed by a wi official, this itself is an offense

• Advertisement

delsalmon wrote: »
    http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/1031Consultation
    the wi canals are the responsibity and care of wi, if they say its cnr, put cnr signs up, then im hopin they are cnr, their new byelaw will cement this rule in stone once and for all. any authorised wi employee, or authorised agent has the power to enforce any rules of wi. if a member of the public does not do as instructed by a wi official, this itself is an offense

It's my opinion that WI staff haven't got the expertise, the experience, or the will to enforce fishery legislation.
    IFI exist to enforce fishery regulations, I don't see another government body being charged with this job!
    WI have erected signage alright but have they issued legal proceedings against anyone? Or are they actively enforcing it?
    We all know the answer to these questions.
    I hope there is a decent Bye law to ensure C&R in the Canal's it galls me to see groups of "anglers" day after day going home with their 4 fish.

As things stand at the present, C&R is not enforsable on the Canals.

the way it works bizzum is that ifi are charged with fisheries management on the canals ie stocking, patrols etc, also any volunteer waterkeeper who has canal areas on his warrant would be considered an authorised officer too.

delsalmon wrote: »
    the way it works bizzum is that ifi are charged with fisheries management on the canals ie stocking, patrols etc, also any volunteer waterkeeper who has canal areas on his warrant would be considered an authorised officer too.

I know exactly how it works!

A volunteer waterkeeper ( section 294) is not an authorised officer. That's another issue though.
    The point I was making is this: As the law stands at the moment, catch & release has no legal backing on the Canal.
    This in my opinion is to the detriment of coarse fish stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

from the waterways ireland bylaw

33. FishingThis Bye-law formalises Waterways Ireland’s Catch and Release rule wherebyfish caught in the navigations under its ownership must be returned. The taking of fish from these navigations, as specified in Appendix 4, is considered a breach of this Bye-law.

PenaltiesThe introduction of Fixed Payment Notices against persons found guilty of anoffence under these Bye-laws, is a move by Waterways Ireland to bring aboutgreater compliance. Fines may also be levied on summary conviction up to€5,000.39. Complaints and appealsComplaints relating to decisions taken by Waterways Ireland on Bye-lawcontraventions should in the first instance be sent to Waterways Ireland’sCustomer Services Co-ordinator. A person also has the option of challengingWaterways Ireland’s decisions through the District County Court, provided theappeal is submitted within 6 weeks of the decision being communicated

What's the law on if a fish take the hook to far and u every thing u can to save it by using all the right gear but u know its gonna die soon as u return back to the water

What's the law on if a fish take the hook to far and u every thing u can to save it by using all the right gear but u know its gonna die soon as u return back to the water

Specifically what type of fish Jay?

Well bizzum roach rudd and bream

If the above fish was less than 25cm (or about 10") Bye Law 806 would allow you (Almost nationwide) to take and kill said fish. Indeed 4 such fish are permitted where this law applies.
    If the fish was above this 25cm limit, the same Bye Law would have you return the fish., 'without avoidable injury'.

I would expect common sense to prevail. I have seen fish dead as a result of being angled hard, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

If the above fish was less than 25cm (or about 10") Bye Law 806 would allow you (Almost nationwide) to take and kill said fish. Indeed 4 such fish are permitted where this law applies.
    If the fish was above this 25cm limit, the same Bye Law would have you return the fish., 'without avoidable injury'.

I would expect common sense to prevail. I have seen fish dead as a result of being angled hard, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks bizzum I wasn't too sure I never angle hard its just sometimes they will take the hook not always

• Advertisement

Thanks bizzum I wasn't too sure I never angle hard its just sometimes they will take the hook not always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I just wanted to get confirmation on a few things before I jump back into the world of canal fishing. Used to fish when I was in my teens, over a decade ago and I would like to get back into it. Will be doing canal (float) fishing in Leinster, mostly in Kildare and just wanted to double check that I don't need a permit of any sort.

On tackle, what good stores are there about in Dublin city centre for float fishing rods and the necessary tackle. Am I required to use barbless hooks? On bait, are maggots or sweetcorn still the best of roach, perch, bream and tench?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

COYW wrote: »
    I just wanted to get confirmation on a few things before I jump back into the world of canal fishing. Used to fish when I was in my teens, over a decade ago and I would like to get back into it. Will be doing canal (float) fishing in Leinster, mostly in Kildare and just wanted to double check that I don't need a permit of any sort.

On tackle, what good stores are there about in Dublin city centre for float fishing rods and the necessary tackle. Am I required to use barbless hooks? On bait, are maggots or sweetcorn still the best of roach, perch, bream and tench?

Thanks in advance.

No permits are required for the canals!
    Southside Angling have a great selection of gear and the lads in there are very helpful. There are no restrictions on hooks.

Maggots still work grand, it's all in the presentation really. My best results are on fine wire size 18's tied to 0.08mm line.

G.

Advertisement